PDA

View Full Version : Taking top end off engine

spurgin
03-31-2004, 05:42 PM
I've got a 400ex and wanting to send it off to get a 416. They told me that if I took off the top end of the engine that labor would be cheaper and shipping would be too. How hard is it to do this? thank you

hondafox440
03-31-2004, 05:47 PM
Very simple. It's only about a 45 minute job. Getting the top end back on is a little tricker though.

To take the top end off, remove the front fenders and gas tank. Remove the head cover, making sure to mark where all of the bolts go (there are 4 different sizes). Then, loosen the cam tensioner on the side of the cylinder and remove the cam. Then just unbolt the 4 head bolts and slide the head off. Unbolt the 4 cylinder stud nuts and with a little force the cylinder will slide up and off.

A service manual covers this in greater depth.

beak7707
03-31-2004, 06:12 PM
exactly like he said, its really not that hard. You'll have to remove your head pipe and anything else going to the head.

03-31-2004, 09:45 PM
I bought one of those 5 dollar service manuels on ebay. It has paid for itself over and over. I highly recommend getting one as it goes into every detail of removing and replacing the head.

foleyit
03-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Also, if the head is a little stubborn to come up, it made need some encouraging. Try and just tap it with a rubber mallet first on all four edges this will help loosen the gasket.

hondafox440
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by foleyit
Also, if the head is a little stubborn to come up, it made need some encouraging. Try and just tap it with a rubber mallet first on all four edges this will help loosen the gasket.

Yep. DO NOT pry it (or the jug for that matter) off with a screwdriver or pry bar. You will wreck it..

Hondaluva
04-02-2004, 08:04 AM
I just did a top end rebuild for the first time. With the help of a Clymer manual and an extra set of hands, it was very easy. Just make sure to keep track of all your botls and make a template for the head cover bolts. Getting it back together was also easy. If you can read and follow directions you should be fine. Just make sure to take great care when lining up the timing chain on the cam sprocket. And make sure that your cam is not 180 out when you put it back in. Good luck.