PDA

View Full Version : Predator 500 First Impressions

RMX500
04-02-2004, 01:36 PM
:eek2: Holy God is it ever fun! Beyond that I have to say the suspension totally rocks. If the Predator were a 350lb machine it would be the single best quad ever in terms of suspension and handling.

The handling is so awesome. The back end is so squirrly when you want it to be.. i can slide just thinking about it. the predator has the tightest turning radius I've ever experienced as well.

I've barely ridden this thing and I'm so in love with it. The clutch is nice and smooth.. the gear ratios are good (except 3rd is too short, 4th is too tall, and 5th needs to be a bit taller) it's not off by THAT much so I still think the gearbox is pretty rockin'

as far as comfort goes.. it's easily as comfortable as my 400EX.. but at the same time it's ergo's are more fitting to sport style riding and standing up.

the only things I'd change on this machine are:

1. Change some stuff so there's less mechanical noise
2. Change the handlebars
3. Use a traditional thumb throttle style.. the one it has is kinda goofy

3 points on the Predator I think are class leading are

1. Suspension + Stability
2. Maneuverability
3. Torque :D

Dill Pickle
04-02-2004, 02:03 PM
good review, and yes the predator is a blast to ride:devil:

jmoney45
04-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like a great machine. I wish I knew somebody with one so I could take it for a spin. Maybe someday.

RMX500
04-02-2004, 03:33 PM
as soon as I can I'm going to slip on a new pipe. I want something with a nice sound to it so I'm thinking WB or Pro-Circuit slip on.

It already has the highest flow headers possible so it just needs filter, jet and slip on. I'll be pushin' about 50 horse.

QuadJunkies
04-02-2004, 05:11 PM
My only REAL complaint so far is getting the rear tires to hook up..... WAY too much spin when you DONT want it!!! We have tried a few tireseverything from American racers (for the flattrack)to Stock 400ex tires(much better but too big!)and the other would be the shifter for me...I literally have to lift my whole foot to shift:huh Other than that..I love that THANG!!!!:D The power is awesome........:cool:

RMX500
04-02-2004, 05:17 PM
I already adjusted my shifter.. (heated it up and bent it down a small bit).

My tires have no problem hooking up. I don't know if they came with Razr's every year.. but they do this year and they hook up AWESOME for me.

QuadJunkies
04-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by RMX500
I already adjusted my shifter.. (heated it up and bent it down a small bit).

My tires have no problem hooking up. I don't know if they came with Razr's every year.. but they do this year and they hook up AWESOME for me. We hated the Razrs on it not good for the MX here...Glad your liken your new found love......:)

RMX500
04-02-2004, 05:24 PM
aren't Razr's and Razr2's like the best MX tires there is?

QuadJunkies
04-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by RMX500
aren't Razr's and Razr2's like the best MX tires there is? not for ALL terrain, where we are from ,our terrian doesnt do as well with these tires,Do you MX race with Razrs???:huh We ran them for the WORCS Race in Milford since it was really rockey (these Razrs we have ar e 6 ply we sold the Razrs Rightt away that come stock) and they did great on that track,but around here they suck......

TheFontMaster
04-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Get the pure polaris slip on pipe for it. My friends got that on his and it sounds great, and gives it a noticable power gain.

QuadJunkies
04-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
not for ALL terrain, where we are from ,our terrian doesnt do as well with these tires,Do you MX race with Razrs???:huh We ran them for the WORCS Race in Milford since it was really rockey (these Razrs we have ar e 6 ply we sold the Razrs Rightt away that come stock) and they did great on that track,but around here they suck......Actually, the Holeshot MX and Kenda Klaw are better for here....

RMX500
04-02-2004, 06:07 PM
the pure polaris pipe looks nice.. but I hear it's pretty quiet and only has medium power gains. I'm looking for something closer to a race pipe for use on closed circuit.

105dB all the way.

QuadJunkies
04-02-2004, 06:11 PM
The Pure Polaris is a good pipe as well,everyone has there own preference and there own air box mods they prefer I think the Vortex made a BIG difference for power curve and piston,youwont believe what a difference that makes!!!:blah:

RMX500
04-02-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm yet to find the airbox.. lol

took me long enough to find out how the seat comes off. :D

Fred55
04-02-2004, 07:00 PM
My biggest gripe about my pred was
1. The stock razrs hook up like crap....all they do is spin. The predator needs different tires badly.
and 2. The stock airbox design needs to be replaced immed. I have the Rath setup and a HMF slip on.....my setup gives AWESOME power and gives the Predator the torque that it needs stock.

QuadJunkies
04-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
My biggest gripe about my pred was
1. The stock razrs hook up like crap....all they do is spin. The predator needs different tires badly.
and 2. The stock airbox design needs to be replaced immed. I have the Rath setup and a HMF slip on.....my setup gives AWESOME power and gives the Predator the torque that it needs stock. Hey Fed~~ What tires did you end up getting??? Those tires were hidious......lol

Fred55
04-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Im still riding stock :( I used all my money on a new stem and bars, the stock ones twisted and bent. Im planning on getting either Holeshot MXRs and the Kenda Klaws. Might try some turftamers also.

QuadJunkies
04-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
Im still riding stock :( I used all my money on a new stem and bars, the stock ones twisted and bent. Im planning on getting either Holeshot MXRs and the Kenda Klaws. Might try some turftamers also. We use Tamers and love them also!!! I know, its all in time and That darn $$ Tree needs some Miracle Grow!!!:o :p lol

Braff1
04-03-2004, 08:10 AM
I race XC and use Holeshot XCR's on the rear and XC up front. The XCR's really hook up especially in the mud. My only complaints is the slide is not as predictable as I would want. I have just upgraded my suspension and I am hoping that is will make some improvements in handling.

The Power of the Predator is good. I prefer more bottom end grunt so I went to a 13T counter sprocket from a xr650l.

Pros:
Power
Handling (Pro steering sysem)(hill climbing)
Stock suspension (for being stock is good able to adjust rear easily)
I like the wide thumb throttle I just wish it was made of metal.
Stock axle is TUFF

Cons:
Weight
Width (to wide for XC in some of the local races but OK for nationals)
Air box is a good idea but not reliable

Suggestions for Polaris: get rid of vacuum carb and get a mechanicial pumper, put the predator on a diet (the rear swing arm has too many reinforcing plates and welds.

NDpredator
04-06-2004, 09:14 AM
I would go with the HMF if you're still looking for a pipe. I had the WB and the HMF is better than it was for me. It is loud too, so if you like noise this is the pipe for you. Thanks!!!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/pe7866eec8c94a99607d1a8aee663a0c0/f91dfd1b.jpg

Derrick
BSracing

RMX500
04-06-2004, 12:21 PM
yeah I'm thinking I'll buy the HMF full system withthe carbon black.

TheFontMaster
04-06-2004, 04:33 PM
If you got the money get a 5/8 inch shorter swingarm. I hear that they help hook up better.

southbeach14
04-06-2004, 04:42 PM
have you seen the dale jr. one? it looks good

NDpredator
04-06-2004, 04:44 PM
I would just buy the slip-on, and then get your header done by jet-hot. It cost me $60 to have jet-hot do my header for me and it looks awesome and also helps with performance because it keeps the quad temps down.

derrick
BSracing

RMX500
04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
i don't have the time to wait for my header to get there, have the work done, and get back. it'll be weeks possibly months. I'm in alberta right now but it'll be retarded getting it done if i'm in costa rica during the time.

even from alberta it'll take forever. the riding season is only like 3 months and I want to have the work done early.

NDpredator
04-06-2004, 04:50 PM
the turn around from jet hot is about 3 days. I shipped them my pipe on a monday, and i had it 5 days later back on my quad ready to ride. Just an easy way to save a bunch of money.

derrick
BSracing

RMX500
04-06-2004, 04:59 PM
link?

NDpredator
04-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Matt Petrauskas

800-432-3379 ext 111

Call him at that number and tell him you want to get your header for your polaris predator coated. Negotiate a price with him and he should be able to hook you up. Also tell him you got his name from predatorowners.com

check out this link to see what it looks like.

http://www.predatorowners.com/index.cfm?action=profile&userid=11

derrick
BSracing

Predator38
04-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey...thats my preddy...:eek: ........:) ........yea jet hot is well worth the money...

TroyLeePred03
04-08-2004, 05:28 PM
the pure polaris/white brothers is decent, for $180 i couldnt see why i should pass it up brand new....its one of the better out too, plus with the tunable discs i mean u can have it up over the 100db mark i run just the turn down and its gotta be in the 105db plus, i can hear it idling outside the shop when i was out front on the showroom its got a good thump to it, with the discs it has the more crisp crack sound to it and a higher pitched thump...without, its got the deep thump and a throatier tone under power....u can make it pretty damn quiet well in the 96db or less range.....neways it looks decent too, u could polish it or powdercoat it for a different look neways....here it is on mine, i was set on a sparks but for $300 i consider that a rip off.....i considered HMF a way better deal...http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p62671d012c76dd0007df5d4461472436/fa160a8f.jpg