PDA

View Full Version : 400ex 14 Tooth Sprocket

IMCanadian
04-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Is it necessary to drop a link in your chain to accomodate the 14T sprocket? If not then how much adjustment do you lose on your chain?

sickmojave
04-03-2004, 06:27 AM
No you don't have to remove a link.

Teufel
04-03-2004, 08:17 AM
No you can leave the chain in tact , I change mine from 14 to 15 regularly

06-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Hope you can help? I just changed the stock sprocket on my son's 400ex to a 14 tooth. Have a question on the "sprocket retainer" though? You bolt the sprocket retainer to the sprocket with the two 10mm bolts but what exactly is holding the sprocket on other than the meshing of the teeth on the sprocket and the shaft? The retainer does not seem to be holding anything on other than using the having the bolt heads butt up against the sprocket guard. I put it all back together easily enough per the instructions in the 14" Renthal sprocket review found on this site but I feel like I shouldn't turn him loose on the bike until I'm satisfied.
Suggestions?

PHIL_B54
06-15-2004, 12:09 PM
the retainers teeth should block the sprokets teeth from crossing the retaining groove. if you really want to feel better, remove the chain and then tightenen the sprocket down and try to pull it off. i would think that the chain its-self would assist in holding the sprocket on, and i cant think that there would be much force involved trying to slide the sprocket off

TC426EX
06-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Stock chain length will be fine....

06-15-2004, 04:10 PM
thanks for the reply, I'm on my way out now to take another look at it with your advice in mind. Doug

Silver400EXinBR
06-15-2004, 09:08 PM
yea once you put on the retainer and turn it the teeth keep it from coming off once putting the two bolts on.. i know its not much but once you adjust you chain with out the tretainer and bolts try to take it off, the chain even hold it on... but the reatiner is there. I dont think Honda would have degined if it was a safety issue.. The 14 tooth bolts on just s the 15 tooth.. It will not be a problem. Cause have never seen a thread on here with that problem and I am sure I never will.... And then the chain gaurd is also another way it wont come off... 3 diff way it will ensure it will not slide off.. I see all day people running 16 tooth sprockes with no chain guard or case saver ( dumb if you as me... but I see it and never a probelm, until the leg gets caught in there or the chain to pop and crack there case... They will just wish they went down in the rear.... and left the 15 on the front... hope it works out for you.. I just became a dad and I know I will be the same way once my son gets his first atv......

06-16-2004, 07:37 AM
I have to admit I was a dumb*****. The first time I slid the sprocket on I didn't push it far enough down past the retainer groove. It wasn't until I went back out after reading the reply from Phil that I took the retainer off, pushed the sprocket down saw the groove and figured it all out. Duh!
Thanks guys, you saved me alot of grief when that ineviatably would have slid off and did who knows what to the bike and maybe even hurt the boy. Hate it when I don't pay attention.
By the way Silver, we're looking at changing the plastic on the boys 400ex and he wants silver. Is yours Maier? Is the quality okay? Any regrets? Sure makes for a sharp looking ATV.
Again, big thanks to all who responded. Hope I can repay the favor someday. Doug

Silver400EXinBR
06-16-2004, 11:19 AM
I love mine,, had them for about 6 months and had no sags what so ever.. I love them and it was only like 290 for it all too.. They dont bolt up like factory which sucks but it all goes together and looks good aftr... took me about an hour and half to bolt everything up.... But i thought it was fun..

PHIL_B54
06-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Doug Hansing
Again, big thanks to all who responded. Hope I can repay the favor someday. Doug

no problem man, thats what this place is for