PDA

View Full Version : hub bearings

J25
04-03-2004, 09:28 PM
has anyone replaced there wheel hub bearings? i need to and some ppl said ther an @$$ to replace?

KY Woods Rider
04-03-2004, 11:01 PM
I haven't replaced them on a 400EX, because for whatever reason mine are still good after over 5yrs of pounding:huh, while just about every other stock bushing and bearing on the quad went south within about 1yr.

On the other quads that I've changed them on, I didn't think they were that bad. They aren't the most fun thing to replace, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as replacing axle bearings or swingarm bearings.

andrew360
04-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Easy to do. Pull the hubs off and mark them - left and right. Remove the dust seals and using a punch, tap around the outer race of the bearing (from the inside) to remove the bearing. Clean up the spacer and the mounting surface of the hub, then use a socket the same diameter as the O.D. of the bearing, and tap them in with a hammer. Use blue LocTite on the outer race of the bearing to prevent them from being "spun" in the hub. Let me know if this helps or if it was just confusing.

monty
04-04-2004, 05:39 AM
J25, Andrew is good you can get them on ebay cheap I think I paid @$25 for mine you can also put them in the freezer for a day and they will push right in with your hands so you don't have to pound them.

andrew360
04-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Monty is right on the freezer trick. They should slide right in. If you decide to LocTite them in (I always do), you need to "prep" the bearing and hub surface first. Wipe them down with acetone (fingernail polish remover - same ingredient found in LocTite primer) and let them air dry. Then, use your finger and apply a thin coat of blue LocTite (242) to the outer race. At my work, I have access to slam-hammers, bearing pullers, and manual and hydraulic presses. PM me if you want, maybe I can help you out. Oh yeah, as far as getting bearings, eBay is a good choice; You can look under "bearings" in your local yellow pages and get some prices on them locally. Here are the industry standard part #'s for a 400EX's wheel bearings:

Inner - 6004 2RS
Outer - 6202 UU or 6202 2RS

Sometimes you can get these from a bearing supplier for dirt cheap, other times they're pricier than heck. Hope this helps.

J25
04-04-2004, 05:28 PM
thanks guys for the help i think im gonna order them off ebay i apreciate all your help