PDA

View Full Version : Grip glue

oynot400
08-22-2001, 09:06 PM
What does all of you use for grip glue? I have tried Scott glue and it doesn't hold. I have tried Renthal glue also. It seems to hold the best so far but still will work loose in time. Has anyone tried the friction tape and gasoline as they mentioned in the last issue of Dirt Wheels??

08-22-2001, 09:44 PM
i use starting fluid..then once it has dried i use safty wire to hold them in place

NVR2L8
08-22-2001, 11:49 PM
I've used both Renthal and Scott grip glue, and never had a slipping problem with either of them. In fact, when it's time to replace grips, I have a heck of a time getting them off! I think the key is in the preparation... I thoroughly clean the bars with acetone to remove any old adhesive, and slightly rough up the ends of the bars so the glue has something to hold onto. Then I coat the bar area with glue and wait a few minutes until it's tacky. Once it's tacky then I quickly shoot some glue inside the grips and side them on making sure I rotate the grips to distribute the glue around. Also, make sure you give the glue at least 12-16 hours to completely dry. Works for me...

Stevo
08-22-2001, 11:56 PM
I used jb weld on mine, it's works well and have no problem with it coming off.

400grl
08-23-2001, 10:33 PM
Don't laugh, but I use spit. Seriously. I changed my grips last time I was camping, and all I could think of to use was spit. So far they haven't budged! :D

crday98
08-24-2001, 01:38 AM
it sounds silly but hairspray works relly well.as far as safety wire?i think it is an accident waiting to happen.i woundn't want to catch my hand on it:huh

kabd69667
08-24-2001, 12:26 PM
Yeah, hairspray. Cheap and works great. Those grips will slide right on and give then about 10 or 15 minutes and your set to go

MOFO
08-24-2001, 01:07 PM
Yep, I'm another hairspray user. I never had problems with my grips coming loose...I always just clean both and used an aircompressor to blow up the grip like a ballon and then work it on. But lately one grip has been giving me problems so I tried the hairspray technique....works good. So far it hasnt moved. :)

Eric

08-24-2001, 08:31 PM
I use hairspray also. So far I havent had a problem. I rough up the bar with some sandpaper and then clean it with some acetone. Then I spray hairspray on the bar and in the grip and slid it on. I let them sit over night before just to let it dry and adhere good. Its cheap too ;) ~Rootman

08-26-2001, 05:43 PM
I used the genuine Honda grip glue and it works really well but I wish I would have known about the hairspray trick, it would have been cheaper!

4punksdad
08-26-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Don't laugh, but I use spit. Seriously. I changed my grips last time I was camping, and all I could think of to use was spit. So far they haven't budged! :D

don't laugh...........thats all I have ever used..........human saliva seems to work well for me, and I have an unlimited supply. :blah

knighttime
08-26-2001, 09:13 PM
Put the grips on the same way as golf grips. They will never come loose. Email me for directions.