PDA

View Full Version : Govenor Switch?

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Well. I've been pretty bored waiting to get a quad so I did some stuff to my lawn mower. But now I hear that if you take the switch off you get some more speed, etc.

How do you do this. I have a Briggs and Stratton 12hp.

:devil: Dork. lol

cheetah
04-05-2004, 06:45 PM
LOL I smell lawnmower racing!!!:blah:

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
LOL I smell lawnmower racing!!!:blah:

LOL, I dont really wana race I just want something that goes pretty fast untill I get my 400. :devil: So does anyone have an idea.

04-05-2004, 06:51 PM
i wanna know how to do it too cuz i gots the same mower!!!

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 06:54 PM
I have a Simplicity Hydrostatic 4211. :eek2: I can cat walk it a little bit. But I have been messing with the Idle a little bit so it hasn't been lifting the front end with much torque.:macho

RMX500
04-05-2004, 07:02 PM
you can turn 12hp into 20... PROJECT! :D

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Thats great that your telling me this. It really is, I just want to know how..:cool: 3

LTandRaptorider
04-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Big400EX
Well. I've been pretty bored waiting to get a quad so I did some stuff to my lawn mower. But now I hear that if you take the switch off you get some more speed, etc.

How do you do this. I have a Briggs and Stratton 12hp.

:devil: Dork. lol

How old is this engine? You should see linkage on the carb, a spring is attached to it, which in turn attaches to a plastic air vane. Disconnect the spring and linkage going to the air vane. Full speed ahead, but beware of over-revving! ;)

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks man, Also. Is it better in your opinion to run the idle lean or rich. I think I've been running it okay. Although it did stall out once before today. I haven't messed around with the high speed and low speed yet, thank god.:devil:

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Oh, and how do I prevent over-revving, or avoid it if possible?:blah:

LTandRaptorider
04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
I believe the mixture screw should be 1.5-2 turns out. Set the idle a little high, can't remember the rpm... maybe 600. Those engines are governed to 3600 rpm, you'll get more out of it with the governor off, just don't run it full throttle for long periods. ahhh... the good ole days of go-carts with water pipe for exhaust!

04-05-2004, 07:54 PM
ok so now we know how to take the govenor off a lawn mower.. now a few ppl told my buddy he had one on his 93 mustang, now how do we go about takin that one off:devil:

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 07:55 PM
So your saying I should tighten the Idle clockwise all the way, then un-tighten it counter clockwise 2 turns? Just like RC Car engines. :p

How fast do you think I can get. Rough Estimate :)

LTandRaptorider
04-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Oh, and how do I prevent over-revving, or avoid it if possible?:blah:

Well, I guess not running it full throttle, you won't be making good horsepower in that range anyway. The governor works by the set spring tension on the linkage to the air vane. The air vane moves from air coming off the flywheel, when the engine reaches the set rpm, the air vane pulls on the linkage to the carb. You could play around with the spring, if you have a tach check to see what results you get.

LTandRaptorider
04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
So your saying I should tighten the Idle clockwise all the way, then un-tighten it counter clockwise 2 turns? Just like RC Car engines. :p

How fast do you think I can get. Rough Estimate :)

Yeah, turn the mixture screw in to the stop (clockwise), but don't overtighten it. Turn it back out 1.5 turns, then start the engine. Turn the screw out(counter-clockwise) just until the engine starts to speed up. Turn back in clockwise about a 1/4 turn, and you're set. There is also an idle screw that you turn in against a stop plate to adjust the idle. Set the idle first, then the mixture screw. Dang it's been a long time... since I've worked on a lawnmower engine... :p

LTandRaptorider
04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by member
ok so now we know how to take the govenor off a lawn mower.. now a few ppl told my buddy he had one on his 93 mustang, now how do we go about takin that one off:devil:

Just a bigger spring! :eek: :D

Nah, it's called get an aftermarket performance chip from Summit Racing. ;)

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Oh. I haven't touched the mixture screw. Im not confident, I fear that I will totally do it wrong. Thats why I have been toying around with the Idle, the Idle only.:blah:

CowsBitePeople
04-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Ill take all you boys on tractors on in a race when i get mine done!! buahahahaaa:devil:

ReconRider25
04-05-2004, 08:56 PM
my friend made a racing lawnmower. alls you gotta do is find different sized pulleys and put it on it. thats what he did.also just take the whole airbox and stuff off. dont need it.:p

Big400EX
04-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
my friend made a racing lawnmower. alls you gotta do is find different sized pulleys and put it on it. thats what he did.also just take the whole airbox and stuff off. dont need it.:p

http://www.geocities.com/p3rfectguy/48754362.jpg Thats a pic of my friend on it.

That wont work to well will it man( No Airbox ):p

Big400EX
04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
How old is this engine? You should see linkage on the carb, a spring is attached to it, which in turn attaches to a plastic air vane. Disconnect the spring and linkage going to the air vane. Full speed ahead, but beware of over-revving! ;)

So, Do I have to take off the whole setup for it, or just that one peice.

I am going to take a picture of it.

LTandRaptorider
04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
So, Do I have to take off the whole setup for it, or just that one peice.

I am going to take a picture of it.

disconnect the linkage, and remove, between the carb and air vane. Keep in mind I'm getting old, and it's been a while since I've worked on those engines! :o

And if you blow the engine up, tell your dad it wasn't my fault! :p

MOFO
04-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Yep, LT is in the right direction...

we did the same thing to a golf cart at an airport I used to work at... that SOB would haul arse when we would take it for a spin down the taxi way... :devil: