PDA

View Full Version : alignment on a 400

MoparTrav
03-12-2002, 02:07 PM
anyone have any tips on aligning my 400, i have to replace the steering shaft so will need to do this, or would it be better to take it somewhere to do it?

Leo
03-12-2002, 03:29 PM
if your just replacing the steering stem it really shouldn't be needed..

with that said, if you flopped it hard enough to bend the stem, then it should probably be checked!

(good answer eh :D)

quick check, put to marks on the front of the tires measure the distance (with the bars level) roll the bike ahead until the marks are on the back of the tire (making sure not to turn the bars at all!) measure between the back..

You want the measurement at the back to be about 1/2 inch or so larger than the front.. (the spec is something like 1/4 to 3/4 inch of toe in)..

Leo

big-guy
03-12-2002, 04:44 PM
That's a nice thought, but if your wheel is bent, like mine, you'll go crazy trying to align it.

I just busted the lock nuts loose, and rode in a straight line, holding the bars even, and tweaking the tierods till it didn't pull to one side. (and it looked halfway aligned) I won't swear it's within spec's, but it rides much better now with two straight tierods.

I thought about taking it to the alignment shop, but haven't felt much like being laughed at here lately.

I pulled my steering stem out too, 'cause it looked bent, but it's straight. turns out the end was welded on or machined off-center. Sweet.

MoparTrav
03-12-2002, 06:34 PM
mine was twisted at the weld and bent back a little, the tie rod's look fine, i havnt paid much attention to the wheel's but i think there ok, if i let the handle bars go it still drives straight but the handles are bent back about 3 or 4 inches on one side and 3 or 4 inches up on the other side.