PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rebuild costs and suggestions

nikejoe
04-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Here's the deal! I had just got my 400 close to where I wanted it with aftermarket stuff. Now I sucked quite a bit of water through the motor. I think it is going to need rebuilt. I called my shop to look at it and they said it would be 2weeks before they can even look at it. If I get it redone, should I go with a 416, 426, or 440 kit? Also about what should it cost to get this done at a reasonable shop? If I go with one of these, I figure I should also get a hot cam, stage 1 or 2? But would I need anything else to make it run great and still be reliable? I am on a VERY limited budget, but do want it done right! Does anyone know of an inexpensive mechanic around Indianapolis??? Any ideas would be appreciated!!! This riding season has started a bit rough!!!! :p

nikejoe
04-06-2004, 07:16 AM
Anyone have an opinion? I am just looking for an estimate!:confused:

zlam27
04-06-2004, 12:00 PM
i think a basic rebuild will run you about $250. try to break it down and get a rough guesstimate.

cam - $120
piston kit - $100?
boring and honing - $50?
gaskets and misc. - $20

i would think you could do it for under $300 if you find some deals and dont just buy everything from one place. ask C&D maybe then can help ya out.

zach

Adrenalinerush
04-06-2004, 12:01 PM
alld depends on what you get

04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
how many hours do you think a dealership would take do do it? do you think they could do quality work?

Knips178
04-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't take it to a dealership, that's like taking your car to a dealership and having them fix something not under warranty. You'll be lucky to walk out with your dignity, let alone your wallet.
There are tons of small motor mechanics all over that should be able to read a manual and rebuild your motor, but hopefully you can find a good atv shop nearby and have them do it. Sucking water through you engine, i'm not sure what all would have to be replaced.

I don't know why the whole top end would be shot from water. anyone want to explain what it would hurt?

04-06-2004, 12:52 PM
the last small engine repair place is the one who ****ed it up tho...I also heard that its just ,my timing chain making that noise...is that a possibility?

Hondaluva
04-06-2004, 01:55 PM
My experience with water in engines goes back to my 1997 Sea-Doo XP. There was a leak in the boat and before I could figure out where the problem was I ended up taking on water in the engine about four seperate times. All I had to do was ground out the spark plugs and turn the engine over. It was a sight to see water shooting six feet in the air from the spark plug holes. But once the water was gone and I put a new plug in, the engine fired right up and ran just as good as it had before. Granted, it was a two stroke, but I can't imagine how a little water would hurt your engine.

As far as a mechanic, your best bet is to do it yourself if you want it done right. Get yourself a manual, an extra set of hands and a case of beer. You should be able to figure it out. These engines are very simple!!

nikejoe
04-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes I think you guys are about right. I figured I could buy the parts for about $300. But has anyone had it done at a shop, and if so what did that cost? I am semi mechanically inclined, but tearing into the internals of my motor is out of my league. I am looking for a small engine mechanic around Indianapolis, that is competant and reasonable. The one I am checking with is from around my hometown in southern indiana. There is no way I could afford to take it to a dealer. I will probably be leaning toward a 416 kit or so. I don't want to get carried away. Will I have to do any porting or anything? Again anyone else know of a small engine shop around central Indiana???:blah:

nikejoe
04-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Okay i just talked to my brother about tearing into this thing. I think I'm going to tear it down this Saturday. I am looking at gettin a Ross 416 kit. And possibly a Hot cam stage 2 cam. Has anyone heard bad things about the hotcams? Have they gotten any better. Does anyone know of an equal that I would not need hardened rockers with? Also What else would I need to do this? I know that I need the piston kit, the cam, and a gasket kit. But how do I know what gasket kit, is it true that different thicknesses of gaskets change your compression? I am guessing that I will end up going with a 416 kit w/hotcam stage 2. Will I need anything else to get nice performance from this? And will I be able to keep the spark's advanced key? And also will I have to run race fuel with a 10.8-1? Any opinions???:D

04-06-2004, 08:33 PM
10:8:1 you can keep running 93

nikejoe
04-06-2004, 08:44 PM
I thought I could run 93 pump gas, but was not sure. I thought I've heard some people say that they had alot of pinging when they ran it on 416's. I don't remember why it ping's but I thought I heard that some where, but could be wrong. Can I leave in the spark's key?

Any other suggestions on a reasonably priced cam other than hotcam???:cool:

cals400ex
04-06-2004, 10:39 PM
the new hotcams with the flange pressed on are fine and dandy. i would take the sparks key out or too much heat may be added. you should be able to run 93 octane just fine. do NOT use hardened rockers with the hotcam. the stock rockers or stock replacement rockers is what you would want.