PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start racing novice.

CrazyNate
04-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Looking to start racing in a novice class either CC or MX. Dont really matter just love to ride. I need info on what all I can get for my bike for it to be competitive for my class. All the best places to look, and for prices as well. All that I have for my bike so far is on my signature. I need nerfs, A-Arms, Shocks and any other little things you guys can think of. Any help would be awesome! Thanks for your time and diggin the website.

Nate

Raptor4439
04-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Im not the most detailed person bout ATV parts but I know a little somethin. to start mx you'll need:

Moto-x Tires (kenda klaws, holeshots, razers, ect) all of those are under 50 a tire.

you'll need some tough rims also, beadlocks are awesome but not required. some douglases .190's will be fine. they are around 25 a piece I think.

killswitch - around 30 bucks.

if you have a good bit of money -

burgard +2 a-arms, best bang for the buck, the +2's are around 500 I believe.

Elka triple rate SSD front suspension - this is where it gets pricey but front suspension is very helpful in the MX area, and throw a elka rear suspension on there too. both are around 1000-1200

nerf bars - I use DG nerfs and I haven't had any fault with them yet but I heard that they aren't very reliable, so i'd go with AC racing nerfs and front bumper, they make quality products IMO.

big bore kit - you don't have to go big bore unless you need to, I have the 440 but the best for MX would be 416-425. the best bore kit is JE. around 250 for the piston,sleeve,circlips,pins,ect,ect.

if you get the bore kit you'll need a beefier timing chain, tougher springs, and valves. and a cam would be a nice edition also.

FCR carb would be a good choice to go with the bore kit, they work together well.

do all that and you'll have a very competitive quad on the track.

hope I helped :D

BlasterRacer26
04-01-2004, 05:42 PM
douglas .190's are around $40 a piece not $25

KY Woods Rider
04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
The main thing is to get the needed safety items first.

You need a proper helmet, goggles, and boots at the bare minimum. Any decent type of gloves that you can grip well with will work, and jeans and a long sleeve shirt will work okay too. However, gloves, pants, and jerseys made specifically for riding will work better and be more comfortable. A chest protector isn't required, but I highly recommend them. The chest protector will not only help protect you from flying rocks and sticks, it will help distribute the impact of a crash. So instead of having a footpeg or handlebar actually dig into your body, the chest protector distributes the force evenly and prevents it from digging in.

Nerfs aren't required at most races, but they can keep you from getting a broken leg. Personally, I don't like nerfs for the woods and I'll take my chances of getting a broken leg, but for MX, you're gonna need nerfs whether you like 'em or not.

You'll need a tether kill switch. Most local tracks won't even inspect your quad to see if you have one, but you need it anyway. Not only will it help prevent your quad from crashing into someone else if you fall off, it will help prevent your quad from getting damaged if you just fall off and the quad decides to keep going. Also, if you somehow end up underneath your quad, you don't want your quad lying on top of you and running at the same time.

As for the performance upgrades, a basically stock machine will work fine for your first couple races. After you've run a few races you'll have a better idea of what you need to change to make it work better for you. Also, MX and XC require different set-ups, so you'll really need to decide what type of racing you plan to do before you start buying shocks, a-arms, axles, and tires. If you just like to ride and plan to do both types of events, just remember this, you can use an XC set-up and do fairly decent on an MX track, but an MX set-up simply isn't practical for XC racing. However, many people buy parts for both types of racing and then swap them back and forth as needed. If you're not sure what you want to do, race both types of events and then decide.

CrazyNate
04-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Yea I got the basics for my bike, Helm, gloves , thor boots and riding pants. Tore my jersey last good ride in a wreck. But other then that I got the basics for me. Just need to get the bike geared. I see that out here in Cali that alot of races are either Stadium or XC. I think I will need to go with a XC set up and then if I do MX later Ill just tweak stuff a bit. If any of you know any riding clubs out here in So Cal, near Palm Springs area let me know plz. I hate riding alone (actually dont do it) and hard to find riders. Other then that thank you on the info and if anyone has any other plz let me know. Im all tires, err ears :D

CrazyNate

LT250Racer609
04-02-2004, 08:36 PM
go to..

denniskirk.com
motojoe.com
kandkatv.com
ronnies.com
rockymountainatv.com
burguard.com

try burguard first..they have great a arms and are rather cheap..only 450$$

barry rhames
04-03-2004, 11:37 PM
i have a 400 and race xc i like xc its more beginer freindly there is alot of set up ypu cando to your stock shocks mainly the back but a set of works on the front makes all the differance . if your looking for somewher to start adjusting let me know and i can help you will be amazed at the differance i dont know that much about mx what kind of tires do you have

CrazyNate
04-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I got all stock stuff except for whats on my signature. Including tires. I have a lot of work to do bafore I can start. Let me know what I should do 1st. I think nerf bars are cheapest and most handy for 1st buy, no?

Nate

Raptor4439
04-04-2004, 03:14 PM
i'd say

1st. Nerf Bars

2nd Handlebars

3rd front bumper.

Bretmd94
04-04-2004, 06:09 PM
im starting to get ready to race mx, Ive been working of getting stuff also.

Stuff I have so far:

all the gear i need; the chest protector, boots, nice helmet etc are all very nice to have when learning mx. You will tend to case a lot of jumps. I used to anyways, and gear really helps.

Some MXR holeshots on 8x8 bead locks. It was an expensive investment, but worth it. Lowered the ride height with the 18" tires, and with all the nasty casings i do the tires will stay on the rims.

Exhaust, I jsut needed to beat my freinds raptor in a drag. :blah:

Stuff im planning on getting soon:

Nerf Bars, Probably AC, or maybe even arens. I have some Arens on my old 400ex that are very nice. Dont fit my 450r though.

Kill switch

+2, maybe +3 a arms and some zps shocks of some sort.

nice wide axle

front tires (probably grooved radials because i will use them for super moto also) and some .19 rims

rear shock, and maybe a linkage when they come out with one.

Thats my list anyways. If you plan to race XC you might want to stay stock width. We just opened a supermoto track here and they are going to have a quad class. So i need to get some tires for that as well as a lowering kit also maybe.

ReconRider25
04-04-2004, 07:25 PM
best thing to do to start racing is nerf bars and a kill switch and if ur doing xc maybe handguards too. thats all you need really, then after you can ride to the stock 400's FULL POTENTIAL, which is alot faster then people think, thats when youll know what needs to be upgraded.;)