PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Help ... PLEASE Help Me

Quad18star
04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Alright ... I really hate making these decisions cuz frankly I don't wanna get screwed over with soemthing that wont work . It's time to throw a pipe on the 450 and I'd like to know everyone's opinions .

First off , the quad is gunna be used mainly for MX racing and up here in Canada we don't have DB rules at the tracks like most of you guys do . So far the bike is stock , not even re-jetted yet . I might use the quad for the occasional trail ride but it's main purpose is going to be for racing .

Well here what I've come down to ... I've heard that the TC exhaust produces awesome power for the track , but is very loud . How loud exactly is this pipe?? I've never heard one before .

I've looked into the CT racing exhaust and they say they produce the best overall HP with their 16 disks and their Pro Flow filter systems .

Lots of people have been talking about HMF , saying they produce good power also . Is this pipe made mostly for XC racing or MX racing??

Sparks exhaust .... some people love them ... some people hate them . Hows the power ... how's their durability??

Any other suggestions on pipe manufacturers??

I want something that is very simple to install ... soemthing with a jet kit that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out . Give me the instructions to put this thing together and not blow up my quad .

PLEASE HELP me ... any information is appreciated . Thanks

Shocka400ex
04-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Greg,
Have some info on the Sparks and Duncan Fatboy.
I have two bikes that are riden for mx. The one that has the sparks exhaust seems to be very smooth through its power. Seems like it is distributed evenly through the bottom, mid and top range. The fatboy however seems like it peaks more at the top end and seems to be easier to pull whole shots. I personally like the smooth power gain of the Sparks but one thing might turn you away. I'm sending it back for a second replacement. The welds where the pipe mounts to the muffler have broke twice. Sparks said they enfroced this weak point and at least they warrenty their product, but you make the call.
I am getting another YFZ in a few weeks and I am still wondering about some other pipes for it but don't have much info yet. Let me know what you find out. Hope I'vd helped a little.
Justin

Quad18star
04-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your Info Justin .... I'll let you know more when I find out some different information about the pipes. I Love the looks of the TC exhaust , I'm just scared its gunna be too loud and annoying .

400exBro
04-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Greg, come down to a race here in ontario, and listen to Thomas KTM quad he has a tc pipe on there and it is loud, we can here him all the way around the track at gopher dunes.i almost find it to loud.
HMF is a good pipe, not to loud and still has plenty bark to it, LRD is good, sparks... they will all make the same hp with a stock engine, if you ever go with higher comp piston cam etc... go with an engine builders pipe... ie. sparks duncan etc...

another thing that duncan has which is very good is the full lifetime warrenty, alot of people seem to like the duncan pipe, i am looking at that pipe as well... it just shows that duncan has a lot of faith in his product to stand behind it with a lifetime warrenty...

Quad18star
04-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info Timo ... Once I get back into better shape I'm gunna ehad down south to watch and maybe race . Do you happen to know where Adam has been?? Ive been trying to get ahold of him for 2 days now ... I need Hiper rims NOW !!! The tires will be here this week and I need the rim as soon as possible.

400exBro
04-06-2004, 04:04 PM
adam should be there, i know he is way behind on hood orders, there are so many...
not to sure i have to get a hold of him aswell, looking at JB racing products.
good luck hope to see you out there soon.

Quad18star
04-06-2004, 06:58 PM
I finally got ahold of him ... He's got a set of Hipers for me and an HMF exhaust in stock . The rims are from Richard Reath and are blue ringed . I'm wondering what they'll look like on a red YFZ . The exhaust he has is also Blue . It might make the bike stand out a little bit more with a red and blue scheme . He's also got a red hood for me , for a pretty good price .

How did you like ridding his 450 on the weekend?? I might go down to New Lowell this weekend and watch the guys ride . Maybe I'll bring the 450 down and if I feel in any shape maybe do a little bit of ridding . Are you gunan be there?? Adam expects a bunch of guys to show up at the new track to ride . Maybe I'll see you down there this weekend .

bignorm
04-06-2004, 10:28 PM
get the tc racing exhaust system its the best. the mechanic at hammertime sports told me to get it because he used to have a yfz before he sold it and he said it make the most power out of anyother one he has had one the dyno.

and i just put one on mine and its awsome i just send it to the guy who had one and he is putting in the jetts and the neddle and sdjusting the exhaust cam and itll be way fast so go with a tc

tcracingengines.com

400exBro
04-07-2004, 05:17 AM
ya i probably won t be there, it is to far of a drive, but i will be going to collingwood on the 18th of april weekend so i will ended up riding with him that day...

his yfz is freaking amazing, defently an awsome machine the jb racing and elka setup works awsome, along with the hmf defently a hot setup, i just can t stress how good the suspension worked on that rough track.... i need to earn major cash now to get that setup on my 450...

ya i like the blue red scheme it is going to look hot...
good luck.

Originally posted by Quad18star
I finally got ahold of him ... He's got a set of Hipers for me and an HMF exhaust in stock . The rims are from Richard Reath and are blue ringed . I'm wondering what they'll look like on a red YFZ . The exhaust he has is also Blue . It might make the bike stand out a little bit more with a red and blue scheme . He's also got a red hood for me , for a pretty good price .

How did you like ridding his 450 on the weekend?? I might go down to New Lowell this weekend and watch the guys ride . Maybe I'll bring the 450 down and if I feel in any shape maybe do a little bit of ridding . Are you gunan be there?? Adam expects a bunch of guys to show up at the new track to ride . Maybe I'll see you down there this weekend .

400grl
04-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Or just save your money and do what I did! :) heheheheheh

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/pb677360ea84580ea8d40bdff703abd36/f971c983.jpg

jlhughes750
04-07-2004, 12:50 PM
400grl.. I like the stk MOD!!!!!

I love my DR.D pipe
Its made by Dubach Racing in So. Cal. Doug Dubach is a master of the Yami 4 strokers. And you'll like the fact that he's a multi time SX champ up in Canada. He was with Yami when they designed these YZF stlye engines years ago. He really knows how to get the most ponys for your buck..

I've gotten 4 holeshots this year in 4 races. Against top GNCC racers on everything from new R's with work to Roll R's with PV kits... Each race there has been nearly 20 riders on the line and my YFZ easily pulled on every bike there.

Its not a full system, but theres an advantage to that. I've ridden the Sparks and HMF full systems. This Dr.D is alot more smooth and rolls on the power easily, thats why I believe it'll get more traction down than other pipes.
from the rear it has a D shape so it makes its easy to space out away from the caliper if needed..
take a look:

Shocka400ex
04-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Hey Corry,
That is a good Idea what the Wellers do to these stock pipes because everything for these bikes cost an arm and a leg. I will probably have Jeff or Jason do this to mine and keep it like that for a while. I know you get the power out of yours still!
Talk to ya later!
Justin #95

400grl
04-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Justin - that is awesome!! You will like it.....and it's cheap!! :) I have gone on strike against companies charging so much for their stuff......... ;)

thomas
04-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey Greg you don't need all that fancy stuff, Bank wooped us on a stock YFZ with a Gytr Pipe!!
Going to race at RJ's??
Are you Pro or Jr.??
We are trying to get a Inter. Class so new guys won't get totally killed and come back to race again. But we need more guys to show up at a regular basis.

Quad18star
04-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Hey Thomas ,
It's not that I want my bike to look fancy , it's just that I want a little more power and grunt out of the YFZ . I was told you had a TC ehasut on your quad .... how do you like it?? Do you find it too loud?? And was it worth the money?? Adam is hooking me up really good on a set of Hipers , basically a price that I can't refuse so I'll be picking those up from him soon . I would have kept my original tires and rims on , but I ended up studding them this winter for ice racing , and I dont feel like putting a new set of tires on the stock rims , so Hipers and MXRs on the rear and Hipers with Holeshots on the front .

As for racing , If i can get myself back into better shape ( i just had surgery a few weeks ago) I'll hopefully make it down to a few races . When is RJ's?? I'll be racing Junior class cuz I'll just get myself killed ridding in the pro class . Ive raced against a few pros up in the north here and they are faster than I am , and when they race down south they run Junior class . Tells you how much faster the guys down south are compared to up here . But hopefully I'll be able to make it to a few races down south anyways . Looks like Cochrane got a National race this year ... thats NUTS . It'll be one LONG haul for EVERYONE . I'm up north and Cochrane is over 5 hour drive for me .... poor guys that live in London and area .... 12 + hours Id expect . Now if only the weather would warm up and the tracks dry up a bit , and my parts come in .... I'll be able to ride .

jlhughes750
04-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Did i mention the Dr. D is very well priced!!!!!!!!!

yamahaCal
04-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Eh I don't see how you get more performance out of ehem "discs" ehem. From my view point all they do is restrict exhaust flow. :confused: Oh and I love my red HMF :drool: