PDA

View Full Version : preload and sag for susp.

mkremer1
03-12-2002, 09:07 AM
I have herd so much about what people are using for shocks and what they like about them, but I have not herd how they are setting them up.
I would like input on what is a good match for preload and how much sag, you are leaving in your suspension. I know that this is a personal thing and that it will change from rider to rider, but any input is good input. Should this be based on a percentage of the travel ?

I understand the proper set-up for suspension with preload, rebound, ect. , but I am looking for numbers to start with to determin what is needed, springs, re-valving, or what ever it might be.
Thank You, Mike

Leo
03-12-2002, 07:11 PM
What kind of shocks are you running Mike..?

I'm looking into / on the verge of buying some type of zero-preload shock, but haven't yet decided which manufacturer to go with..?

Leo

03-12-2002, 08:42 PM
does it hurt to run no sag in the rear shock?

mopar 400
03-13-2002, 05:46 PM
I have two 400's, one a 99 and the other a 2000, the 99 has barely no sag in the rear shock at all. I bought the bike used, so I am not sure if it has ever been out of the bike or not. My 2000 has about half an inch to an inch of sag, what is going on here. They both have swtock shocks, yet i like the one with no sag much better. What is stock for these rear shocks? NO sag or is it supposed to sag?:rolleyes:

mkremer1
03-19-2002, 08:20 AM
I have been told that we should have some room in the shock to rebound up to prevent it from slaming to hard, Like the reverse of bottoming. When bottoming the shock, it has traveled through the compression stroke which has somewhat reduced the impact, What about the top side when compression is released.

krazykurtk
03-19-2002, 04:01 PM
Here is a link to a page that has some good info on it.
http://www.off-road.com/atv/suspension/shockadj.htm

Quadfather
03-19-2002, 04:09 PM
No one knows less about setting up a suspension than me. That link is very informative. I've been wondering how to do it. I'll work on it this weekend.

DiceMan400
03-19-2002, 04:12 PM
Sag and rebound is determined by how much you weigh..... The stockers are pre-set to average weight I think...... Dont quote me on that....... All you can do on your stock shocks is set preload...... That just stiffens them or softens them......... Now if you had Ohlins you can set preload, compression, and rebound...... I think Works offers shocks that do that too....... But whatever the case is, it is up to you to determine what feels right to you....... What works for me may not work for you......

Dave400ex
03-19-2002, 05:29 PM
Leo, I would go with Elka.

Here`s Some Good Info I Found:

Before confusing you with all kinds of fancy shock jargon, we'll clue you in on how a shock works and more importantly how to adjust them correctly. There are plenty of variables that can drastically change the performance of your shocks. We suggest you try only one variable at a time. Experiment and dial your shocks in for your type of riding and the type of terrain you ride in. It might be a good idea to print this article and keep it with your tools. This way you'll have it handy the next time you fiddle with your shocks.

Preload
This identifies how stiff the spring is on the shock. At the top of the shock there are two nuts. The one at the bottom is the adjustment nut, while the one at the top is the jam-nut; it locks the adjustment nut in place. Tightening the adjustment nut will increase the preload, allowing for a stiffer ride. To provide a softer ride, back-off the adjustment nut up on the shock, thereby decreasing preload.

Compression Damping
Compression damping is the amount of force the shock will absorb. A harder compression setting should be used to soak up landings from massive jumps, while softer compression should be used while riding over less aggressive terrain. To adjust the compression on the gas remote reservoirs just turn the screw to the softer or harder position. In the event there is no indicator, unscrewing the dial will allow a softer compression, while screwing the dial in will make for a harder compression setting.

Rebound
The speed that the shock returns to its original position is how fast it rebounds. For a riding area with lots of jumps or whoops in a row, a faster rebound should be used. A smooth riding area such as a TT track will allow the opposite. To adjust the rebound, look for an adjuster near the bottom of the shock. To adjust for a faster rebound simply unscrew the adjuster, to allow for a slower rebound, screw it in.

Smoker
03-19-2002, 07:49 PM
www.customaxisshocks.com has a manual that explains in detail how to set there shocks up but it also has anything you will want to know about suspension in general. It's in pdf format so you have to download it but it's good toilet time reading.:p