PDA

View Full Version : what to get for rough arse trails?

Stealth Monkey
04-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Ive been looking into a 400ex ('00) to get to ride in trails and open land. But at my uncles house he has some sick *** trails. Theres not alot of water except for one creek thats like 1 foot deep. The trails are alot of twisty turny but they arent all cleared out that well, so i might run into some tall grass and small sapling trees. Would a 400EX be good for this? or would i have to get like a utility one?
remember, i will also ride in cleared trails and open land. Im only going to ride at my uncles a couple times outta the year, but there will be alot of abuse there.

i havent gotten any type of quad yet, but i know how to drive them since my uncle has 3, my grandpa has 1 and my friends have them. Ive just been saving up...

also, what should i replace on the EX (if i get one)? i was thinking new clutch plates and a better pipe.

Bill Fuller
04-04-2004, 10:07 AM
The 400 is by far one of the best "all around"quads you can buy.The 'ol 400 might be under powered but it makes up for this in ergonomics and ridability.You can go fast or slow lug the power or rip it you can't go wrong.There are many many mods to this machine as well,money is the only deciding factor as to what you can make it do.As far as mods unless the stock clutch is slipping than I would leave it alone.If you do replace it stick with stock clutch componets,trust me they will hold up to whatever you give them.I would reccommend a pipe it really does open up the useable power the engine makes,my reccomendation is a Sparks pipe.Cam mods really work also personnally I would go with a TC cam but I have heard people having good results with the Hot cams(do a search for more info)Make sure you get a "drop in"cam whatever you do.Suspension is where it is all at in order to go fast you need to be able to handle the machine good shocks and a steering dampener will make all the difference.Stock tires are rather weak so I would suggest changing to a 6 ply tire front and rear for puncture resistance (again do a search for tires)I like Maxxis or Holeshot.Change the oil frequently to keep the motor in good shape as it is not a liquid cooled motor like the new 450's so it does generate more heat.

RMX500
04-04-2004, 12:46 PM
the Raptor has been claimed the trail king quite a few times.. if you want to save a thousand bucks pick up a predator which is very close in power and handles better.

both smoke the 400EX. I have a 400EX and I did a lotof trail riding on it but I just grew out of it. it doesn't like to handle any harsh terrain

sniffthis400
04-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Go for the 400 man it perfect for everything you are gonna go and do.You are able to run over pretty decent sized trees and all sorts of fun ****,I can tell you a predator does not smoke a 400ex.i raced my friend and their was barely any differnce and same with the raptor.Go with the 400 youll be so much more happy.

RMX500
04-04-2004, 06:43 PM
try and sound educated when you post. the 400EX isn't even in the same leage as a predator

Bill Fuller
04-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Man I would love to put a 400 up against your pred.I would take a 400 over the pred any day.I am educated and I know what I'm talking about.Put it in the woods and see where you come out?If the pred is so great than why dosn't any pro or semi pro rider ride one?

thursday
04-04-2004, 06:47 PM
400ex's dont have reverse but the preditor also doesnt have reverse and it is faster then the 400ex the z400 has reverse and is good in trails but if ur looking to go cheap get a 400ex hope that helped

no pro's race 400ex's

RMX500
04-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Man I would love to put a 400 up against your pred.I would take a 400 over the pred any day.I am educated and I know what I'm talking about.Put it in the woods and see where you come out?If the pred is so great than why dosn't any pro or semi pro rider ride one?

I have both a 2003 400EX and my 2004 Predator. I rode the EX for a whole season and I know what it can do. I rode my Predator for 20 minutes and I'm convinced it's better. Faster, front end stays planted, easy to turn, tightest radius of any quad.

Bill Fuller
04-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I believe that pro production was won on a 400EX last year wasn't it?

RMX500
04-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I believe that pro production was won on a 400EX last year wasn't it?

yep, a heavily modded 400EX is as good as anything with a good rider on it.

thursday
04-04-2004, 07:05 PM
yeah it won cuz there were no preds. or yfz450's or z-400's in its way. this year is no pro on a 400ex in the GNC in GNCC yes

Lil - Braff
04-04-2004, 07:33 PM
I think that a 400 would be fine for ya! My dad has a predator and they are great bikes. They are heavier and wider than a 400ex but still a good quad. I'd say go with a 400ex (great dependable quad) or a Z400 (great quad w/ reverse).

4wheelboy
04-09-2004, 01:30 PM
i would take a 400 over a preadator or raptor anyday. theres no contest better handling more parts . MOre reliable. better looking. and its a honda u cant go wrong:o

phireboi
04-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by thursday
no pro's race 400ex's

Umm I am pretty sure there is still one pro in GNCC racing a ex, i saw pics on this site from a race awhile back that said his name and he was the only pro left still riding an ex.

04-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by thursday
400ex's dont have reverse but the preditor also doesnt have reverse and it is faster then the 400ex the z400 has reverse and is good in trails but if ur looking to go cheap get a 400ex hope that helped

no pro's race 400ex's

a lot of pros race 400ex's and who needs reverse? i only use it whenever i need to turn around on my 250 but i could just go around anyway. and a predator is a polaris and theyre built really bad....problems everywhere and a z400 is really popular but their frames are weak and they have probs too....i stick wit honda

IL400EX
05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Stealth Monkey

also, what should i replace on the EX (if i get one)? i was thinking new clutch plates and a better pipe.

I would buy the 400ex, it is king when it comes to reliability and rideability, not to metion that it has only been outdone recently by the 450's(so I've heard, I haven't ridden one yet). Sounds to me like your just getting into the sportbike scene, so the 400 would make the perfect quad. You can race it if you wish and be competitive in the begginer/sport classes, and even higher classes w/ mods.

As far as replacing items, Check the normal maintenance items, chain and spockets, brakes, carrier bearings, pivot bolt bearings and such.

An exhaust is a good start when combined with an aftermarket air filter, and jetting change. Then go from there as your riding ability improves. I have had no problems with my clutch, and will continue to ride on it until I do, then I will consider upgrading to aftermarket.

LTandRaptorider
05-30-2004, 10:57 AM
If the pred is so great than why dosn't any pro or semi pro rider ride one?

Doesn't Kim Kuhnle ride a Predator? :confused:

ILGNCC400EX
05-30-2004, 01:24 PM
yes and he told me he likes it

dreth
06-06-2004, 07:36 AM
show me a predator in 20 yrs then we will talk,honda has proven to be superior for 20 yrs now. proof is when you see those old 1985 3 wheelers still being dogged like it is brand new.

my 400ex has been tortured at least 30 wrecks, 500 hrs, ran over trees , through the mud , over rocks (big ones in the tennessee mnts) 60ft jumps, man you name it and my 400 has been through it. it still runs strong, same chain, same sprockets, all originall frame parts, and plastics. just change oil, clean filter , add gas an ride.

RIDE HARD, RIDE HONDA

Jimford
06-08-2004, 05:15 AM
I like ALL quads but I have to agree with DRETH. My 400 has been through hell and back. My plastics still look great. My frame has no cracks, and it runs like brand new. If your just looking for something fast and super reliable get one. You wont regret it.

06-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by RMX500
it doesn't like to handle any harsh terrain

:huh :huh

That depends on if the rider wears pink gear or not....:o