PDA

View Full Version : questions about little sahara OK

exoutlaw
04-05-2004, 10:32 PM
me and some buddies are planning on making the trip to little sahara OK from western KY, (12 hour trip) and we are wondering when the best time to go is, and what type of sand tires we need to run, if any. 2 of the 400s have bone stock motors with WB E-series slip ons, uni filters and jetted. One is a 416 with a hot cam and full exhaust. And one is a junky old yamadog craptor with slip on pro circuit exhaust and jetted. We would also like to know what it costs to ride there, nearest hotels, and any other bits of info you local guys, or the frequent riders there could give us. Oh yeah, are there any parts stores around we can pick up parts from in case something goes wrong with them. I know im asking alot, but thats a long drive, and we want to be as prepared as possible since this is our first real dune adventure. Thankx. p.s. if you have any questions about LBL OHV area, its only 30 mins from my house, and i ride there all the time.

kssandduner
04-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Check out this website. www.waynoka.com It has lots of good info on the park and costs and stuff. There is a link to an aerial photo, but i couldn't get it to work, good idea though. Right now is one of the best times of year to go, not to hot during the day and not to cold at night. It gets really hot during the summer, like well over 100 degrees. I would definitely reccomend paddle tires, you'll have alot more fun. The dunes aren't nothing like the guys from california are used to, but it's still fun out there. Be prepared for crappy weather!! Two weekends ago: Hail, lots of rain, tornado warnings, lots of fun stuff!! Not as bad if you have a camper, but I'm a tent person. Oh yeah, and don't do doughnuts in your pickup in the convenience store parking lot!! A guy i know got a DUI for that two weekends ago on friday night, and they hauled his arse to alva which is like thirty min away, and his wife couldn't bail him out till sat. at noon! Well....that's about all i can think of for now....It's awesome down there, you'll love it!!

Joe

exoutlaw
04-06-2004, 12:05 PM
do you recommend front and rear paddles or just rears. my front tires as of right now are holeshot xc's, they look like they would do all right since they are pretty well brand new. i believe that we are going to wait and go in the fall, when is the best time in the fall to go? we were thinking around the first to mid october. i got on the waynoka web site and it was very helpful, but i couldn't find anything about spark arrestors, do you have to have one there. thanks for the info joe, and any more you or any one else could give would be great.

zephead400ex
04-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Hey man, I would elaborate but I feel like **** w/ a hangover. Here is a link to another similar thread. Read the post by Bad Habit.

FYI: you will love the sand:)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98276

offroadfury
04-06-2004, 12:26 PM
You dont have to have front sand tires but I recommend them. I bought a set of the ITP Sand Star fronts while I was out there 2 weekends ago. They are awesome. Regular tires will work but you'll have alot more sand on you and your quad. I have never heard anyone say anything or check for a spark arrestor out there so I dont guess you need one. There are a couple good shops that I go to out there, Jims Sand Toys and the other is in the South Camp but I cant remember the name Little Sahara ATV I think......The cost to ride is $7 a day and that is only if there is someone at the gate. I have rode several days for free before and if you time it out right most of the time you can get through the gate while no rangers are around. Oh and you'll need a flag, which you could buy there. Make sure you get one with the spring on the end b/c they have a warranty and are almost impossible to break unless you flip or roll a bunch of times. I might be heading back down there sometime b/c last trip I was only there for a little over 12hours b/c of the storm.

RH1N08d9
04-07-2004, 07:22 PM
They don't check for spark arrestors. they have very little rules besides whip flags, and head, and tail lights at night! and the shops have a pretty good selection of parts for most quads! try making a couple pass's by the entrance gate to see if anyones there, and maybe wait a couple minutes to get in free!

bansheeke
04-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Do you guy really think it is worth it to try to get in free? Do you not like clean parks etc?

offroadfury
04-08-2004, 10:24 PM
It would be different if all the money went back into the park.....

ledofthezep
04-09-2004, 12:22 PM
It would be different if all the money went back into the park.....

No chit!:rolleyes:

bansheeke
04-11-2004, 08:28 PM
That park funds ever park in oklahoma

Tom TRX250R
04-11-2004, 10:25 PM
QUOTE]Do you guy really think it is worth it to try to get in free? Do you not like clean parks etc?[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be too bad if it was for 24 hours but right when it hits dark their holding their hand again wanting more money. I don't mind paying the measly $7 but it pisses me off how it isn't for at least a full day and night ride.

kssandduner
04-12-2004, 11:54 AM
I've never had that happen before. So you have been charged as soon as it gets dark, or after midnight? The rangers were lazy as hell this weekend, you had to get off your bike and walk up to the little shack to get your armband, it wasn't even raining!

Joe