PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to put a cam in?

JDiablo
03-31-2004, 07:00 PM
just wondering on how hard it is to put a cam in a 300ex motor....i've never done anything to a motor before but i looked in my manual and i seen a pic of it and all it was is like you drop it in and set it up with the cam chain.Is it that difficult> or what does someone have pictures that can help me out,thank you

JDiablo
03-31-2004, 07:26 PM
bump c'mon someone gotta know:(

beak7707
03-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey man you know I have your 300 info covered. I don't know how well you know how to work on motors, but if you know a little you can put in a cam.
All you have to do is, remove gas tank, remove oil line, take off head cover, remove cam tensioner, take cam spocket off cam. Then you put the new cam in, and make sure the timing marks are lined up right. Lube up the lobes, and put it all back together. I'd say you could get it done in a couple hours easy.

cals400ex
03-31-2004, 07:38 PM
while your at it, put in the timing chain. you will need to remove the right side of the case. you will then remove the clutch and clutch basket. with that out, you should be able to get to the timing chain. you will drop the new timing chain down the hole in the head to get to the bottom sprocket when you have the cam out.

cals400ex
03-31-2004, 07:39 PM
sorry, ignore what i said, i thought you said you were dropping in a new timing chain too.

JDiablo
03-31-2004, 07:39 PM
well i took my whole quad apart threw it back toghter so can that give you a indication if i can do it or not?lol and how difficult is it to line the timing marks up right?

beak7707
03-31-2004, 08:07 PM
hey man i wasnt disin you, I just dont want to steer anybody in the wrong direction. I might go ahead and put a new timing chain it, 300ex are kinda bad about jumping time. So why you have it tore down you might want to put a new one in. You can get a DID for 46 bucks on ebay.
The timing is easy, but you want to be sure you do it right. Take the little plug out of the mag cover and line up the T on the flywheel with the line in the cover. Then put the lobes of the cam facing down towards the head. There are 3 lines on the cam sprocket. Line the 2 up with the top of the head and the third one points striaght up. It will show pics in the book you have of the marks.

beak7707
03-31-2004, 08:09 PM
I just put a new timing chain in my friends yesterday. If I would have known I would have took pics for you.

JDiablo
03-31-2004, 08:10 PM
nah man i didnt take it as you were dissing me...the only motor expierence i ever had was taking a old lawnmower engine apart and just throwing it out because there were to many piece laying around...lol seem easy enough...i might give it a shot sometime soon idk yet

JDiablo
03-31-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
I just put a new timing chain in my friends yesterday. If I would have known I would have took pics for you.

lol figures always a day late...lol o well maybe next time

beak7707
03-31-2004, 08:12 PM
it's a pretty cheap mod, for decent power. I have a Web cam in mine and after the core exchange it was only like 80 bucks.

JDiablo
03-31-2004, 08:16 PM
where is the biggest power incresment you felt in bottom end or wat...like i've said before im mostly looking for bottom to mid range end power...wouldnt mind some top end to lol