PDA

View Full Version : not too bad bolt removal

chevy71
04-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Just an out of place comment. I bought my 400ex April '02. I just recently removed the swingarm pivot bolt to grease it.

I was expecting the worst but it came out fairly easy. Just took off the nut and used an impact to break the bolt loose and then pushed it out while using the impact to turn the bolt.

It did look rusty and crap but nothing too bad. Light sanding, a fresh coat of grease and in it went.

Later,

James

04-06-2004, 12:11 PM
i should prob. remove mine but I dont know how...do you leave the rear tires off the ground & let there be full slack i nthe rear suspension? how should i suspend my four wheeler to do this?

chevy71
04-06-2004, 01:03 PM
I suspended the rear of my ex from the rafters in our small shop. Let the suspension hang. I then put a jackstand underneath the rear of the swingarm (I didn't put tension on the shock). Basically I let the bottom shock bolt be a pivot point when the swingarm pivot bolt comes out. The jackstand served to not let the axle and tires fall and lift up on the front of the swingarm where the pivot bolt is located.

I then unbolted it and put it back together.

James

SnowFlake
04-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Is your bolt threaded on bot sides cause mine is, its very odd.

-pat

chevy71
04-07-2004, 05:41 AM
No, I have the stock bolt and nut. I have never heard of any quads having that kind. Of course, no one else has an EX where I live. Maybe someone replaced it with a different kind? I don't know.

James