PDA

View Full Version : bad to not use clutch on 300ex?

Towlieee
04-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Is it bad to not use the clutch on a 300ex?

Like shifting without it, at the right rpm so its perfectly smooth (smoother then using the clutch)
I know its fine on cars, but is it alright on a atv?

We constantly dont use my friends clutch.. Especially when Im in a wheelie, or dipping through my trails at full speed..

We have noticed we think his clutch is getting weaker.. When we start it with it in gear but the clutch in, it pulls forward a lil, and when we pull the reverse lever up it goes back a lil

blasterkiller14
04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Uhh I wouldnt reccomend doin that but i dont know if it'll mess up the clutch, I say learn how to ride and acctually shift, if not buy a automatic.

dirtmomma
04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Naw it's not that bad, jut use it when your taking off for sure hehe ;) I use mine rarely when I'm racing, on the trails i will use it more but if i'm gettin on it heck w/ the clutch!! Replaced mine oh I'd say last summer & she's still goin strong w/ lots of hard racing & shifting on it!! As for the going back wehn you put it in reverse is the quad warmed up all the way?? Mine does it a littel when it's cold but not when it gets warmed up.

Towlieee
04-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by blasterkiller14
Uhh I wouldnt reccomend doin that but i dont know if it'll mess up the clutch, I say learn how to ride and acctually shift, if not buy a automatic.

if you knew anything about riding and actually shifting you'd know it helps to not use the clutch at times

yea I think reverse only does it when its cold.. I usually only use the reverse when im thinking about it as I back up outa the garage, right after I fire it up

miken
04-01-2004, 02:29 PM
I asked the same question both here and over at ThumperTalk. The general opinion I received is as long as your not forcing it to shift (use correct RPM to sync the clutch/motor) then no damage.
Mike -

ThumperTalk Link (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB12&Number=1001685&Forum=UBB12&Words=shifting&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=993445&Search=true#Post1001685)

HondaChris
04-01-2004, 08:52 PM
I was told by more than one dealer, that as long as you chop the throttle when you shift, taking the load off the transmission, not using the clutch lever will not hurt anything. Downshifting however, they informed me that it would be a good idea to use it all the time!!

Towlieee
04-02-2004, 06:21 AM
I was just figuring as long as its smooth it shoulden't matter..

I was actually guessing that if its a smooth transfer between gears, using the clutch would hurt more.. Since it has to engauge and disengauge which us usually alot more rough then just shifting