PDA

View Full Version : first assesment of the TRX450R

Pappy
03-31-2004, 05:34 PM
well, i finally have been able to get enough time on it to give some opinions.

I will admit at first I didnt think me and the kickstart would get along, but so far it has started very easy. I would still like electric start but I need more seat time on it before id say you wont miss the magic E button.

The first time I rode mine, i couldnt believe how smooth it was in regards to its power delivery. I bet I stalled my YFZ 5 times before I got the clutch down, but not the TRX450. My wife can take off with it and never miss a beat.

All the layout and ergonomics are typical honda and feel alot like a 400ex with a slightly noticeable taller seat hieght. The seat is comfortable and peg position is pretty good....alot better then the 400ex IMO.

the exhaust sounds is acceptable and more like a street bike then a quad. when you hit the go fast button she will talk to ya!

Handling was my biggest disappointment with this quad. to be honest it felt alot like a raptor when i took my first true trail ride( not power just the tippy feeling) I was so disappointed that i hardly rode hard in any corners or on bad offcambers. now i figured it may just be me, after all im kinda spoiled on a ssd suspension so i stuck with it and truthfully, it still didnt feel good at all.

I had the chance to pick the brains of a few top pro's and all agreed that I needed to make some changes. 1st off was pre load, i backed it almost all the way off. i then adjusted the compression and rebound to what i figured would be close to the settings of my elka's. i did notice that the settings from honda were almost all set at the high end. this could have been the problem i figured. stock ride hieght was 11 3/4 front and 11 3/4 rear. thats alot of clearance for rocks but seemed high to me. after making the shock adjustments im at just under 11 front and rear and with me on it, im coming in at 9 3/4. im sure i have another 1/4 inch i can get her down but thats pretty close for me.

what can i say.....it was ahuge difference. the quad didnt have the illfated tippy feeling at all! it was getting dark so i didnt do any serious riding, but the offcambers i did hit put a smile on my face.

now, another problem is the nose wanting to climb in the air. it started raining so i couldnt see if the shock adjustments may have helped a little. I think a +1 1/4 swing arm will be needed but further evaluation will make that determination.

+1 a arms and good shocks are going to make this thing handle like it should...but they will have to wait:p

overall im happy with it

03-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Pipe the mofo and get back to us...:muscle:

Pappy
03-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Pipe the mofo and get back to us...:muscle:

you buying:devil:

03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
you buying:devil:

I"ll steal Rowlrags Full GT thunder exhaust and let ya borrow it..:D

:devil:

macsolocam
03-31-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey Pappy, I wish you could ride my R. I don't think you would want to give it up for awhile:D

I wish I could ride a built yfz with the cam mod myself:blah:

Bill Fuller
03-31-2004, 06:01 PM
Keep me updated Pappy.I am torn between the TRX and the YFZ.Right now the only draw back in my book is the button.Iv'e got the cash all I need to do is decide.I plan on selling the Dale when I get whatever and pimpin out what ever I choose.I am a red man but it's that damn button that keeps popping up in my mind.....................I swore off kick starts when I got rid of the 250x stroker.I need an honest opinion,I'll shoot a PM to Rowlrag and see what his thoughts are also.

jmoney45
03-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Pappy,
I think I'm gonna try this too. I've been reading that quite a few are doing this and it appears to make a huge difference. What did you do to the compression and rebound?

Hammer trx450r
03-31-2004, 06:27 PM
Pappy, Make sure you turn compression up alot. After i did mine it spit me off twice in a slide and once in a dive under brakes. Let me know where you have your shock settings at when you figure it out

Pappy
03-31-2004, 07:23 PM
starting even when hot has been easy. now i havent stalled this sucker on a muddy hillside with 30 riders trying to use me as traction but it does start easy. the button is a huge selling point no matter how much someone sez its not. i am in love with my yfz......i cant say much bad about at all.

all my settings are not set in stone as i need to hit a track. i think im 1 1/2 turns out on rebound and about 3 turns out on compression

rowlrag
03-31-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I"ll steal Rowlrags Full GT thunder exhaust and let ya borrow it..:D

:devil: :cuss:

rowlrag
03-31-2004, 10:12 PM
Elka SSD with there linkage for the rear will solve front end lightness. If Jeff would take some pics, the GTthunder pipe is sweeeet!!:D

rowlrag
03-31-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Keep me updated Pappy.I am torn between the TRX and the YFZ.Right now the only draw back in my book is the button.Iv'e got the cash all I need to do is decide.I plan on selling the Dale when I get whatever and pimpin out what ever I choose.I am a red man but it's that damn button that keeps popping up in my mind.....................I swore off kick starts when I got rid of the 250x stroker.I need an honest opinion,I'll shoot a PM to Rowlrag and see what his thoughts are also.
SHOOT

ranger400ex
04-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Post some pics Jeffy, John never builds any POS's that's for sure!!

Pappy
04-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Elka SSD with there linkage for the rear will solve front end lightness.

already ordered:eek: martin saw that I bought the trx and started making them:cool:

redroost85
04-01-2004, 07:14 AM
:rolleyes: Dayum Pappy...you got more pull than a set of Amish horses!:muscle:

WOracing19
04-01-2004, 10:09 AM
:D i just have a big smile on my face....

quadrcr161
04-01-2004, 10:14 AM
wish i could afford a set of Elkas, i talked to them yesterday and they have a set up where i can run the same shocks for tt and mx. would jst have to change springs. i hate being broke.

twisted threads
04-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
:rolleyes: Dayum Pappy...you got more pull than a set of Amish horses!:muscle:
LOL! isn't that the truth.:D

kazpr
04-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Pappy please update on that setup when you get it. You getting me excited :devil:

MIA450R
04-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Pappy-
What do you weigh?

I weigh about 160 and just tried some of the changes you mention. I backed the preload just about all the way off on all 3 shocks, and increased the compression a lot, and the rebound a little bit.

So I assume removing the preload causes slightly less resistance in the spring (initially) so that when you sit on the quad, it sits slightly lower to the ground....hence...less tippyness? Is this right?

However, I assume, that this results in slightly less available travel, and thus you need to increase the compression to make up for this?

Why increase the rebound?

Any suggestions on more precise compression/rebound settings for me based on my weight? I ride fast and hard and do big jumps infrequently.

Thanks Pappy and all.

Bretmd94
04-03-2004, 02:44 PM
I have the same sort of questions. Im completely lost on the settings on the shocks for better cornering.

So your loosening up the preload all the way? and that makes the bike lower to the ground?

I jsut got back from the track and I argee about the tippyness. My holeshots mxr's are gripping way to much for the bike. Im planning on getting +2's, maybe +3's and a nice wide axel. But untill i hit the lottery the stock suspension must do.

Oh yeah, i also am about 160lbs.

Hammer trx450r
04-03-2004, 02:51 PM
yes loosen preload nuts all the way. this will make spring real soft so turn up the compression to counter that.

Pappy
04-03-2004, 02:52 PM
yep, back the preload all the way off. i also set my rebound and compression almost all the way down also (i believe its towars the S setting i dont remeber)

these changes made a world of difference.

the compression and rebound settings will vary from rider to rider, but almost every pro ive riden with or talked with has repeated the above advice.

MIA450R
04-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Hmm
Now I'm more confused.....

Turn the Rebound and Compression up or down to compensate for backing the preload off? I would think you would turn them up...as in towards "H" or harder....

Yes / No?

Pappy
04-03-2004, 04:40 PM
i was told to turn them both down (S) and start my set up tests from there.

Pappy
04-03-2004, 06:07 PM
I took the TRX out tonight for some woods action. I can honestly say the shock adjustments made a HUGE change in not only the handling but also my overall opinion of this quad. It outhandles the YFZ in the woods IMO as I said earlier, but seems to out power it also. I dont mean arm ripping power but more like its smoother and you can stay on the gas longer. (maybe its just me:p )

Im really looking forward to the elka set up and seeing what she can do!

4fiddyR
04-03-2004, 07:18 PM
A Honda out handling a Yamaha, imagine that! I'm with you Pappy, my R is awsome in my opinion. I had to tweak it a little but I'm very pleased. I've rode both the trx and yfz and I'm much more comfortable at higher speeds in the woods and hard riding on my Honda.

Pappy
04-03-2004, 07:34 PM
well im taking her racing tomarrow so ill get to see how she does after an hour and a half of pounding.

i turned the idle up so stalling wouldnt be as easy....i hate getting rear ended:mad:

Hammer trx450r
04-03-2004, 07:40 PM
stiffer compression to make up for spring and stiffer rebound to slow down shock retraction is what i did. Hey pappy wouldnt you pay $$ for this free mod? I love it. and i think the trust in the brakes help me stay on the gas longer

twisted threads
04-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Me and my brother are going to try to mess with his shocks on his 450r to make it handle a little better. Today we went riding and I got to ride the 450r for the first time with his HRC kit and a 13 tooth sproket and all I can say is WOW! This bike is smooooooth! and quick! But for some reason the bike was wanting to buck us off when we hit some jumps. My Ex didn't do that but the 450r did so Im guessing its the shock set up... SO we will mess with it and see what happens.

JWhite
04-04-2004, 08:51 AM
I took the TRX out tonight for some woods action. I can honestly say the shock adjustments made a HUGE change in not only the handling but also my overall opinion of this quad. It outhandles the YFZ in the woods IMO as I said earlier, but seems to out power it also. I dont mean arm ripping power but more like its smoother and you can stay on the gas longer. (maybe its just me:p )

Im really looking forward to the elka set up and seeing what she can do!

Did the same thing with my bro's suspension. I rode it. OMG! Sold my YFZ like he did. Bought my R and HRC kit. Adjusted my suspension. Both of us NEVER looked back. Never missed the YFZ's one bit. We both noticed the same things you did. Plus I really like the more torqey and bottom-mid motor.

Glad to hear you are starting to see the light. :macho

Hammer trx450r
04-04-2004, 09:21 AM
doesnt it feel like you just spent a grand on mods?

sjw1176
04-04-2004, 10:35 AM
just curious how to loosen up the the two spanner nuts above the spring to lower the front end, having no luck

Hammer trx450r
04-04-2004, 11:05 AM
screw driver and a hammer to loosen locknut then grab top and spring and turn

sjw1176
04-04-2004, 11:31 AM
isnt there two lock washers, so once the top one is free the bottom one will move right up,

sjw1176
04-04-2004, 11:36 AM
also if sitting in fron of the quad what way do the lock washers break loose, for example if i am sitting in front of the quad working on the right shock what way do i have to turn the top washer to loosen it '

thanks,

Hammer trx450r
04-04-2004, 12:38 PM
lefty loosy righty tighty or counterclockwise:D

roughrider01
04-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by sjw1176
also if sitting in fron of the quad what way do the lock washers break loose, for example if i am sitting in front of the quad working on the right shock what way do i have to turn the top washer to loosen it '

thanks,

Turn the top one to the right (hit it on the right im saying), pound on that sucker its on there tight.

4fiddyR
04-04-2004, 12:42 PM
brake the top nut loose, counter clockwise, turn it all the way to the top, then have someone lift up on your front bumper to take the weight off the front end, then just take your hand and turn the shock and second nut counter clockwise to take the pre-load out, then tighten the top nut to the bottom, your done and a lot lower!!! Do this the the other front shock and the rear.

roughrider01
04-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Counter-clockwise.... lol.. thats the word(s) i was looking for. So you guys are backing them off all the way?

4fiddyR
04-04-2004, 04:25 PM
yes, never heard of counter clockwise?

roughrider01
04-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 4fiddyR
yes, never heard of counter clockwise?

yes and i hope everyone has, just didnt think about it when i was replying. :macho

sjw1176
04-05-2004, 09:33 AM
so once the nuts are all the way at the top, whats the next step adjusting the clickers either sorft or hard,
how do you guys feel this setup works

MIA450R
04-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
stiffer compression to make up for spring and stiffer rebound to slow down shock retraction is what i did. Hey pappy wouldnt you pay $$ for this free mod? I love it. and i think the trust in the brakes help me stay on the gas longer

I'm going with what Hammer trx is saying...after removing just about all the preload on the springs, turn up the compression (to make up for the reduction in spring rate) and increase the rebound to slow the retraction...

As pappy (basically) said, adjustments/tweeks will need to be made for all riders based on weight/riding style.

rollie
04-05-2004, 11:19 AM
pappy???

you got any pics of R?

thanks!:)

Pappy
04-05-2004, 11:23 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1031170

rollie
04-05-2004, 11:24 AM
WOW!:eek2:

MIA450R
04-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Pappy, do us all a favor and change your avatar/signature picture to that shot of your 'R ....

;)

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 12:36 PM
now im definatly no suspension guru, its just what worked for me. I actually changed to pappys settings and i like it alot. Now if there is alot of breakers or whoop sections i would speed up my rebound. I also brake real hard so my fronts are set to rebound faster so it doesnt dive too much

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 12:37 PM
I want to know what ya all think when you do it.

Pappy
04-05-2004, 12:38 PM
now im definatly no suspension guru, its just what worked for me. I actually changed to pappys settings and i like it alot. Now if there is alot of breakers or whoop sections i would speed up my rebound. I also brake real hard so my fronts are set to rebound faster so it doesnt dive too much

;)

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 12:40 PM
how was the race pappy? did you change the setup at all

Pappy
04-05-2004, 12:42 PM
dude....my entire family overslept...well not really we kinda forgot to set our clocks forward:mad: by the time we figured it out we wouldnt have made it in time:(

elkas showed up today :devil:

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
I dont know were your from but was real crappy were i was. did you go with LT?

kssandduner
04-05-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm going to try and set my R up like that also. I only weigh 145lbs, you think it'll work well for me too?

Joe

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 12:45 PM
it will work better the lighter you are since your loosing spring. I would probably go softer on the compression setting.

Pappy
04-05-2004, 12:48 PM
I dont know were your from but was real crappy were i was. did you go with LT?

standard travel tripple rates with the LT rear linkage. i should get them installed tonight

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Hey Pappy, I want to put my 250r front rims on the 450r but they rub the caliper. any suggestions?

Pappy
04-05-2004, 12:51 PM
i didnt realize there would be an issue when doing that....i guess the backspacing is too great:confused:

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 01:01 PM
it seems washers work but i would rather go with a flange if someone makes one

Pappy
04-05-2004, 01:06 PM
dayumm...

i wonder if the mud gaurds off a 300ex would shim it enough

sjw1176
04-05-2004, 01:17 PM
pappy what adjustments did u make on the lower dial of the shock when u brought your washers all the way up, did u go softer or harder witn the lower adjuster, also what about the upper shock adjuster
any info would be great, i weigh like 205 and dont wanna bottom out to much

Hammer trx450r
04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
dayumm...

i wonder if the mud gaurds off a 300ex would shim it enough

mud gaurds?

MIA450R
04-05-2004, 01:45 PM
The metal plates with the holes in it...that guard the brake caliper from mud and rocks.

I assume thats what he is referring to.

sjw1176
04-05-2004, 04:00 PM
what adjustments have you guys changed when you brought the preload washers all the way up to the top, i am curious how to adjust the other adjustments

Pappy
04-05-2004, 04:22 PM
all i did to start was to back the preload rings almost all the way off. there is about 1/8 inch of threads showing above the ring.

i then turned the compression and rebound all the way soft ...then back up 5 clicks on compression and 2 on rebound. this was just a starting point and if you use these numbers go slow and feel what she is doing. you can add more if needed but dont go huge till you get her close.

(if only my wife was this easy to adjust:o )