PDA

View Full Version : oil pump

btyoe
04-03-2004, 05:33 PM
well my engine is makin a noise and i thing its the oil pump can someone tell me where the oil pump is in the 400ex

skemp
04-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Under the right crankcase cover toward the front where the oil lines come out of the motor and go to the oil tank/cooler.

KY Woods Rider
04-03-2004, 09:31 PM
There's an easy way to see if the oil pump is working correctly on a 400EX. If you look on the right side (brake pedal side) of the engine, look at the bottom front of the motor where the two oil lines connect, then directly below those lines you'll see a check bolt.

Okay, start the motor and let it warm up for a few minutes. After you get it started and get it running smoothy, be sure to let it idle for at least 2 or 3 minutes without giving it any throttle. With the motor still running at idle, remove the small check bolt that is below where the oil lines connect to the motor. If the oil pump and lube system are working properly it will keep the oil in the crankcase at a consistent level, so when you remove the check bolt, the oil level in the crankcase should be flush with the bottom of the check bolt hole.

sprtrx300ex
04-04-2004, 12:15 PM
not to steal your thread or anything, but Im having a problem with that. I checked the screw just how you said, and theres no oil. Just air shooting out. I shook the quad, but still no oil. There is the right amount of oil in the engine.

Also, I just put in a new oil filter, would this affect it? Whats wrong?