PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Sizing Help

hondafreestyler
03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
I was talking to Mike the sponser rep. at sidewinder sprockets ...

I told him what I was looking for and he recomened going up two teeth in the rear ...
see if you guys agree

I am looking to keep my top end relativly the same ... and gain bottem and acc. in 1-3rd gear ... im looking for that when u hammer that throttle it makes you hang on tight ... but wanna keep my top end the same ...

I thought I would drop to a 14front .... but he said going up two in the rear is a "finer" adj. that just dropping the front ... he also said since I only weigh 160 I would lose appox. 6-9 mph on my top if I go with a 14 front ....

so ... 39 rear? ... or 14 front? ... (with what "I" am looking for)

-Thanks

Pro400
03-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Well you cant gain accelleraton and not loose top speed. I have a 14f 38r and 20 inch razors and i love the accelleration you will lose a little top speed but not much the gains in accel are worth it and it will wheelie much bedder iwould recomend getting the 14 tooth. its only $ 20 bucks for the front so try it if you dont like it take it off.

hondafreestyler
03-31-2004, 05:51 PM
well I am running 18's ....

and I realize that you can't gain and not lose ... but I dont want to lose much ...

20$ ??? ... I am running sidewinder sprockets man ....

Pro400
03-31-2004, 05:55 PM
Oh i didnt realize you were runing sidewinder i thought you were looking in to what sprokets you were going to get from them. well anyways back to your question with 18s i would go with a 40t or 39t or it will be so low 1st and 2nd gear will be useless and you will top out so fast. sorry about the confusion.

ewalker302
03-31-2004, 07:11 PM
I believe the ratio is that 1 tooth change up front is the same as 2.5 in the rear, so if you are going up 2 in the rear you may as well save your money & go down 1 up front.

:bandit:

hondafreestyler
03-31-2004, 07:45 PM
well you see I am getting new front & rear sprocket ethier way ... along with a change ...

what I am asking if with the info I provided with what I am looking for ... if I would be better or going down 1 in front or going up 2 in the rear

saving money isn't ne thing ... I am getting all new ethier way

cals400ex
03-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302
I believe the ratio is that 1 tooth change up front is the same as 2.5 in the rear, so if you are going up 2 in the rear you may as well save your money & go down 1 up front.

:bandit:

yep, i agree. however, you will definatlely loose some top speed with 1 smaller in front or 2 in rear. if your looking for more "hold on" power, i would just put a cam and piston in it and fine tune the jetting.