PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Pull ???????

Cly
04-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Hi All....

I ran in my first Hare scramble and found that after the first lap or so it was hard to pull my clutch in and after the 3rd lap my left arm was so worn out I killed the bike several times because I just could not get the clutch in fast enough.It took everything I had.I know that alot of it was just me wearing down but I would think that there is something I could do to make it easyier.I went to local shop and they had a Moose clutch thingy that dose some sort of gear reduction that goes on you cable and then it hooks to your lever.Has anyone used one of these?If so how do you like it and if not what else can I do?I also got one of those cable lubing deals and lubed the cable but it is still stiff.

Thanks Cly

2001 400EX

Natertot426ex
04-04-2004, 07:55 AM
I have the same problem with mine. I think I need a new clutch. I pull mine and then go to a new 400 and pull it. There is a big difference. You might need a new clutch:confused:

44oEX
04-04-2004, 07:59 AM
just get a new cable and yeah the after market clutch levers do help alot.

The only other way is to start training

Florida400EX
04-04-2004, 08:48 AM
or, try buying some cable lube maybe?

Cly
04-04-2004, 10:34 AM
I have tried to lube it already....

Cly

Bill Fuller
04-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Try a new cable or go all out and get a hydrolic clutch.Make sure if you get a new cable to route it properly and get as much clearance from the pipe as possible.I have seen to many new cables get ruined because they get melted.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Mine has been hard to pull also I had an MSR lever on it still pretty hard, this weekend I lubed the cable and put an RTC lever on and that made a huge difference (I did lube it with the MSR lever) I am pretty impressed with the RTC levers.

RMX500
04-04-2004, 06:47 PM
if anything the clutch gets easier over time.

try doing some arm curls.

Bill Fuller
04-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Do you even ride?I have never had a clutch get easier over time to pull.

jonc623
04-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by RMX500

try doing some arm curls. must be something new on the polaris ?? i have never had one get easy unless it broke

Atreyu
04-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Mine is like this too. Getting an aftermarket lever..I'll see if that helps..but I just had a new clutch put in.

Toadz400
04-05-2004, 08:15 AM
I have a PEP clutch lever and perch and it seems to pull pretty decent, it's starting to get stiffer so I may lube the cable or else get a new cable and a new RTC lever and perch.

RMX500, nice sig...considering those come stock;) .

And usually a clutch lever gets harder over time, not the other way around.

UglyMotha™
04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by RMX500

try doing some arm curls.

it's gets easier huh? :huh where'd you say your from again :confused:

replace your cable there like 12 bucks for an oem i usally put 2 to 3 on mine a year cause there so cheap and makes a big difference it's unbelievable how stiff they get after a while

Bill Fuller
04-05-2004, 06:47 PM
He's so smart............smarter than he is ugly.............or is it the other way around?:D

44oEX
04-06-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I have a PEP clutch lever and perch and it seems to pull pretty decent, it's starting to get stiffer so I may lube the cable or else get a new cable and a new RTC lever and perch.

RMX500, nice sig...considering those come stock;) .

And usually a clutch lever gets harder over time, not the other way around.

he forgot to say that he has a durablue axle:D

UglyMotha™
04-06-2004, 09:10 AM
i like to think i'm smarter than ugly :macho

redroost85
04-06-2004, 09:33 AM
I put a brand new oem cable and put on a PEP e-z pull lever and perch and am very happy with it. I lubed the chit outta it and it is about 50 times easier to pull than stock.:)

Cly
04-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Well I got a pro motion cable.(shoulda just got a stock one)and installed it and it is still hard ta pull.I heard that the ASV levers are nice but I would have to do away with my switchs on that side of the bars.Are the RTC levers like that too?I do not want to loose my switch assembly if I don't have too.Dose anyone have the ASV or CTR levers and still have there on/off,start and headlamp switchs still in place?

Thanks Cly

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-07-2004, 05:49 PM
All you need to take off is the stock clutch perch and parking brake. I have the RTC lever and the on off start and headlamp switch still in place. You will need to get a blockoff plate once you get rid of the parking brake.

Cly
04-07-2004, 05:56 PM
I already have the block off plate installed.I wasn't sure how the RTC lever would fit on there.I seen the ASV and it has an adjuster on so you can adjust how close it is to the bars(I think) and it looked like it would hit that switch assembly.I am guessing that the RTC lever dose not have that adjuster on there?That may be what I need.I don't think that there is anything wrong with that clutch itself so I wil probably just get one of those RTC levers.I am just hoping that it dose the trick.

Cly

04-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Put some more plates in there and heavier springs. Then the clutch pull gets real fun after 1.5 hours of racing in a XC race..:eek2:

RTC lever and new cable work great together.:cool: