PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Shocks :-(

Quadzilla
04-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Hey guys,

just got my shcoks that I bought off Ebay ( link-->Click Me (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2470326106&category=4397) ). I installed them properly last night (greased the bushing areas, cleaned the shafts lightly with WD40, made sure they were right side up :-) etc). Well on the up and down stroke they make significant noise like a squeal and they just don't feel smooth. I emailed the guy and he claims they have felt like that from day one when Santo DeRisi set them up (they were originally Works Steelers tripple rates that Santo revalved with the Pro Mil kit and his custom Ressies a couple years ago).

Somehow I have a hard time believing that good, quality, aftermarket shocks are "supposed" to squeal and feel a little ruff on the up and down stroke. Tell me I'm wrong... I may have to send them to Santo for additipnal $$$ if you guys tell me so. This guy said that he just changed the oil himself in them. I may have gotten taken here. Help!

Bill Fuller
04-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Don't sound good.I'm sure Santo can take care of them.

Quadzilla
04-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Anyone else (suspension pros) have an opinion? Thanks!

KASCHAK
04-04-2004, 06:22 PM
i got some shocks off of ebay too. there works tripple rates. they wernt the steelers. they are the other ones.. when i put them on they sag a little big more then stock and they make noice too.. i thought somethign was wrong too. but there wasnt.. they sag alittle big to help keel the front end on the ground. and they just make noice.. they faster your going the better the shocks work. like on rocky trails. not sure about the ruffness when going down and up.. send them to santo hes shoule beable to fix em' up good for ya.

palot
04-04-2004, 06:24 PM
remove the springs compress fully. thet should return to full stroke fully no noise.

JDiablo
04-04-2004, 06:57 PM
my brand new elkas make a sqeaky noise...i think because they are brand new and that they have to get broken in first:huh if that makes sense

Cody_300ex
04-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Spray a little supsion oil on the shaft and down in the body, thats what I did with my stock supiosion and it worked great!:cool:

PhilMoore
04-04-2004, 10:10 PM
It could be the crossover rings. My Elkas have done this since day one. They still work ok.

You said you sprayed the shafts, did you check the upper shock body? The small springs should have "crossovers" or spacer rings in them that move up and down and transfer compression to the next spring.

Greg Z
04-05-2004, 11:52 AM
my tcs squeal and make noise.. its normal....

nothing to worry about... but I dont know about being ruff.. try adjusting the shocks to your likeings..

Quadzilla
04-05-2004, 12:23 PM
It's more of a stiction feel than being ruff. Not used to that much dampening compared to my stock shocks. Sounds like I'm ok I guess. Thanks guys!!!!