PDA

View Full Version : Please Read who know alot about the performance of a 400EX

Silver400EXinBR
04-02-2004, 10:01 PM
I just got my Hot Cam, Stage 2 in yesterday. I was just gonna get that installed but I went to the local shop and He told me 150 to do the cam... SO I asked him about port and polishing it and He said $200 to port and polish it and the cam. I was wondering when taking the head off to port and polish, Does the Piston have to come out?
If so, Would it be alot better to go ahead and get a 11.1 piston to put in it to help out even more? I would like to know what kinda of gains am I looking at with the port and polish job and the cam... And then whats the difference gonna be with Port and Polishing, The Cam, And the 11.1 piston? How big of a difference? I don't really have the money to bore it out yet and my bike is still fairly new so I am not ready to dish out all that money yet. I will be running the Curtis Sparks x-6 with all this also. And if I should get the piston what is the best piston to get with the stage 2 cam and port and polishing and where is the cheapest place to get it with all the gaskets and everything needed to install. And most of all, I want the bike to still be just as relible as it is now, Stock. I would really appreciate all the feedback I can get on this. Thanks alot ya'll!!!!

Cannonball08
04-02-2004, 10:08 PM
No you don't have to take the piston out to do a cam change. but you should put an 11:1 in if you are doing a cam change or you won't feel a difference with doing just the cam.

Silver400EXinBR
04-02-2004, 10:16 PM
do u have to take the piston out to do the port and polishjob tho is what I am asking. And if not, actualy how much more work would it be for the guy to change ou the pistons when port and polishing it? ANd what is the best piton kit to get for stock bore?

Cannonball08
04-02-2004, 10:24 PM
no you don't have to take the piston out to port and polish. Any 11:1 will work fine. but i would deffinatly get a piston before i put a cam in, or got a port job.

hondafreestyler
04-03-2004, 07:22 AM
well if he's doing it all at once he should be fine

Silver400EXinBR
04-03-2004, 08:01 AM
well how much work would it be extra to take out the stock piston and put in the new one since he got it tore down and doing the polish job and cam???

Teufel
04-03-2004, 08:04 AM
It will make a better job if you did the piston as well. If money is an issue then at a minimum replace the rings and scotch bright the cylinder.:cool:

Silver400EXinBR
04-03-2004, 08:41 AM
what is scotch brighting the cylinder.? And why is no one answering my question? I mean would it be alot more extra for them to change out the piston whenever they are port/polishing and installing the cam into my bike? And everyone is telling me to go with the piston, so I am... So what is the best and Where is the cheapest place to get the whole kit, with gaskets, clips and everything?? I found on ebay, brand new Wiseco Piston Kit, Everything to install for 130 shipped.. Is that good? But mainly how much more extra money do u think it will cost for me to get the piston put in whule its in the shop getting port and polished??

Chef
04-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Shouldnt be too much in labor. I think theres 4 nuts holding the cylinder on.

hondafreestyler
04-03-2004, 11:27 AM
well dude ...

1st off you need to look around for the cheapest place

2nd off no one can tell you how much more .... some dealers want more then others ... why dont u just pick up the phone ... dial the # ... ask for the service department ... and ask them yourselfs instead of b*tching at us for not telling you

Silver400EXinBR
04-03-2004, 11:54 AM
u stupid mother ******, That is what this forum is for, I never was *****ing, I am just tryig to learn a little about this sport and the motor that I dont know much about. And I would rather see what kinds of performance it would make if i do this stuff or not. Cause every place I call is gong to say do it all!!! And I would rather ask yall and learn before I call all kinds of places and sounds like a *** and not learning a ******* thing. So, jut stay the **** off this post!

Chef
04-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Silver400EXinBR
u stupid mother ******, That is what this forum is for, I never was *****ing, I am just tryig to learn a little about this sport and the motor that I dont know much about. And I would rather see what kinds of performance it would make if i do this stuff or not. Cause every place I call is gong to say do it all!!! And I would rather ask yall and learn before I call all kinds of places and sounds like a *** and not learning a ******* thing. So, jut stay the **** off this post!

LMAO!!! Wow, you need some prozak or something.

Crawl69
04-03-2004, 04:59 PM
If you're going to have the head ported and polished, then I would get the piston, it's not that much more work. To be honest, if you're willing to buy a piston, then dont screw around a build a 416 or 426, that way you can still use your stock cylinder. it cost me $100 to have my cylinder bored and resleeved, The same local machine shop would've charged me $30 to have it bored to a 416 or 426. I've seen 416 kits on ebay for $120 with a JE piston. I went with a Ross kit because it was the compression I could get without buying a wiseco "seizeco" piston. In order for me to get a JE piston I would have to send my engine to a builder and spend a fortune. That's just my $0.02

nakomis0
04-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Install might as well install a piston while the motors open.

Where to get one? Which one to get?

Call C&D tell em ya want a Ross piston with 11:1 compression.. with the thin gaskets.

quadkrazy400ex
04-04-2004, 11:34 AM
powroll has the kit im thinking about...its a 415 kit with all gaskets and JE 10.8:1 compression piston. its supposed to be very reliable.
http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_TRX400EX.htm
go to there site and look around.. they have pretty good prices
with this kit you can run on 91 pump gas too...added bonus

jonc623
04-04-2004, 01:58 PM
hey randy the scotch briteing the cly is a cheap hone job you would be better off going with the 11 to 1 piston and you can get one in stock bore wiseco pistons are pretty good i have heard the je pistons are alot better you can run the cam with your stock piston too the cam deal is not a hard job to pull off i got the book on cd if you need one let me know later bro stay cool and get ahold of me if you need any help jon
p.s. i run a 440 11 to 1 piston and the pipe i got from you on pump gas have had no problems rode the ***** of of the thing yesterday and it runs great like i said get ahold of me and ill help you out

Florida400EX
04-04-2004, 03:25 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100733