PDA

View Full Version : Possible to get new front shocks and rear shock rebuilt for $500

excess
04-05-2004, 01:00 PM
I was looking into getting a pair of front shocks for my 400ex because Ive been frequesnting a little more often to a local motorcross track. I don't want or need anything like a pair of elkas or ridiculous pro shocks, I just want something thats going to take the ride on the track and the jumps a little better. Works has good prices but I havent heard many good things about them. Ive been reading and noticed a lot of you guys send your stock rear shock to certain companies that set them up for MX which is what Im looking to do, what do you guys recommend I do. Suspension is new to me so and help would be appreciated.

300exOH
04-05-2004, 01:08 PM
I think the works are decent for a "weekend warrior" type rider. Just make sure you let the shock builder know exactly what type of riding you do and you should be fine. The Elka's are worth the money IMO if you really plan on being serious about riding/racing. You can have your 400ex shock revalved and save some money also.

Matt400ex_17
04-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Anything aftermarket is better than stock specially the 400ex stock. As far as where you send your rear they'll all do a good job just you have to look around and see who has the quickest turn around times and what prices fit into your budget. My brother put progressive shocks on his 400ex and he's about 260 lbs and uses it on my track behind my house and trails and never had a problem. I think the fronts were like 320 at local dealer and the rear was 240. Pretty good prices and was definitly better than stock granted he used stock a-arms also.

excess
04-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Those works long travel triple rates for around 350 sound really worth it, the rezzie I guess I would add later but I don't think their that necessary, for my kind of riding.

Tommy 17
04-05-2004, 06:07 PM
works triple rates without rezzies are 350$...

i'm sure u can get a rebuild without ssd (you won't need it bc of the fronts being non ssd) for around 125$... call derisi or quadshop or c&d racing for that...

toby400ex
04-05-2004, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt recommend works anymore. Im not fast by any means and I busted a shock spring half a lap into a harescramble saturday. Track wasnt that rough til the damn thing busted. Thanks to that spring my thumb is kinda f'ed up too:D:mad:

04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
I wouldnt recommend works anymore. Im not fast by any means and I busted a shock spring half a lap into a harescramble saturday. Track wasnt that rough til the damn thing busted. Thanks to that spring my thumb is kinda f'ed up too:D:mad: quit whining....my works are fine & iv'e put them through some stuff....prob. not the best out there but if you know how to ride they perform well...

excess
04-05-2004, 11:49 PM
ssd?

QuadJunkies
04-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
....prob. not the best out there but if you know how to ride they perform well... Exactly!!! if your on a budget Works are great! I bought mine off a local Pro class rider who got tons of big air on his and granted they arent as sweet as the higher end shocks,they are MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK!

toby400ex
04-06-2004, 08:12 AM
quit whining....my works are fine & iv'e put them through some stuff....prob. not the best out there but if you know how to ride they perform well... WHAT...... STFU, retard. When you pay good money for shocks you shouldnt have to deal with broken springs. Stock shocks held up better than these things.

04-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
WHAT...... STFU, retard. When you pay good money for shocks you shouldnt have to deal with broken springs. Stock shocks held up better than these things. :rolleyes:

Tommy 17
04-06-2004, 01:38 PM
ssd is self sagging device... also refered to as zps or zeropreload... its sag built into the shock....

and i have heard of lots of works springs breaking... knighttime had his break b4... not only that they have 1/2 shafts and weird internal valving... also they are set up for a broader weight setting then a higher priced shock...

but get what u can afford... i know i'd never own a work shock...

and btw jumbo ur acting childish... we all have our opinions if u don't like it stfu... toby stated his problem with works (which is a common problem) and u act like a hardass... u won't get respect like that...

toby400ex
04-06-2004, 02:01 PM
:rolleyes: So are you saying that you would be perfectly happy paying good money for your shocks and then break a spring and take another $50 to get a replacement spring. Not to mention a ruined weekend because of it.

04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Tommy they make works with 5/8" shafts also. they do cost a bit more though. Please correct me if I am wrong but I beleive the messed up valving you are speaking of is the same thing that PEP uses.

I have had two set of works before and was happy with both sets for the type of riding I did at that time. When I first got into racing i bought a set of tripple rate with res. non adj. retail 500. i rode them all year long and had no problems. they were a big improvment ove the stock shocks. My second year racing I bought a set of used works tripple rate with res. fully adj. with 5/8" shafts. i sent them to DeRisi racing to have his pro milinium kit put in them and they WORKed better than I expected. Maybe as good as anything i have had since. acorrding to your budget and riding style. works are a good buy!

Tommy 17
04-06-2004, 03:50 PM
nathan they do make 5/8 shafts but they are not at steelers they are called pro series which is like 799$ or something... they may even have a differnt type of valving i never researched them because i don't think they are worth the money when elkas cost ruffly the same and u get ssd... at steelers are 1/2 inch shafts and 350$ to 500$ depending on ressys or non ressy...

and yes i would agree that a 5/8th shaft derisi shock would be awesome and one of the best shocks on the market but thats not what i'm talkin about in my post above... derisi is one of the best on the market and his valving in works are awesome... i've rode them also i know... the thing is thou not many people want to buy the shocks for 800$ then send them to santo for 350$ to get his rebuild... for that price i can have axis...

what i was talkin about was the simple bottom of the line at steelers... 1/2 inch shafts and stk valving not derisi... they use a weird type of valving in them... i can't remember the type of name for it but i'm 99.99% sure its totaly differnt then pep... the old peps and tcs use to use works bodys but the valvings internally are totaly differnt...

and toby i agree 100% on u that the shocks should hold up better and not break springs...