PDA

View Full Version : 4 ply or 6 ply?

nj87ttype
04-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Well I decided to buy a tire/wheel package for the rear, but i dont know what will be the best combo for me. I mostly ride trails & some sand also. Will I be fine with just 4 ply's with an 8 or 9 inch wheel (with 20in tire) or are the 6 ply's better for the kind of riding I do? I dont really do anything hardcore other than a few small jumps here & there, some medium size hill climbing & I like to drag race sometimes. Also, I ride my g/f on the back sometimes (I dont know if that matters or not). Any info is appreciated. -Dave

SnowFlake
04-06-2004, 04:30 PM
well i had 6ply tires on my blaster and ride mostly trails and i never popped them and took it through some rough trail.

-pat

redrunner
04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
I run 22/6plys right now and they have gone through everything and then some. I have heard that they are not the greatest for sand though. Unless you are really concerned about weight I would go with 6ply. I am going with a set of 20's soon for a little better low end.
As far as riding your g/f on the back not to cool. sorry that is the Dad in me speaking.;)

SRH
04-06-2004, 08:13 PM
6 ply will go through alot , on my holeshot xcs i had i ran them for about 3 seasons, mx, xc style riding no holes, but they did kill the power a lil, if you do sand id get 4 ply

KY Woods Rider
04-06-2004, 08:46 PM
If you don't plan to be in the really gnarly terrain where sharp objects are common, then the 4-ply will do just fine.

If you ride trails where sharp rocks, roots, stumps, etc are common, then you'd be better off to get the 6-ply just to have a little extra insurance.

The 4-ply Razrs are fine for most average trail riders who ride fairly well-groomed trails. I prefer the 6-ply for my riding though, because where I ride, it doesn't matter how carefully you pick your lines, sliding a sidewall into a sharp object is common. I've been using Razrs just about since they first became available and so far I have taken a few chunks out of 6-ply Razrs and put a few shallow slices in the sidewalls, but I've never gotten a flat. There are very few tires on the market that I can say that about.

andrew360
04-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Last I checked, Rocky Mountian ATV only wanted around $6 per tire extra for 6 ply on a 20X11X9 Razr.... I'd say it's worth it. Cheap insurance.

hondarider2006
04-07-2004, 12:27 AM
a 4 ply tire will be softer...which will make your ride smoother than a 6 ply tire. I don't think it will be THAT much of a difference, but there is some. Also the 6 ply will last longer, seeing as how the rubber is a harder compound. I have Holeshot XCR rears, and they are 6 ply. I have put them though hell and they are still to pop/wear down. I also have razr fronts and I have nothing bad to say about them eaither:)

nj87ttype
04-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I was also checkin out the GBC shredder R/A tire, Kenda Dominator & Knarly tires, & Turf Tamers. Does anyone have experience with any of these & know if they're a good buy? I was thinkin about the Kenda Knarly's because they're the closest thing to my stock 300 tires which have been workin great for me.

4wheelboy
04-07-2004, 05:17 PM
i ride probaly the same stuff u do. sand trails/ rocks and muddy all in 1. i have 20 inch kenda klaws 6ply and they hook upp perfect. ive had them since before christmas and they still have 95% tread on them and i ride evry weekend. get them dude u wont be disapointed;)