PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Axles Bending???????

Gibson Racing 6
04-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Hey, I have been reading a lot of posts and it has been bothering me that the axles are bending when gettin big and hitting bigger jumps. My question is why would honda take a short cut on the axle. What are so good after market axles that i could buy.

Thanks,

norrisboat
04-03-2004, 08:23 PM
ive been reading the forums and only heard of one. I see tons of people always crying about honda and the rear axle, but no threads on actual people bending them.

4fiddyR
04-03-2004, 08:48 PM
anything can brake or bend, Yamaha was known for weak axles on there Raptors, I bent mine. Regardless of what the manufactuers claim (sport quad, race quad) a TRX, YFZ, KFX, LTZ they all can brake or bend. Those axles are not ment to be jumped on a 60 ft double, and if you tell them that is how it broke I doubt they would cover it.

lukester720
04-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Durablue, axcaliber, lonestar, ect, ect, were all in business long before the 450r came along. The axle on this quad is no weaker than the axle on any other similar quad. I weigh 270 and was riding the track and trails at bucks run yesterday hitting the jumps and landing hard and mine is still fine so chances are you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't waste 300+ dollars on something if you don't need it but I don't know how crazy the jumps are you hit but I'm not changing mine unless I have a reason. L8ter.

Gibson Racing 6
04-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys

WOracing
04-04-2004, 02:20 PM
just dont go durabreak.....go lonestar or rpm

Scottie Mac
04-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Even though they are considered "sport" quads, they are not intended to be jumped over 50-60 footers. About the only stock axle that is worth a $hit is the one on the Polaris Predator, and that is because Team Industies supplies them.

Scott

86atc250r
04-04-2004, 07:54 PM
The 400EX has one of the best Stock axles in the business. I've bent two of them slightly, but in both cases it was completely understandable.

So far, I've punished my 450R axle pretty well - so far, it seems to have very similar strength as a 400EX axle.

I don't really think you can say "OEM axles aren't made to do 60 footers, etc"

It's all in the landing - I've landed numerous 90' plus jumps on stock 400EX axles with no trouble what-so-ever --- yet I've seen novice level riders banana axles and break swingarms hitting small jumps --- it's all in the landing, no matter what the distance of the jump really is. If you land badly, expect to break and bend stuff.

4fiddyR
04-04-2004, 08:11 PM
I agree with ya, but I couldn't tell a dealer I broke or bent my axle doing a 60ft double. I just think that is asking for a bad time trying to get it covered. :rolleyes:

trx11t
04-05-2004, 09:53 AM
I bent one and it wasn't anywhere near a 60 footer. It was a simple step up type jump. I landed hard but nothing to make me think wow that is going to break something. I kept riding and the ride got real rough. I look down and the left side is wobbling like crazy. I was amazed. Worst part is that it wasn't my bike.
I felt like crap even though I felt it shouldn't have happened.
Oh well. Live and learn.

lukester720
04-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by trx11t
I bent one and it wasn't anywhere near a 60 footer. It was a simple step up type jump. I landed hard but nothing to make me think wow that is going to break something. I kept riding and the ride got real rough. I look down and the left side is wobbling like crazy. I was amazed. Worst part is that it wasn't my bike.
I felt like crap even though I felt it shouldn't have happened.
Oh well. Live and learn.

That is why I don't like to borrow peoples stuff. I know how my luck is.