PDA

View Full Version : How the Z compares to the YFZ

thursday
04-04-2004, 07:34 AM
i did a search and came up with nothing for this topic, i am wondering if anyone has rode a Z and YFZ what are the noticeable diffrence, im kinda in a pickle here i can buy a z400 and mod the hell out of it or get a Stcok YFZ, so i need some input

Pappy
04-04-2004, 07:39 AM
it will really depend on what your plans are.

if its all out MX then its the YFZ hands down

if XC is your thing either will make a great quad, but id say the Z might just edge out the YFZ in stock form for the woods. (reverse, ability to just plug along , Z is proven reliablity etc)

both will need some slight mods, the YFZ is pretty much ready for the MX track straight from the box. The Z needs frame gusseting almost immediatley and suspension work.

southbeach14
04-04-2004, 08:17 AM
i will have to agree with pappy, yfz is better for mx, also because the z's frame is a bad design and would crack under the stress of mx

thursday
04-04-2004, 04:00 PM
im going to be doing MX, but i see that some YFZ are going for 5300 used so maybe with in some time ill get one for that price....im only 15 so i cant race either until im 16 ne ways

KoyukKFX
04-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
it will really depend on what your plans are.

if its all out MX then its the YFZ hands down

Not to start an arguement, and also to state Doug Gust is going to be successful on almost anything he rides because of his abilities, but I'm sure you'll see just as much money put into the top pro's YFZ's as Doug Gust's #1 Z.

You said you're in a pickle and would buy a Z and "mod the hell out of it". For mx, you'd put from $1,500, up to $2,500 for a full blown 450 that'll keep up with anything. A-arms, shocks, axle, swing-arm, gussets, tires......

Or, if you got the YFZ, it'd be a cure all and you wouldn't put any money into it? Come'on! You'd put a little less money into the motor (cams, exhaust, intake) but still put forth ca$h for tires, suspension, axle, arms.....

Point being, if you're serious about racing, and especially MX, you're going to put money in to your bike, no matter what it is. You might not think so at first, but once you get competition flowing in your blood, it's a money trap. So why not start with a stock platform that costs the least to aquire in the first place? One that is more comfortable and has reverse!

thursday
04-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by KoyukKFX
Not to start an arguement, and also to state Doug Gust is going to be successful on almost anything he rides because of his abilities, but I'm sure you'll see just as much money put into the top pro's YFZ's as Doug Gust's #1 Z.

You said you're in a pickle and would buy a Z and "mod the hell out of it". For mx, you'd put from $1,500, up to $2,500 for a full blown 450 that'll keep up with anything. A-arms, shocks, axle, swing-arm, gussets, tires......

Or, if you got the YFZ, it'd be a cure all and you wouldn't put any money into it? Come'on! You'd put a little less money into the motor (cams, exhaust, intake) but still put forth ca$h for tires, suspension, axle, arms.....

Point being, if you're serious about racing, and especially MX, you're going to put money in to your bike, no matter what it is. You might not think so at first, but once you get competition flowing in your blood, it's a money trap. So why not start with a stock platform that costs the least to aquire in the first place? One that is more comfortable and has reverse!

good points and yea i planning on doing alot to it to

adema
04-07-2004, 07:20 PM
to tell u the truth about both bikes is that there is no difference if ur gonna mood the hell out of it first u should get a new fram if ur racing mx makes it light like 325lbs and a 450 kit with a-arms swingarm and shock handel bars take the light out rotor chain and if u want switch to a kickstart to lighten it even more. tires axel etc i pretty much answered it all except some rims and other stuff to but u can also do this to the yfz so it doesnt matter really.

experson
04-17-2004, 08:40 PM
if its trails your going to ride in then the z because of reverse but if its mx then the yfz because its a little less tippy then the z