PDA

View Full Version : questions about 440kit

Adam496
03-11-2002, 06:28 PM
i am about to get a 400 ex and i am currently looking at 440 kits
i am wondering how much it would cost to bore out the top half ?have to do any bottom end work, also does the clutch have to be changed in some way?

400exJOE
03-11-2002, 07:19 PM
it would probably cost you about $50 to get the jug bored out. There is no mods necessary to the bottom end or clutch. I am so far pretty happy with my 440 kit. But if I did it again, I would buy a 416 (.080 over) and an xr400 cam. More reliable and = or more power. Also, with the 440, stay under 11.0-1 compression or it will be too much for the stock rod and you can no longer run it on pump gas. Go for the 416 and cam. Its only $300 for all the parts.

patrick delao
03-12-2002, 07:17 AM
When you do a big bore kit you have to replace the liner with a big bore liner. which means they pull the stock liner, bore the jug and press in a larger liner for the big bore piston. Cost is around $200 depending on shop. The 416 is a waste of time get the 440 for the REAL power. I did not have to replace the clutch on my 440 it is still stock. :)

Adam496
03-12-2002, 04:01 PM
ok i got my anwsers but does any 1 know where i can get this done? im located in northern nj or do i have to mail it ?if i have to mail it how much would it cost to mail it

fooracer
03-12-2002, 06:16 PM
So which is really better the 416,440, or should you go all out and get a 465 or 505. If you had no limit on price and time. If you did what would it be then 416 or 440. Sorry if im confusing you.:huh
Brad

DiceMan400
03-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Aint much difference between the 416 and 440........ With the 440 you got alittle more low end grunt....... The 416 revs higher and can push out more top end than the 440...... I just go a new head and am putting the 416 kit in....... I like it much better than my 440....... It is more reliable and is a much cooler ride....... When you do a 440 kit you MUST change your cam. change your valve spings, port and polish, maybe change your carb.....You wont need to harden your rockers if you get a drop-in cam....... Oh and dont forget a new full exaust....... With out the mods listed above your 440 will be nothing more than just slightly faster than stock....... My buddys 416 kit was done very well and my 440 was done well also...... He has no problem keepin up with me....... I just have the smallest edge over him...... You will be looking at atleast 1600 bucks for it to be done correctly....... Go with the 416....... Its cheaper and more reliable and you will smoke Raptors.......:D

mrusk
03-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Where in N jersey are you? In oakland, Bergen county there is DR Bobs cycle shop. He does good work i hear. I think he is closed for the whole month of march tho.

matt

Matt Fisher
03-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Sorry dude, but a properly cammed 440 will wax a 416/XR cam in a drag race, assuming the CR is also the same. You can certainly get good drop-in cams for the 440 (or 416), the Web 450/451 (aka GT Thunder or W Bros Track) cam come to mind.

Just looking at the cam specs of the XR cam tells you that top end will not be it's strong point. Not to say that it's a bad cam, but let the numbers do the talking. After all, why does Honda offer the HRC cam (just a smidge smaller than the above mentioned Web cam)? Because the XR cam is mild, that's why.

You are correct that a 440 without the proper cam and better exhaust will not be a huge gain over stock, but do expect large gains when it's done properly. Carb is optional, so is porting (just like a 416).

Nothing against the 416/XR cam combo, but being realistic, it's a great inexpensive play combo, not a huge power combo. I really don't think that an 11:1 416 with a XR cam and no other mods will be "smoking" Raptors, unless the Raptor rider has been smoking something himself...

Adam496
03-12-2002, 07:11 PM
im really confused.
every 1 is saying the the 416kit is better than the 440 kit how can that be? im going to be racing mx w/the 400 and i need acceleration at the tracks i race at most of the ppl are using 440 kits. can i have suggestions witch is better

patrick delao
03-13-2002, 10:42 AM
Perfect post Matt , somebody would have to prove to me that a 416 could rev better or get better top end because of the extra power you can run taller gearing and get more top end.

03-13-2002, 11:12 AM
I thinkt the 416 kit will work perfect on the MX track,,It's what I chose to go with and I race MX. If money's not an issue get the full blown 440 racer package, I'm sure it delivers tons of power, but if you want more power for a fraction of the cost,,get the 416 kit w/XRcam,,you'll be hanging with every kind of quad on the track,,garaunteed. That's if your a good rider..:D NO matter what kit you go with the power delivery will be soooo much better,,for baja, duning, or wide open racing/playing,,,the 440 would be my choice hands down,,but rippen around a MX track and maybe getting to 4th gear if your lucky and very seldom getting to the topend of 4th,,,I think the 416 kit is the ticket.

oynot400
03-13-2002, 12:55 PM
I got the 440 with the WB track cam in mine and I really like it. I have ran some mx but when I built mine, the engine builder asked what I was going to do with it. i told him I wanted to mainly flat track it. So that is why I went the way I did. The only thing I would do different is put the 11:1 piston in. After doing some research I fould out the mine is closer to a 10:1. Granted this was a big improvement over stock and when I added the FCR carb and Powerbomb head pipe I saw more power gains.
This was not a cheap investment! Just the motor work was about $800. Then I have the exhaust and carb on top of that. Now that is in the $1500 range.
So in my opion if money is an issue get the 416 and xr cam. If not you will be happy with the 440. Don't let anyone scary you about the 440 reliablity. Mine has been in for over a year with out one problem. Just be sure to change the oil a little more often because the 440 will run warmer.
Hope this helps...

03-13-2002, 06:49 PM
I think you should without a doubt go with the 416. :confused:

After spending all the usuall $$$'s on intake and exh mods, I am sure the addittional $$$'s for the extra 19cc's will save you some bucks.

And hey someone has to follow the 440's:D

But seriously how could any of you believe that the same engine with identical mods (Compression ratio, cams etc performed correctly on both a 416cc and 440cc) not have more torque and HP with a larger displacement.

It only makes sense that the more volume of air and gas an engine can pump the more power it will produce. This is of course considering that (like in the 416 v/s 440 ex above) the engines are using the same stroke and a similar piston weight.

But I think everyone (except Me) should get the 416:devil

DiceMan400
03-13-2002, 07:21 PM
Who cares about drag racing?...... And I will through money down that a 416 done correctly will infact beat a rapor providing the riders are on the same skill level...... I have riden both the 416 and my 440....... I am talking from experiance not out of my behind....... The 440 is not all its cracked up to be....... It is a totally different bike than stock but not that much better over a 416....... I have not had any trouble with my 440 but it has not been in long enough to know yet...... It runs alot hotter than the 416, that much i do know for sure....... Its just my opinion and a few others that agree the 416 is nothing to sneeze at...... And also in my opinion the 416 runs better and will be more reliable...... And if you do blow up your 416 you can still go to a 425 or a 440........ If you blow up your 440....Time to buy a new head....... If I would have known then what I know now I would have done the 416 instead...... Every one has good points on this topic and everyones opinion should count and be taken into consideration....... Even the ones that are oposite of mine:D ...Later peoples

DiceMan400
03-13-2002, 07:28 PM
I was just kidding about the drag racing part...... I forgot to put the JK after...

Matt Fisher
03-13-2002, 08:00 PM
No doubt that a 416 is a cheap and easy way to really increase power over the slightly anemic stock motor. A 440 just increases it that much more.

440EX4me is correct, a larger motor always makes more power, this is assuming the supporting staff (carb, head flow, cam, exhaust, etc) is capable of supporting the extra power.

Diceman- if you sieze a 440 (89mm), there are larger sizes available. Heck, JE makes pistons all the way up to 92mm. And the head shouldn't be affected, just the cylinder. If you really grenade a 416 (or whatever), you may well affect the cylinder wall enough that a new sleeve is needed anyway.

DiceMan400
03-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Thats a good point....... And I must say that I have never seen a head blow to the point that it needs to be replaced with my own eyes but I have heared stories....... I am not an engine builder so I have not had any real hands on experiance....... Just some minor stuff here and there...... You know, the basic stuff...... I am just stating what I have experianced for myself and that is all I can offer........ I guess everyone has their own experiances and opinions out here....... Thats what makes it so interesting...... Thats why I come out here atleast once a night..... Later.....