PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Front Compression

JOEX
04-01-2004, 10:31 PM
When adjusting compression on front shocks, how many turns or parts of a turn should I make each time?

Just to make sure I do this right, I loosen the phillips head screw and turn the knob one way or the other depening on the need then tighten the screw. Is this correct? This is for PEP shocks.

Joe

SnellCRP
04-01-2004, 10:38 PM
I don't think you have to loosen the phillips head screw to adjust the compression, and just go little by little until you get it perfect.

JOEX
04-01-2004, 10:42 PM
I wasn't sure about the phillips screw.

When you say litttle by little, do you mean 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn or more? Or less?

I guess i'm asking how much of a turn will make a noticable difference.

SnellCRP
04-01-2004, 11:02 PM
First which adjusters do you have? The 8 click (big) cans or the old style. If you have the 8 click cans only one at a time. If its the old style I usually go 2-4 clicks per time until I get into the ballpark of what I want, then I adjust 1 click at a time riding the quad after every change. Only change one thing at a time. If you are doing compression, only adjust compression nothing else. If you are setting sag only adjust it and ride after each change. You will get it just take your time. It can take "forever", but just be patient and make sure when you get it dialed for the track you are on and document the settings! That way you don't have to go through this whole process every time you change track condition. Do this for every track you ride on and then once you have it all documented for sand, hardpack, loamy, dryslick, etc you can just fine tune it for the current condition of the track. That way you won't have to guess. You will be right on almost every time. ;)

JOEX
04-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks Snell:)

I belive these are the old style, they are LM's but have 1/2" shafts, I hear the newer ones have 5/8" shafts. When I turn the knob will I actually hear a 'click'?

This is my first set of aftermarket shocks, I bought them used. The are way better than stock but I think they are a wee bit too soft. I just want to try some different settings to see how I like it.

I know it's alot of trial and error but right now i'm lucky if I can ride once a week:(

SnellCRP
04-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Ok, inside the knob on the cans there is a little ball bearing and when you turn the knob you should hear a click. If you don't it dosen't mean that the adjuster isn't working it just means that either the ball or the knob is wore and it won't make that click sound. You should be able to still "feel" when you have moved the knob a click even if the audible "click" is not heard. ;)

JOEX
04-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Gotcha, thanks:)

Joe