PDA

View Full Version : i had my 400ex close to 70mph

yellowrider
03-12-2002, 02:31 PM
i was ridng behind my neighbors crownvic and i was right behind there bumber and they wasn't pulling away or anything and when i started to slow down and pull off to the emergency lane the pulled over i rode up to them to the passenger window and they told me they where doing 70mph i could harly believe that do you think it could go that fast has any 400ex ever gone that fast??

by the way whats the most commoon mods do you all do to your 400ex it doesnt pull off the line fast enough or something ... i dont really know what it is .. it just seems different like it should have some power there or something . i dont know anywho do you think that it could have been that fast or was they just pulling my leg?

MadcapEX
03-12-2002, 02:38 PM
I f you are going that fast,make sure it aint got a 16 tooth front sprocket,that would explain the lack of power and the unheard of top speed.Stock is 15 teeth,most everyone drops to a 14.

wyndzer
03-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Fords are notorious for false speedometer readings, sorry but you were only going 45mph! JK!:blah

NewRider
03-12-2002, 02:44 PM
That speed isnt unheard of at all.... just a matter of gearing, tire sizes and mods. Im not sure about most everyone, but a 14 tooth on the front of mine would be way too low of gearing for my tastes. Im currently running the stock 15t ... with a 36t in back... have good top end and still pulls very strong from the line. *shrugs* Thats just my opinion of course ;)

Just noticed that your sig says 300ex... sure that isnt why you dont feel like you are pulling strong? :p j/k

NewRider

Guy400
03-12-2002, 02:49 PM
As discussed many times in the past, motor mods won't give you any top speed by themselves (unless your motor is falling short of the rev limiter and the mods would pull you to that limit). In order to gain any top speed you'd either have to go to a 16 tooth front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket and/or go with a bigger rear tire. If your 400EX is stock than you're riding the world's fastest stock EX. No offense but the old "I was paced by my friend in a car" is about as accurate predicting the next Mt. St. Helens explosion.

yellowrider
03-12-2002, 03:03 PM
i guess they where just pulling my leg or something.. i wasnt loosing them if anything i was getting closer to the rear bumper. i to thought that 70mph was to fast but i thought i would ask you all and see what you all had to say about that..

i know one thing i do have the worlds weirdest 400ex cause 1st and 2nd i can hammer the throttle on but if i do it in 3rd the wheels will come off the ground...

i raced this warrior... he did not beat me but i did not leave him like i thought i would he was right behind me a couple of feet.. thats not good is it?

but i have a better take off and a higher top speed he just seems to be in the middle of somewhere.. nevermind i have no idea how to try to tell you what i mean so anyhow the 400ex is awesome!!

i been getting 6-7 feet of air and let me tell you it lands a whole lot smoother than the other one i had..

03-12-2002, 06:47 PM
yellowrider, did you sell the 300ex?

Leo
03-12-2002, 07:00 PM
could have been caused by a slightly inaccurate speedo...

unless the crown vic has "certified" on the speedo and a "police interceptor" badge on the back I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in what the speedo reads :D

Leo

Wingnut
03-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Car speedometers are not always completely accurate. Things like tires that are a different diameter than what came on the car or the tire pressure can make the speedometer's accuracy vary. When my 400 was completely stock it was clocked by a Nissan truck at 71-72 mph. That was with worn tires (lowers the gearing) and, I am ashamed to say, with a passenger.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-13-2002, 12:28 AM
me and a freind (me in car he on my 300) rode on the road to a gas station about a mile from my house to get gas in both..the car and my bike......well after we got there i hopped on the quad lined up with him on the road and said clock me....he took off i took off passed him and laid into....wound out all my gears and about the time i felt i wassn't ganna go any faster i slowed let him pass and met him at the house (why hold it open for a mile...blow my____up right)....after i pulled in he was givin' me this i hate you look...whats up man what was i about 45 tops....no man "65" what bull___ dude you were goin 65 miles an hour on your ___300ex in front mf mei got right behind you and neither of us moved goin steady at 65 untill you slowed down.......i belived him and came on this site and posted a thread
"CLOCKED AT 65" well everyone on the site made fun of my for a while about it and i finally got it though my head....i was runnin' some tall *** 22"/23"/24"inch tires man but 65 on a piped air mod and gear moded 300ex....no way man....those shaved fender's didn't do that much of a differance......they got me to beliveing the you can't do a top speed test by a car running along side.....like the other day.....i was riding an ol'e abandond road...little toyota 4 cylinder pulls up "ay main" le'me ride..."what he!! naw" well' uh' lets race"...."ahigh"...stopped lined em' up .....i walked mine (started out in second) walked mine through2nd 3rd and laid it down it 4th took off and left him.....he said he was don 70 and was barly creepin up on me.....now that doesn't meani was doin 80' just means i got the jump took a lead and he had to gas it to close the gap between up.....i was proly doin 45 or 50 but got such a good jump he had to double his speed to catch me..see what i'm sayin......damn't use a car as a speed test.......

"BLAHH"300!!
03-13-2002, 12:34 AM
i made a loo loo for a typo right at the end.....<<<<.see what i'm sayin......damn't use a car as a speed test.......>>>thats a typo man.....don't use a car as a speed test i mean

yellowrider
03-13-2002, 03:43 AM
yes i sold it

hey you guys what is the easiest mod to get some low end power with out gearing it down... ( i am not used to that 1st gear at all , i have to climb up most of the hills that i used to climb up in second through the woods now with the 400 cause the thing dont have enough power to go ahead and pull the other gear for some reason

i remember on my 300ex i oculd start in second and go up the hill and if i needed to click down i could but the 40 i cant do that i have to stay in first or less i have time to wine my gears but thesse are tight trails what should i do to it to make it have more power without adding a pipe those things are annoying and loud and really didnt do that much but suck some more gas

"BLAHH"300!!
03-13-2002, 11:36 AM
if your wanting "MORE" lowend withough changing the sprokett's
only other thing you could change would be tire size.
I don't recomend 18"incher's for trial riding...thats what i have now i've learned to ride em' to not bottom the sproket out on rocks or dirt cloggs...but you don't want those little tire's on your bike...you will have "NO" top end.....change your gearing on your front (or rear) sproket and leave your tire's where they are......

changing sproketts are easy...buy the nessecary front and rear size for what you looking for....put em' on mix em' up find what you want and leave those 20" tire's on the back

WyoDuner
03-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Yep, I had my Banshee close to 70 MPH too. After that I shifted out of 5th gear into 6th.... Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

ChadEXer
03-13-2002, 03:38 PM
When my truck is going 70,,,the speedo reads 55:D

4punksdad
03-13-2002, 05:15 PM
when my truck is doing 70..............it means I am slowing down to get off the exit :o

RideRed04
03-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah right, dont you know that fords cant go 70?:D

yellowrider
03-14-2002, 04:00 AM
yeah right man cause when me and my uncle was picking up my new 4 wheeler i asked him if i could drive home and i was going about 65-80 on a road that you are only supposed to hit 55 but man that truck sits up so hi and so powerful its hard not to speed its like one of the best trucks i ever driven

i think it is a 1999 or 2000 f-150 biggest v8 that will go in one that is all i know. rides pretty good for a truck to and also my 4 wheeler loks nice back there to

its not that i dont know how to change sprokets its just that i dont want to loose any top end i just want to get to my top speed faster... without adding a pipe or a bore kit or anything, do you think that is possible? i am thinking about just getting the jet kit for it or something and maybe some holes in the airbox.. i might thank about a pipe later on in the future but those things are way to loud and annoying and it was hard going buy this house where these people would call the law on you with that loud pipe.

RideRed04
03-14-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by yellowrider
...yeah right man cause when me and my uncle was picking up my new 4 wheeler i asked him if i could drive home and i was going about 65-80...

65-80? That is a heck of a spread, what did the speedometer say? I thought you where only 14? About the speed thing, if you are already hitting the rev-limiter, you cant gain any more speed my modding the engine. This has been discussed extensively. You can gear it for more speed, then modify it for low end power to compensate for the taller gearing, other then that, you are SOL.

yellowrider
03-14-2002, 06:42 PM
i was hopping maybe i could gear it up a little bit and put lighter rims and tires on it and a better chain and maybe a kn airfilter and that should do the trick shouldnt it?? i dont know to much about 400exs

today i raced a raptor and a warrior a 400ex and a banshee

i hanged with the banshee till he hit third gear he was gone...
i beat the raptor on the start and hit 4th gear then he was gone out of my site
smoked the warrior :D
beat the other dude on his ex he couldnt drive....

top speed goes to the banshee then the raptor then me and that other guy i think his will go like a mile faster than mine for some reason but his is a year old and i think he had different size tires on it i am not for sure i wasnt really paying any attention then that warrior

around the track i lost they where to wild for me i backed off but i let this one dude ride mine when no one else was on the track and we timed him with a watch he did much better on the 400ex then he did with his banshee

hey a 2002 banshee white and black is for sale for about 5000.00 never been wreck as far as i know and it looks like it is in good condition it rode good today when i took it for a spin

( GOSH!! when i took off i was like tis thing dont got no power then i floored it that darn thing gots the power !!! first gear power dont kick in till the end of first gear second is fast third your flying!! i was smoking the tires in 2nd gear with that baby!!

the front end is also heavy on it!! thats a good thing i think.

Fox300ex
10-17-2002, 03:41 PM
Its not unbelievable that u were doing 70 u better do it again and actually hit the gas*********:devil

read the rules please
4punks

250rmike
10-17-2002, 03:54 PM
you could have been doing 70. if you were right on the bumper. we had a friend go behind my explorer doing about 40 uphill. its called drafting it is extirely posible on a stock 400.

derekhonda
10-17-2002, 09:48 PM
or......you could bring back a post from 7 monthes ago.

tisk tisk...people these days

250rmike
10-18-2002, 08:17 AM
haha i didnt even know that he did that.

sharpshooter
10-18-2002, 08:34 AM
my 400 on stock tires,k&n,open airbox,165 main and dyno jet needle and drilled stock exhaust went 69mph
my friends same set up 400 went 71mph
he rode them because he wieghed 195 and I weighed 215
weight makes a big difference on 400's

FoxRacing400EX
10-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Guy432
In order to gain any top speed you'd either have to go to a 16 tooth front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket and/or go with a bigger rear tire.

So those bro's running around with the bling bling 20's might not be as dumb as we thought?:huh :devil

10-18-2002, 05:09 PM
stock 400ex's 68 - 68ish no not 75 or 60 they go 68 ish