PDA

View Full Version : Need fast help! rear brakes!

Florida400EX
04-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok, I just bought all my new brake parts and everything, and assembled them. but now, when I step on the pettal, there is no pressure/ stopping power. Also, on the caliper, there is a bolt all the way at the end with a big seal/cover on it, if I tighten the bolt, the brakes lock up, if I loosen it, the wheels move free, but no stopping power when I step on the pedal. The brakes were all out of fluid so I'm putting the brake fluid in. I think I'm not putting the fluid in the right way?
Can somebody please help me, I'm going to the track tomorow, and need brakes!!!!
My AIM screenname is TeamECCRM125

thanks alot for your help!

4wheelboy
04-03-2004, 08:18 PM
try bleeding your breaks:(

trikemoto85
04-03-2004, 08:24 PM
i would try bleeding the brakes, i think that bolt with the seal/cover is your parking brake adjuster or somethin to do with that..im not really sure though

2004TRX450R
04-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Sounds like you need to bleed your brakes. I think the bolt you are refering to is the parking brake adjuster. You want it turned all the way in just before it starts to activate the brake. Then when you activate the parking brake it will hold the bike still.

04-03-2004, 08:56 PM
the parking brake assembly is the most worthless POS of all time...hond ais forced to put them on there b/c of government laws & the parking brakes cause your rear brake pads to wear down very quickly.....my first mod was a parking brake block off

Florida400EX
04-03-2004, 09:46 PM
I know this sounds dumb, but how do I bleed the brakes?

KY Woods Rider
04-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Yep, bleed the brakes, the caliper and/or line is full of air. It will take a couple minutes of bleeding before you start getting any feel at the pedal. Continue bleeding and adding fluid until you get a normal feel at the pedal.

Florida400EX
04-03-2004, 09:54 PM
ok, the bleeding sounds easy enough, but my brake fluid is coming out of the "parking brake bolt." I'm not sure if its the parking brake bolt, but thats what im guessing, its a bolt with a big cover, facing the swingarm, with a hole through the middle.

pairanutz
04-03-2004, 09:58 PM
yep that sounds like it =has two bolt hole on ethier side off it
some off those can take a while and alot off fluid before they will build up pressure-good luck racin

Florida400EX
04-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by pairanutz
yep that sounds like it =has two bolt hole on ethier side off it
some off those can take a while and alot off fluid before they will build up pressure-good luck racin

I think I know what you're talking about, so you're saying if I bleed the brakes long enough, the fluid will stop draining out of it?

KY Woods Rider
04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
I know this sounds dumb, but how do I bleed the brakes?

Well, this isn't a detailed version, but here's most of what you need to know...

One person can do the bleeding if they're flexible enough, but it's much easier if you have a friend who can work the brake pedal while you work the bleeder valve.

If you look at the caliper you'll see a small fitting with a little rubber cap (the cap should be there anyway). It's located near where the brake line connects onto the caliper. If you take the rubber cap off, the fitting looks similar to a grease fitting only it's hollow. That fitting is the bleeder valve.

To do the bleeding you'll need a wrench that will fit the bleeder valve and a small piece of tubing (preferably clear and long enough to be looped in a circle) that will fit over the bleeder valve. The tubing should be long enough to go into something to catch the fluid, because if you get that fluid on your rotor and pads, you'll get to do some fun cleaning with brake cleaner.

Then, pump the brake pedal a couple times and hold it down. While holding the pedal down, quickly open the valve a bit and then close it. Once the valve is closed, let up on the brake pedal, pump it a couple times again, hold it down, then open and close the valve again.

When you start getting some fluid coming out, you'll see bubbles in it if you're using a clear hose on the valve. Those bubbles are air from within the brake system. When you start getting a feel to the pedal, do the above process of holding down the brake pedal and opening the bleeder valve. However, once you do have some pressure at the pedal, when you loosen the valve the pedal will drop down and bottom out, so close the valve at the instant you feel the pedal bottom out.

There are two extremely important things you must remember while doing this...
#1 - Keep the brake fluid reservoir full of fluid at all times. As you're bleeding the brakes the fluid will go down because it's coming out the bleeder valve, so you must keep a check on the fluid level at all times. If you ever let the fluid level drop too low, you'll suck air into the brake system and you get to start bleeding all over again.
#2 - Never release the brake pedal until the bleeder valave is closed. If you let the pedal rise while the valve is open, you'll suck air into caliper, and you'll get to spend several more minutes getting all that air out again.

KY Woods Rider
04-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
my brake fluid is coming out of the "parking brake bolt." I'm not sure if its the parking brake bolt, but thats what im guessing, its a bolt with a big cover, facing the swingarm, with a hole through the middle.

The parking brake is located on the side of the main body of the caliper. It has a long bolt and a big rubber boot in the center and two other bolts holding the entire assembly onto the caliper.

There is also an allen head pin that the called the slide pin which has a rubber boot on it. It's located at the top left (toward swingarm) of the caliper.

If there's fluid coming from any of those bolts, there's a seal leaking, which is letting air into the brake system and letting fluid out.

Florida400EX
04-03-2004, 10:39 PM
The bolt where the oil is coming out of it like a fat plastic looking thing, but its a really fat bolt. Its facing the swingarm. The bolt does have a hole in in like it's suppose to drain something, but I don't know anything about it, so any advice would help!
thanks guys!

04-03-2004, 11:40 PM
tahts your master cylinder...that has nothing to do with bleeding the breaks...leave that alone.....you will go to the top & see a clear reservoir after you take your seat off & there will be a rubber boot inside it & stuff....thats what you need to pay close attention to

Florida400EX
04-04-2004, 08:41 AM
I bled the brakes, I did it all correct. I think I figured the problem out. The parking brake bolt, facing the swingarm is leaking so I pulled that parking brake off. After that I came to find out that the little metal rod inside the parking brake assembly had fluid all around it. I am NEVER going to use the parking brake, so would I be able to seal it up with ehhh JB weld maybe?

Florida400EX
04-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Anybody? Any thaughts?

sickmojave
04-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Buy the block off plate for the E brake. replace the seal that is leaking. do it right the first time and it won't come back to bite you on a trail. save the JB weld for more desperate situations.;)

Florida400EX
04-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
Buy the block off plate for the E brake. replace the seal that is leaking. do it right the first time and it won't come back to bite you on a trail. save the JB weld for more desperate situations.;)

Do you have AIM? If you do PLEASE instant message me at TeamECCRM125

thanks a lot!

jonc623
04-04-2004, 02:11 PM
dude you need to rebuild your caliper mine was doing the same thing get a shop manual it will tell you all you need to know there are 3 o rings in the caliper one little one and 2 big ones replace those and you will be set i just had to do mine but i ended up getting a complete caliper as my piston was worn pretty bad due to someone running it with no brake pads

Florida400EX
04-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Jonc, how much did you pay for your whole new caliper? The person I bought it from said that it needed new pads and that the brakes were leaking fluid. Well, I took the caliper off yesterday, and the old pads were complete trash, like half of the pad was left(literally it was cut in half) so I put new EBC pads in. So, I bleed the brakes, put the new and look, and the oil was coming out where the parking brake was. So, if the price is right on a new caliper, I may go with one, or if its too much, I'll rebuild my currect one.

Thanks!

sickmojave
04-04-2004, 04:35 PM
just go to servicehonda.com and they have all the parts to fix it right at a fair price. beats going to the dealer;) .

Try here

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm

Florida400EX
04-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by sickmojave
just go to servicehonda.com and they have all the parts to fix it right at a fair price. beats going to the dealer;) .

Try here

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm

lifesaver!