PDA

View Full Version : ....bleeding Brakes....

"BLAHH"300!!
03-11-2002, 04:47 PM
it's official..i have no brakes....my rear resivoir cup was melted by my D.G. pipe and my front brakes'..well i took off the resivoir lid to polish it..and i put it back on and about wrecked again couse i didn't have any brakes....none.....uhh....tell me the best way to bleed these lines so i can get some stopage...be real descriptave couse, well, i'm an idiot remember...s p e a k s l o w l y....i read jabberjaws contribution and tried what he said...went and got the clear fish tank lines to put on my (chuk {i guess thats what you call it})...headted it up stuck it on there and ran the other end in the bottle of brake fluid...well i pumped the brake leaver and had the fluid come up the lines and in the bottle...didn't look like there was anymore bubbles coming out so i stopped screwed the things back down and put my res.lid back on....refiled the fluid and all that....but still no brakes......i did em' one at a time...right side then left side..is this where i messed up.?.....

SGA
03-11-2002, 10:41 PM
The correct way (start with the rear brakes) is attach a piece of tubing to the bleed screw on the brake assembly. Hang the tube in a cup to the bottom. Cover the end of the tube with a inch of brake fluid. Fill the reservoir. Press the brake lever and hold it. Loosen the bleeder screw. Air and brake fluid will rush out. Brake lever will go down. Keep holding the brake lever down and close the bleeder screw. Release the brakes. You will notice the reservoir level drops when you release the brake lever. Repeat this until no more air bubbles come out. It can take 8-10 times to get all the air out. MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE RESERVOIR FULL. If it runs dry and sucks air, you have to start over. Keep a eye on it, it drops fast! Always have the bleeder screw closed before you release the brake lever. When brake fluid comes out with no bubbles, lock the bleeder screw. you should have a firm pedal. Go and do the front. Start with wheel farthest away from the reservoir. Always use clean DOT 4 brake fluid.

chris29
03-11-2002, 10:42 PM
I just got done puting my Stanless steel back brake line on today and all I did was take the cap off, pour some DOT4 brake fluid in it, then pump the brake lever a little at a time till it starts to a little hard then unscreew the nipple a little and air will come out. (When you unscreew it be sure you are holding the brake lever down the whole time then tightin it and pump some more) Keep doning this until there is no more air coming out. Then the brakes should work fine.