PDA

View Full Version : Ticking valves/help ASAP

EX_RIDER
03-11-2002, 04:16 PM
I just got done puting my 416 piston and XR cam in my 400ex.

But when I adjust them,do i still use the .004 for intake and .005 for exhaust cause it is a XR CAM? It is not stock?

It ticks REAL loud and we can't get it right.So I have to put the motor in TDC right?Bet when I do that,it kinda seems that only say 3 may be loose.Do I keep turing the motor till will get all of them free?

I really want to ride my quad tonight GUYS!!!

That tech section is so coning to me

Leo
03-11-2002, 05:51 PM
If 3 valves are loose, but one of the exhaust valves is real tight, your spinning the motor over the wrong way and activating the reverse decompression valve (it causes the R side exhaust valve to open, which makes that valve feel like it is very tight).. If you adjust your valve clearance lilke that it will be NOISY...

As your looking at the motor (from the R side, looking at the two access holes) you need to spin it counterclockwise.. DO NOT spin it clockwise at all or you will activate the decompression release...

Also make sure your looking at the "T" timing mark, and not the "F" timing mark when adjusting the valves..

Leo

JhallettEX
03-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Just so I know, what exactly happens and goes wrong when it turn it clockwise. What will it cause and what would you do to solve the new found prolem?

330exracer
03-11-2002, 06:24 PM
um basicly your vavles aren't adjusted right and u now have a loud *** mofo vavle tap. only way to fix this is to adjust the vavles right!!!!!!!!

breaks-alot
03-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Here’s another question. I just adjusted my valves and I think I got the F. I adjusted them all right (I think) but there a little noise when it’s in idle. So what’s my problem?

Thanks,
Ben#16

330exracer
03-11-2002, 06:42 PM
ok just do it over on t and you'll be fine. u don't wanna ware out your rockers or cam do yah? i think this is funny a 15 year old help out these old geeser it halarios.

Leo
03-11-2002, 07:14 PM
the decompression assembly on stock 400EX, and XR400 camshafts actually only works if the motor spins backwards, it's put on there to help lessen the effect of kickback (which is a bad thing if your trying to kick start your XR400)...

what happens if the motor spins over backwards it causes the R exhaust valve to open at TDC..

if this happens to happen while adjusting your valves, then you wind up with a R side exhaust vavle that will be VERY loosed.. Not particularly harmfull if corrected quickly (you will have a LOT of valve train noise..)

you need to use the T mark when adjusting the valves, not the F mark.

Leo

JabberJaw
03-11-2002, 07:28 PM
you need to use the "T" mark when adjusting the valves, not the "F" mark.

If you use the "F" mark instead of the "T" mark.... you will be really "F"ing "T"eed off!

400exRacerX
03-11-2002, 08:22 PM
This part of the camshaft rotates backwards, (in the red box). BTW this would be a xr cam.

breaks-alot
03-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Here’s a little review on how my bike is going. I have them at .004 and .005(I think they didn't move when I tightened the lock nut) and I think I had it on the T. But I have extremely ****y throttle response at low bottom end. Also I took it down the road a few times and at the top of my power band they’re pretty loud. The only other time you hear them is when it’s idling. It sounds like it’s a 1983 truck that is barley even running. Sorta sounds like I’m loosing compression. Do I have to tear it apart again? I want to ride this weekend, so I think I will just have Matt Bartoseic come over after he gets back from Georgia. Also 330exracer I am also 15 and you really didn't say anything I didn't know. In summary I just needa know if I can ride a weekend before I have to adjust them? Or do I have to not do anything on Friday night and fix my bike?

Thanks,
Ben#16

Leo
03-14-2002, 03:51 PM
if the valves are real noisy, something isn't right...

stop riding and find out what the problem is...

if you take a machine out riding for the weekned when you know it's not 100% right, your just begging for some expensive troubles...

Leo

BigBore81
03-14-2002, 04:33 PM
i have no problems withy my valves they are adjusted just fine. But... how much ticking is "ok" i'm just curious i'm sure they are gonna tick a little right?

breaks-alot
03-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Well I had some friends over today and we took it out. I put a new spark plug in and I guess my last ride it wasn't tightened enough. So that was about 3/4 of my problem. They still rattle a little at full throttle. So they should be fine for a weekend ride. I will tear the slow moving 400 down Monday to do some carb jetting also. Thanks for all of your help.

Ben#16