PDA

View Full Version : cutting aluminum?

Bubba
04-04-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm gonna make myself a skid plate outta aluminum. its kinda thick. whats the best way to cut it. I was using a jig saw with metal cuttin blades but i chewed up like 4 of them and didnt cut very much. what would be best?

brian-250
04-04-2004, 07:30 PM
plasma cutter,goes thouogh it like its butter:macho

y2k400ex
04-04-2004, 07:31 PM
if your using a metal cutting blade on a jig saw it should be fine. Cut it on a slow speed and use some wd40 or spray some armor all (it is the same thign as cutting fluid used in milling machines) on it while your cutting it. That way it will cut and not melt and stick to the blade

Bubba
04-04-2004, 07:35 PM
if i had a plasma cutter i wouldnt be asking this question. :D o well, i will try the wd40 thing, hopfully that will work, thanks for the replies.

brian-250
04-04-2004, 07:45 PM
well if y2ks idea dosent work,send it to me and ill cut it:D

quad_quazy
04-04-2004, 07:53 PM
your probably not tearing the blades up, just gumming them up. If your short on cash or don't feel like going to the store you can clean the blades out with something sharp. Then do the WD40 or armor all. <<<I will have to try that one. If you use a grinder get a couple candles and run the grinder across it. That will help keep your grinder wheel from gumming up.

d-14 rider 27
04-04-2004, 11:48 PM
i use a circular saw with whatever blade thats in it, mine says something about wood and fast cut:p wear goggles, not sfety glasses, long sleeves, and gloves cuz the chit flies everywhere, and its hot. oh and ear protection wouldnt hurt cuz its real loud.

and no, im not joking about this i use this method on all my aluminum cutting needs, its fast and cuts straight.

hondarider2006
04-05-2004, 12:46 AM
hacksaw:eek2: :blah:

sickmojave
04-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by d-14 rider 27
i use a circular saw with whatever blade thats in it, mine says something about wood and fast cut:p wear goggles, not sfety glasses, long sleeves, and gloves cuz the chit flies everywhere, and its hot. oh and ear protection wouldnt hurt cuz its real loud.

and no, im not joking about this i use this method on all my aluminum cutting needs, its fast and cuts straight.

I do it the same way but use a carbide tipped blade and run it backwards on the saw. :eek:

killed300ex
04-05-2004, 05:02 AM
yup use a circular saw but turn the blade around backwards. Thats how i cut all of my metal at my house. I actually have a special small saw that i leave with the blade turned around works like a charm usually
killed