PDA

View Full Version : chrome plating? Rico

Hotdog
03-12-2002, 02:10 PM
Rico,
I seen you swingarm is plated. is that actually a chrome plating or is a clear zing plate?

I work at a powder metal house and we have platers, but only zinc. it looks like chrome for the most part. :confused:

03-12-2002, 02:22 PM
I'm guessin the pic you saw was on my images link....that's not my swingarm it's a buddies houser racing swingarm.

It was done by my buddy who works at a hard chrome company. I don't really know the complete process but here's what he tells me....it's stipped,,then put in a nickel tank for a few hours,,then he puts it in a chrome tank. He said it's almost as hard as diamonds,,which I believe,,cuz I tried stripping it off something he chromed for me and I gave up after about 30 minutes of trying and all i did was dull the finish..

Deathbringer
03-12-2002, 03:31 PM
If you are going to do a swing arm or something like that has to take abuse you need a tough coating. Ceramic coating or a product that we have around here its called ChromeX... I didn't see where you are from but the place that does it is called Northwest Industrial Coatings they are in White City, Oregon and here is their phone number 541-826-1922...
Hope that helps you if you do want to get it done. I had them do my header pipe on my 400ex. They did it so the pipe was ChromeX and the heat shield was yellow to match the bike. I will upload a pic when I get time to take one. I am having a bunch of aluminum put on it right now.