PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an aluminum airbox - read this!

nikejoe
04-05-2004, 07:58 AM
I put an aftermarket aluminum airbox that I purchased off e-bay on my quad about 2 months ago. I thought it was the coolest thing to be able to mount my battery in it. Well I was running a K&N filter with an outerwear and an outerwear airbox cover. My new airbox did not come with a lid, so I figured I would be a little cautious and put on the airbox cover. I rode it one time at my parents house and my quad ran better than it has since I have owned it.(I had also just installed the pipe, k&N, jet kit, sparks key, etc) I was thrilled. I planned a trip down to Ketucky LBL. We went down and played around. All the utillities that were with me were driving through all the mud and water and I would just stop and watch. I was only going through small water and mud holes about 4-6 inches. In the afternoon I hit one of these small water holes in second gear and stalled my quad. It refired a few minutes later. I limped it back to camp, but it was smoking bad! I took it all apart thinking it was just water in the intake. Well now a month later I am getting prices on getting it rebuilt. That airbox cover was letting every little splash of water right into my airbox. And my shiny cool alum airbox cost me my perfectly running motor. I like the airbox and will probably keep it, but I will not run it again until I get a lid made for it that will keep the water out. I just wanted to let everyone know about this and maybe help save a few people the headache that I am gooing through. I know some of you are thinking "No sh*t! It's not a jet ski", but I was not going through that much or really that fast. Anyway Don't run through water with just an outerwear lid on your quad. It's a hard lesson to learn! Sorry for the long post!:mad:

Quadude32
04-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Who made the Airbox?

komatsu kid
04-05-2004, 08:42 AM
i run harescrables with mine and never had any trouble,k@n outwear+outwear box cover

y2k400ex
04-05-2004, 08:42 AM
I have one that me and my freind builds and sells on ebay we made it with high sides to keep mud and water out and it works really good.

What airbox do you have?

nikejoe
04-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I purchased it off e-bay. It is custom made. It does not have higher sides on it. So the water off the fenders just rains down on my outerwear cover and into the airbox. I will be modifying it if I ever get the money for the rebuild. I think I am going to put a lid on it with an air intake in the front and the back. I think that will help keep the side splash out. If it goes well and I like it, Hell I might even sell some on e-bay.:p

y2k400ex
04-05-2004, 08:55 AM
this is the one my freinds builds it leaves about a 1/4 in gap between the box and the seat.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/00/ff/37/41_1.JPG

UglyMotha™
04-05-2004, 08:57 AM
i've ran an open aluminum airbox for a couple years now with a k&n and outerwear, the outerwear does a good job of filtering out the dirt over the past two years i've sucked in quite abit of water but no dirt normally i'm good but if it's raining and i'm hitting water holes wide open it tends to take on water, if you keep your setup clean and i replace the outerware usually twice a season

Quadude32
04-05-2004, 08:58 AM
I like the design of the high sides what do they go for $$ on EBay?

nikejoe
04-05-2004, 09:03 AM
The design of the one with high sides is pretty nice. Mine is just flat with the frame rails it sits on. Which leaves about a 2" gap under the seat. The high side on would have been nice to have! I guess maybe my experience was freak one, but my outerwears were both brand new and they did not keep the water out at all.
I hope no one else has to go through this. My quad sat all winter now it's time to ride and it is sitting again! It just sucks *****!:grr:

UglyMotha™
04-05-2004, 09:07 AM
water won't hurt the motor, it's just goin to cause it to run crappy or die until it's all burned out it's was the dirt that destroyed your motor not the water

y2k400ex
04-05-2004, 09:11 AM
heres a link they start at $125 Buy it now for $145

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43979&item=2471087719

I got mine from KAWSAM62 he also does trades and custom work

nikejoe
04-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Point taken! It was muddy water that was down in my air intake, so I'm sure you are correct! All I know is that the end result majorly sucks for me!

Texan32
04-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
water won't hurt the motor, it's just goin to cause it to run crappy or die until it's all burned out it's was the dirt that destroyed your motor not the water

...water won't hurt the motor?!

Have you ever heard of hydro-lock?! It would take a bit more than a few drops of water to cause this, but it can/does happen:(

UglyMotha™
04-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Texan32
...water won't hurt the motor?!

Have you ever heard of hydro-lock?! It would take a bit more than a few drops of water to cause this, but it can/does happen:(

well duuuhhh, were talking bout the filter getting splashed here, not samurging *sp* the motor so why take it to the extreme :huh

Texan32
04-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
well duuuhhh, were talking bout the filter getting splashed here, not samurging *sp* the motor so why take it to the extreme :huh

EEEEASY Motha....I was just making a point. There are many young impressionable minds that gather here. A statement like "water won't hurt an engine" could lead some silly little fool into thinking its ok to wade their quad through a river without worry:rolleyes: :D

04-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Texan32
EEEEASY Motha....I was just making a point. There are many young impressionable minds that gather here. A statement like "water won't hurt an engine" could lead some silly little fool into thinking its ok to wade their quad through a river without worry:rolleyes: :D i was anout to do it too :(

UglyMotha™
04-05-2004, 12:24 PM
i'll give ya that http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

Texan32
04-05-2004, 12:27 PM
gald we can agree to agree Motha:cool:

04-05-2004, 12:28 PM
First I'll smack ugly for gettin outa line..........(SMACK)

OK back to the subject.

Runnin no airbox lid in the dunes and on a MX track is about the only place I think i'd ever take the chance. No way would I do it trail riding or racing XC. I don't have more money than sense like ugly...:blah: :blah:

uglyfatha
04-05-2004, 12:53 PM
I don't have more money than sense like ugly...:blah: :blah: [/B]

Thats why Ugly has no money:blah:

UglyMotha™
04-05-2004, 01:08 PM
i knew you were dying to use that :D