PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie factor, seat of pants factor

Knips178
04-01-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to expect when my motor is done. I'm getting a 12.5:1 high comp 440kit installed, curtis sparks full exhaust, fcr 39mm carb, hotcam stage2 and K&N with no air box lid. 14/38 gears and stock swingarm
I'm wondering what gear I can take it up to and still throttle it up into a wheelie? 3rd, 4th or 5th?

What setup do you have and what gear can you wheelie in?

Towlieee
04-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I have no clue.. I hear people talking saying they just got more mods and can now do wheelies in 4th..

My friend has a almost stock 300ex, fmf pipe, k&n filter, no air lid, only mods..

I can do wheelies like mad in 4th on pavment or grass.. Ride them all the way across my moms yard.. Can also bring them up in 5th but gotta hit it at the right rpm to hold them up..

been riding about 1 month 2 weeks also.. Just learned how to do a decent wheelie about a week ago

hondarider2006
04-01-2004, 02:41 PM
with the mods in my sig. I can do wheelies in 4th, and shift into 5th. I rode on 1.1 miles the other day on a pavment road, cought it on video also:)

the yazer
04-01-2004, 03:08 PM
my 400ex is pretty much stock and i can pull up a wheelie in 5th gear and ride it no problem........ so i hope you will be able to do that with the 440 kit

rmjackson250
04-01-2004, 03:18 PM
You will be able to pull it up in any gear you want. My 400ex is completely stock, If I pull back, and bounce the front end it will stand right up in fifth. I extended my subframe 6". All I ever do is wheelies. This made me feal a little more confident that it won't come over.

hondafreestyler
04-01-2004, 03:57 PM
lol ... you wont go over ethier way ... if you dont just scrap the bar and hold on ... pull the clutch and hit the rear brake ... ull' go back down

but yah bro ull' be able to stand it up in any gear

rmjackson250
04-01-2004, 04:19 PM
I usally do my wheelies standing on the seat or grab bar, sitting on the tank or something like that. cant get to the rear brake. Shes been flipped backwards a few times even with the long grab bar. Have you figured out any way to bring it down when you cant get to the brake.

SmokinEX
04-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by rmjackson250
You will be able to pull it up in any gear you want. My 400ex is completely stock, If I pull back, and bounce the front end it will stand right up in fifth. I extended my subframe 6". All I ever do is wheelies. This made me feal a little more confident that it won't come over.

Agreed, i find it eaiser to pull up in 5th if i'm standing up then just balance it out and go.

rmjackson250
04-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Have you figured out the stoppy or endo wheelie on your 400ex? Mine wont do it but my friends will do it every time.

atvracr350
04-01-2004, 06:06 PM
all it takes to wheelie in 5th is to start in second and shift througth the gears like i do.

nastynotchback1
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by atvracr350
all it takes to wheelie in 5th is to start in second and shift througth the gears like i do.

thats the same thing i was thinking.i just start in 1st gear and start changing gears all the way to 5th and then just ride.

DangerousDean
04-01-2004, 07:58 PM
my friend can do 5th gear wheelies on his 400ex, he has a white bros pipe, k&n filter, 3 2 1/2" holes in his lid, and jets... he goes in 5th and jsut pulls up and pins it.. and he can ride it forever..

I can only do 3rd gear wheelies... but i have only ridden on dirt for about a week :) but im getting better

rmjackson250
04-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Third gear wheelies in only a week is awsome. You will get more confident real quick and be pulling it up in all the gears.

hondafreestyler
04-01-2004, 08:21 PM
to your question about brining it down when u can't reach the brake ... just let off the gas all the way and push your weight forward .... its like a 50/50 thing tho ... sometimes it will go ... sometimes it wont ...

As far as stoppies go ... just go like top of 2nd to start with ... pull the clutch and grab a HAND full of front brake and lean forward ... a good way to learn is sitting on the tank with ur feet over the bars ...

also ... if you go like mid-top of second ... hit the FRONT & REAR brake withOUT pulling the clutch in ... and let go of the rear it will throw the front end up due to the rear wheels trying to spin when u release the rear brake ... just becareful ... it'll toss you over real easy

it all takes seat time

rmjackson250
04-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I dont think my front brakes are right. The quads a 03 even when I grab the brake hard on dirt they still just role to a stop. The lever reals good but Im thinking of getting steel brake lines. What do you thinf?

DangerousDean
04-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by rmjackson250
Third gear wheelies in only a week is awsome. You will get more confident real quick and be pulling it up in all the gears.

yeah, i have owned the quad for more then a week :o but i bought it when there was snow on the ground... so i never really had much time to learn wheelies, but yeah now that the snow is melting, im getting more wheelie practice time.

and about your brakes not grabbing:
How long have u had your quad? when you got it did you wear the brakes in ? your pads might be glazed.
It happens on my bikes disks when i get new pads, if you dont wear them in propperly

rmjackson250
04-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Ive had mine since April 2003. When it was still new. I dont know if broke them in right or not. Its funning what you said about the snow. When I went to pick it up the day I bought it, It had been in the 70s for a month. On the ride home the sky got dark and we had a nother month of winter. Talk about a downer. I still had to ride it that nite. How can you resist when you have a brand new quad calling you from the garage.

Knips178
04-02-2004, 09:06 AM
When my quad was stock I could throttle it up in second gear, but no higher than that. With a white brothers eseries slipon and jetting I could lift it in 3rd with just throttle. I don't get how some of you are THROTTLING into a wheelie with a stock 400ex in 4th gear??? I know I can lift it in 1st or 2nd then wheelie through all the gears, or do a stand up wheelie in 4th or 5th, but what i'm wondering is, without doing anything other than peppering the throttle, what gear should I be able to pop a wheelie?
i'm guessing fifth, but I was hoping someone with a similar setup could let me know what gear they are popping up in.

Even better, what quads are you beating in drags with that setup? and i don't mean all out drag quads, i mean your common mx or xc setup quad that has some performance upgrades.

rmjackson250
04-02-2004, 10:01 AM
I think you should able to bring it up in all the gears. The higher the gear the more you have to work to get it up. The way I do it is whether it is 4th or 5th. Get moving at about half throttle, let off the gas a little, then rip up hard on the bars and give it all the throttle its got. its more of a bounce and throttle combo with mine. The throttle alone will not bring it up.