PDA

View Full Version : getting spindle off lower a-arm

Greg Z
03-31-2004, 05:15 PM
hey well.. pretty much the title

my lower a-arm balljoint is stuck to my spindle and i hammerd the **** out of it:eek2:

Cole Trane
03-31-2004, 05:18 PM
If you don't have a ball joint fork, a crescent wrench works great too. Just make it wide enough to fit arounf the rubber ball joint shaft and work it. That's what I did, I also beat the crap out of it with a hammer. It came out after some persistance. It pays!!

ZSK
03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Here's a dumb question. Did you take the shock off? Don't laugh I beat on mine until I noticed the shock was still bolted on.

44oEX
03-31-2004, 06:26 PM
HaHa.

hondafreestyler
03-31-2004, 06:36 PM
at least you got the top off ...

I cant get mine off at all!!! :rolleyes:
after u get them off ... how do u get aftermarket a-arms in there?
do u have to beat them in???

whats the best way to take the a-arms out of the spindels

Tommy 17
03-31-2004, 06:56 PM
get a socket and put it between the top bolt and the bottom bolt and get a wrench and loosen the bolt so it pushes up on the spacer (socket) and pushes the spindel out... it takes like 2 mins that way with all 4 ball joints... if u need me 2 i'll get a pic to explain it...

hondafreestyler
03-31-2004, 07:06 PM
yah get some pics man ...

thanks alot ...

redrunner
03-31-2004, 07:52 PM
If you run into this, when you go to tighten the new ones they spun on me just past the lock nut material and I could not get the taper seated well enough to stop it. So I put a spacer or a socket over the end sticking through the spindle, leave enough thread to get a good bite with the nut and tighten it up to draw the taper into and seat on the spindle. That way it is lock into place so you can tighten it up the rest of the way. Well that's what I did anyway.;)

flattrack450
03-31-2004, 08:03 PM
i just mounted my denton arms. same problem. can't get the nut past the ny-loc without the whole joint rotating. any more detail on the above mentioned technique is appreciated.

flattrack450... turned xc racer

redrunner
03-31-2004, 08:22 PM
Once you put the threaded/taper part of the ball joint through the spindle/tapered hole you have to draw the tapers together like a cork in a bottle, so the bind together. That is the principal of a taper fit. Ok so you got the thread now sticking through the spindle right? You coould even use a stack of washers to build up around the threaded end, the washers need to have a large enough hole to be loose and not interfere with any part of the taper. Now be sure to leave enough thread exposed so your nut will thread on a couple of good turns but not to the nylok material. Then slowly snug up the nut and draw the ball joint taper into the hole, don't cranck it to tight just enough to seat it. Then slowly back off the nut and remove washer/spacer and bingo. Slowly tighten the nut up past the nylok. It work for me pretty good, after the first hour of trying to sqeeze them together and a friend tightening we gao the other 3 done in 10 minutes. Hope this helps. I would try to show you in pics with the old stuff but dayumn it is cold out side.:D

SnellCRP
04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
get a socket and put it between the top bolt and the bottom bolt and get a wrench and loosen the bolt so it pushes up on the spacer (socket) and pushes the spindel out... it takes like 2 mins that way with all 4 ball joints... if u need me 2 i'll get a pic to explain it...

I made a little tool that is just the right size to do that job and it works really good. No big hammers for this one. :)

Greg Z
04-01-2004, 01:32 PM
these are on my stock a-arms... The nut is off the ball joint.. And the a-arm is Off the frame... lol And It is not connected to my shock

Tommy 17
04-01-2004, 01:39 PM
put a socket between the 2 red dots... then use the bolt to push on the socket... as u loosen the bolt it will push against the socket and push the ball joint out of the spindel;)

Tommy 17
04-01-2004, 01:40 PM
the pic would help:rolleyes: :o

hondafreestyler
04-01-2004, 03:52 PM
thank you tommy ... very helpful ... I will try that tommorow after work ... if I need ne help ... ill just pm...

ok so after the stocks are off .... how do I put the aftermarket arms in? ... do you have to tap them into the bolt hole? .... or do they just push in or what?

Doibugu2
04-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Greg Z
these are on my stock a-arms... The nut is off the ball joint.. And the a-arm is Off the frame... lol And It is not connected to my shock

Believe it or not, its easier to pop the spindles off if they are on the quad.

Put the arms back on, it's not a bad idea to put the shocks back on either because it will hold the arms up higher. You don't have to tighten any off the bolts, you just using them to hold everything secure.

The crescent wrench does work or a big screwdriver, just push the boot down as much as you can and pry down, they should pop.

Do the top one first, it's easier that way.

Beating on them with a hammer won't work, you need the leverage.