PDA

View Full Version : how much oil and what brand of yamalube

Kennethyfz450
04-01-2004, 01:06 PM
how much oil?

could someone give me directions on how to change oil on this bike i never did get my truck back last night and my dang manual is still in it..

anyhow could someone tell me how much oil and where to put it..

i think i read somewhere in bluetraxx 1 qt in motor 1 qt. in oil tank and get the oil filter a little oiling

anyhow i done ran about 3 tanks and just now starting to get on it .. and i was wondering when is the best time to change oil.. i been on it a few times after the 1st tank but not as much as this tank i been letting her rev .. the oil is still clean and everything seems to be d oing fine..

also i have regular yami lube but my friend tried to encourage me tao run 4r yamalube whats the difference and ewhich one should i put in my bike...

like i said i just have the regular yamilube and a kn airfilter.

TDBRPH
04-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Dont you have a manual?

Kennethyfz450
04-01-2004, 06:51 PM
no sorry i know this seems like a stupid question but i was really wanting to change my oil tonight i guess i will have to wait till tomorrow till i get some information.. i thought it was in my truck but i have my truck back and i can not find it .. i miss placed it.. it could be over my friends house i was reading something about how to take the plastic off to get to the spark plug .. lol i can remember that but dont remember about the oil situation ..

5valves
04-01-2004, 07:59 PM
with filter change. 1.85 L in tank and .20 L in crankcase.

Kennethyfz450
04-01-2004, 09:39 PM
1 quart in the oil tank...

2nd quart add 85% of the oil in the oil tank and the rest in the engine .. ????

am i right ?

also is regular yamalube ok ?

5valves
04-01-2004, 10:56 PM
on 3-23 of manual it says with oil filter change 1.64 quarts in tank and .26 quarts in crankcase.
on 3-20 it says Yamalube 4 20w-50 for 40f to 120f and yamalube 4 10w30 for 10f to 100f
I used that for break in than switched to Mobil one red cap 15-50
hope that helps

Kennethyfz450
04-04-2004, 08:40 PM
thanks 5 vavles ...

that was simple should have done it sooner i got to it today.. i rode it 3 more times.. the oil still looked clean.

anyhow i dont like the way you have to take off you skid plate to change to oil.. seems like a big hassle if you know what i mean ..

i just used the regular old yammie 4 10w30

TDBRPH
04-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Kenneth sorry to come off sounding like a prick, guess I should have figured if you could use a manual you would have. Cure that oil changing problem by picking up a PRM Belly skid ;)

Keep the rubber side down........

Triston

pete-yfz
04-04-2004, 08:49 PM
yea if i was u i would just by after market skid plates because u dont have to take the skid plate off. its alot easier

Kennethyfz450
04-04-2004, 09:04 PM
TDBRPH dont worry about it.. i should have included that with my orginal post.

but if you want to help out.... you can give me your view on the warranty, and the gearing on my other threads:D

mjtwvc
05-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by TDBRPH
Kenneth sorry to come off sounding like a prick, guess I should have figured if you could use a manual you would have. Cure that oil changing problem by picking up a PRM Belly skid ;)

Keep the rubber side down........

Triston

HEY TRISTON MY BROTHER WANTED ME TO ASK YOU A QUESTION
ABOUT HIS YFZ THE DEALER TOLD HIM TO CHANGE HIS OIL AT
5 TANKS OR 30 HRS WHICH SEEMED A LITTLE HIGH AND WHICH OIL IS THE BEST FOR IT 15W/50 MOBILE 1 RED CAP IS WHAT HE IS THINKING. I CANT REALLY RECOMMEND ANY THING SCINCE I AM A 450R RIDER AND I HAVE A SPLIT CASE :D

THANX FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANY ONE KNOWLEGABLE

PLEASE NO BURNS OR CRAP ON THE 450R THERE BOTH NICE BIKES:grr:

5valves
05-06-2004, 06:22 PM
What brand of Oil is kind of a personal preference.
From what I have read, you dont want to use synthetic until engine is broke in.
I use Mobil 1 in everything i own, and Wally world has it for 20 bucks for a 5 quart jug.
As far as how often, I tend to go over board at times. It depends how I am riding. I always change it after a weekend in the dunes or a 2 hour hare scrambles.
Usually the 5 tank rule wouldnt be bad but thats more like 10 hours than 30 for me.
I have never drained dirty oil from it though.
Hiflow makes a filter thats about 3 bucks, and 2 quarts of oil costs around 8 bucks.
I have about 12k in my YFZ so 11 bucks every couple weeks is a drop in the bucket.
Hope that helps

mjtwvc
05-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 5valves
What brand of Oil is kind of a personal preference.
From what I have read, you dont want to use synthetic until engine is broke in.
I use Mobil 1 in everything i own, and Wally world has it for 20 bucks for a 5 quart jug.
As far as how often, I tend to go over board at times. It depends how I am riding. I always change it after a weekend in the dunes or a 2 hour hare scrambles.
Usually the 5 tank rule wouldnt be bad but thats more like 10 hours than 30 for me.
I have never drained dirty oil from it though.
Hiflow makes a filter thats about 3 bucks, and 2 quarts of oil costs around 8 bucks.
I have about 12k in my YFZ so 11 bucks every couple weeks is a drop in the bucket.
Hope that helps

THANX 5VALVE:macho (ANY OTHER OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED:D )

SRH
05-09-2004, 09:26 PM
i run bel ray thumper oil, designed for modern 4 stroke race motors its semi synthetic, im using yama lube 20-40 for the first 2 changes then once motor is broken in im switching to the bel ray i ran in my 400ex, i change it before every race, so figure every week i change it, every 2 week i change the filter

Kennethyfz450
05-10-2004, 07:59 AM
i am just going to run yamalube 10w30 ..

i have changed it a total of fourtimes.. and it would get really expensive for me to change it useing the good stuff i would have no money for gas.

my oil hasnt been dirty yet.. but i change it anyway after a hard day or two riding.. it doesnt hurt to be safe...:D

i was 86% certain i was going to switch to amsoil.. but i didn't..

i guess i might be rebuilding mine a month sooner than all of you will be using amsoil.. :cool:

the only thing i hate about my whole bike it takes forever for the airfilter to dry.. the whole thing could be dry but if you give the white part a little squeeze about 5 gallons of water pops out.. lol

so far i am not having any troubles with my bike.