PDA

View Full Version : bottom out 300ex suspension... bad or no?

Towlieee
04-05-2004, 10:04 AM
New to 4 wheelin. been doin it almost daily for about 2 months now on my friends 02 300ex..

As you all know the suspension is soft, great for sitting down and cruising, crappy for jumping..

For about the first month of riding I was just getting used to jumping.. At first just getting a few inches off the ground, then moving up to about 4' off the ground.. 3-4' of air is where I start to bottom out the front..

However last saturday I went riding at some new trails and was hitting some bigger jumps, getting close to 6-7' of air..

However the landings are TERRIBLE! man it bottoms out SOOO hard... I can't really tell if the back bottoms out but the front does for sure..

Is it bad on the quad to bottom it out? I'v gotten used to absorbing more of my shock through my legs and not much through my hands, but it still bottoms out a lil bit.. Im not worried about the shocks as there gonna eventually get replaced (when they break, or midway through summer)..

just woundering if I can hurt the engien or anythign by landing so hard?..

300exOH
04-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Eventually something will give. You could even crack the frame. I wouldn't be too tough on it. Everything has it's limits. The stock 300 suspension isn't really up to big jumps.

rollie
04-05-2004, 10:44 AM
try landing more towards the back so the fronts dont bottom or just get 400EX suspension!:D

Juggalo
04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
landing ramps..don't flat land. they will be your saving grace

hondarider2006
04-05-2004, 04:03 PM
my 400ex frame snapped in half from landing flat.....Get some aftermarket shocks, or start landing on a ramp, or don't jump as high;)

toomeyshee87
04-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Eventually something will give. You could even crack the frame. I wouldn't be too tough on it. Everything has it's limits. The stock 300 suspension isn't really up to big jumps.

ya i think that the frame will end up cracking for sure, on yours probably around the shock mounts, but it can break without bottoming too. i just found out i broke my frame and i have full PEP ZPS suspension which i have yet to bottom. its weird because it busted in the dumbest spot. it busted where the front motor mounts bolt to the frame, the tube is like half way inbetween the foot pegs and a arms. i dont get why it would bust:confused: little off topic, sorry lol

Towlieee
04-08-2004, 06:30 AM
The jumps I hit are kinda natural jumps..

My moms jump (her driveway) has no landing ramp, but I only get about 5ft of air on that one..

These one jumps at our trails are on a down hill so its kinda like a landing ramp..

The problem is theres no good natural jumps with landing ramps that I know of :(

I want to make a launch ramp outa wood (i know i'd have to brace it extremly well)
However I coulden't make a landing ramp outa wood, and even if I did, i'd have to make a table top incase you come up short, which would most likely brake.

I dunno, i need to figure somthin out