PDA

View Full Version : what would I need to be legal

44oEX
03-31-2004, 12:51 PM
I was just wandering what I would need to make a quad street legal. I know about blinkers, brake light, miroirs, speedo, horn, street tires and all that stuff . but with a solid axle could it still be done. What else would I need. I know it's hard but there has to be a loop hole somewhere. except making it a tree wheeler like the guy with the raptor. I live in canada but the laws sould still be pretty close. any lawyers out there?

thanks

sam the brave
03-31-2004, 01:07 PM
it is considered a car so it will also need an air bag and seatbelt

44oEX
03-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by sam the brave

are you just making fun of me or what?
you can't put a seat belt cause that would kill you if you crash.
and a airbag would just trow you off the quad.
and not all cars have air bags.

MOFO
03-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by sam the brave

no, it will not be considered a car.

it would be classified as a motorbike (aka motorcycle). Please show me a bike that has a seat belt and airbag... :rolleyes:

With all the work needed to convert your quad to a street legal motorbike, why not just buy a street bike that would out perform your quad and would be MUCH MUCH safer.

sam the brave
03-31-2004, 01:48 PM
it would be sick to have a street legal bike
but a motor cycle is a veichal with 3 or less wheels

i talk to my uncle about it when me and my cuz wanted to make one and the sealt belt law stopped us cuz it would kill u if u flipped on the rode

wilkin250r
03-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
no, it will not be considered a car.

it would be classified as a motorbike (aka motorcycle). Please show me a bike that has a seat belt and airbag... :rolleyes:

With all the work needed to convert your quad to a street legal motorbike, why not just buy a street bike that would out perform your quad and would be MUCH MUCH safer.

I'm not entirely certain, it would depend on state law. Some states classify anything with 4 wheels as a "car" and subject to the same laws, like a windsheild and seat belts, while a "motorcycle" has either two or three wheels. Some states will make exceptions and classify some 4-wheeled vehicles as "motorcycles"

THEbluYFZ450
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
checl bluetraxx there is a guy with a street legal raptor

MOFO
03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by THEbluYFZ450
checl bluetraxx there is a guy with a street legal raptor

hey's been a member here for awhile...

LegalEagle or something like that....

Yea I'm aware that some states might see a 4 wheeled vehicle as a car, but this is probably why they make you convert it to 3 wheels... I would guess. Isnt that why the guy with the Raptor made his a reverse trike?

I just think the money and effort needed to make a quad street legal could be used to purchase a bike that is designed for on road use. After you are done doing your conversions to make it street legal, I highly doubt it would do so well off-road.

RMX500
03-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Quad's are recognized as motorcycles because they cannot and do not have airbags or seatbelts. More importantly seatbelts.

Seatbelts and misc. features of things classified as cars, make them cars for insurance reasons. Cars can be made safer than quads, and are so they have seatbelts to prevent injury and insurance claims. Car classification is purely about insurance. It's more money to insure a car, and because it's possible to make them safer they charge you more to insure it. Also, they make seatbelts mandatory because they don't want people filing lawsuits for injuries without a seatbelt on.

Nobody making laws and nobody working for the insurance bureau's cares at all about whether seatbelts save lives or not, they just lower the frequency and overall chances of claims.

Motorcycles, quads and vehicles with 3 or less wheels cannot have seatbelts or airbags or any real safety features and are classified differently. They cost less to insure because they have less value to cover.

It's a really complex arrangement, if anyone would like to know more in depth feel free to add me to your contact list and ask questions.

In summary. Quads, bikes, trikes.. all motorcycles. Only cars get to be cars.

MOFO
03-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Wow...thanks for the information.

By any chance do you work for an insurance company? You kinda sound like my buddy that runs his own Agency... :D

wilkin250r
03-31-2004, 04:58 PM
I think that's the issue, though. In many states, a "motorcycle" is classified as a vehicle with 3 wheels or less, and thus have a different set of requirements, namely that they don't require a windshield or seat belts. Since a quad has more than three wheels, it does not fit into the classification of a "motorcycle" and thus is required to have a windshield and seat belts to be street legal.

This is why the guy with the Raptor changed his rear axle to a single wheel, so that it now has three wheels, thus fits into the classification of a "motorcycle" and doesn't need a windshield and seat belts.

MOFO
03-31-2004, 05:03 PM
but at the same time, I think I've heard of state's allowing quads to be made road legal with all 4 wheels still attached...still being referred to as a motorcycle when being registered with the state. I remember seeing articles in ATV mags about this.

either way, this thread proves you need to do your own research within your state (and country, for the thread starter) before you attempt to do anything.

RMX500
03-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I think that's the issue, though. In many states, a "motorcycle" is classified as a vehicle with 3 wheels or less, and thus have a different set of requirements, namely that they don't require a windshield or seat belts. Since a quad has more than three wheels, it does not fit into the classification of a "motorcycle" and thus is required to have a windshield and seat belts to be street legal.

This is why the guy with the Raptor changed his rear axle to a single wheel, so that it now has three wheels, thus fits into the classification of a "motorcycle" and doesn't need a windshield and seat belts.

Sorry but that's just not true. A quad in street legal form has never will likely will never require a seatbelt. This is because believe it or not (it should be obvious) a seatbelt does more harm than good on a quad. And a windshield is also not necessary because it's not so much a safety item as it is a convenience since riders are wearing helmets. Therefore it applies not to insurance in anyway and does not affect the classification of a vehicle, however cars must have windshields for a multitide of reasons.

And no I don't work for an insurance company but I speak regularly with the insurance companies and with local police so I have the lo-down on everything.

P.S - a vehicles classification is not dependant on the number of wheels, it's the number or axles that matters more, and even that is NOT the deciding factor.

MOFO
03-31-2004, 05:09 PM
OT a bit... but...

RMX500.... are you DarkManX that was banned before? Why are you claiming to be from costa rica when your other ID was from Canada?

Funny that you both have the same birthday, same quads and similar sig.

MOFO
03-31-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by RMX500
Sorry but that's just not true. A quad in street legal form has never will likely will never require a seatbelt. This is because believe it or not (it should be obvious) a seatbelt does more harm than good on a quad. And a windshield is also not necessary because it's not so much a safety item as it is a convenience since riders are wearing helmets. Therefore it applies not to insurance in anyway and does not affect the classification of a vehicle, however cars must have windshields for a multitide of reasons.

And no I don't work for an insurance company but I speak regularly with the insurance companies and with local police so I have the lo-down on everything.

P.S - a vehicles classification is not dependant on the number of wheels, it's the number or axles that matters more, and even that is NOT the deciding factor.

I was agreeing up until this post.

Helmets are not required in most states so that cannot be used as to why windshields are not required.

as for the classification of a vehicle, its not up the the insurance to determine that...the state determines what type of vehicle it is...truck, car....etc....when you are issued your plate and state registration.

Also, axles have no bearing on whether a vehicle is a car or truck. So this is not completely true either. I've seen motorcycles converted into 3 wheel trikes with a rear solid axle and they are still classified a motorcycle by the state.

brian-250
03-31-2004, 05:13 PM
OT a bit... but...

RMX500.... are you DarkManX that was banned before? Why are you claiming to be from costa rica when your other ID was from Canada?

Funny that you both have the same birthday, same quads and similar sig.

id put money on it

RMX500
03-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi, I do live in Costa Rica. San Isidro de general, it's a bit south of San Jose. I'm not sure I understand.

RMX500
03-31-2004, 05:23 PM
I was agreeing up until this post.

Helmets are not required in most states so that cannot be used as to why windshields are not required.

as for the classification of a vehicle, its not up the the insurance to determine that...the state determines what type of vehicle it is...truck, car....etc....when you are issued your plate and state registration.

Also, axles have no bearing on whether a vehicle is a car or truck. So this is not completely true either. I've seen motorcycles converted into 3 wheel trikes with a rear solid axle and they are still classified a motorcycle by the state.

yes the state does decide that, keep in mind most states provide insurance. the insurance branch of the state decides that. axles do have much bearing, hence why liscencing is different for vehicles with different numbers of axles.

wilkin250r
03-31-2004, 05:24 PM

But that's the reason some that quads CANNOT be made street legal in some states. I didn't say all states, but SOME states.

We may be getting a little confused, here. A motorcycle may be classified as a motorcycle on the title of ownership, but not for street legal use. For use on public streets, cars and motorcycles have different classifications, and thus are subject to different rules.

Some states do not have any provisions for a 4-wheeled motorcycle for street-legal use. If it does not fall under the legal classification as a street legal "motorcycle" than it must follow the same legal guidelines as a car, namely a windshield and seatbelts, but there are numerous others. If the states allow for a 4-wheeled "motorcycle" than you can make a quad street legal (I'm thinking New York is one of them) but if the state does NOT have any provisions for a 4-wheeled "motorcycle" than it falls under the same classification as a car, and must have a windshield, seat belts, ect. This is why in many states, you cannot make a quad street legal, unless you convert it to three wheels, thus allowing it to fall under the classification of a "motorcycle"

MOFO
03-31-2004, 05:24 PM
please... :rolleyes:

What really made it stand out was your "red" X in your sig. no one else that posts on the board has a single "red" X such as yours. After further inspection, your account is brand new... right after he was banned. Your birthdays are the same Jan, 2 1986.

...try again. The mod's usually dont mind people re-registering, but the board does NOT like liars. Keep that in mind...

MOFO
03-31-2004, 05:29 PM
yes the state does decide that, keep in mind most states provide insurance. the insurance branch of the state decides that. axles do have much bearing, hence why liscencing is different for vehicles with different numbers of axles.

Ummmm no. What state are you referring to?

My state, PA, does NOT provide insurance for the normal driver. I register my vehicle with the state of PA, they provide me with a plate designating whether is a truck, car or motorcycle. My insurance can refer to it however they want, but 99.9% of the time its the same as the state.

BTW, you can get insurance through the state of PA, but its usually for "high" risk drivers that cannot get insured through private company's... VERY expensive.

My truck has two axles (1 front & 1 rear), my fiancés car has 2 axles (1 front & 1 rear). Axles have NO effect on if its a car or truck. Now if your strictly talking about trucks, then it can change the classification of a truck if your dealing with semi's.

brian-250
03-31-2004, 05:53 PM
please... :rolleyes:

What really made it stand out was your "red" X in your sig. no one else that posts on the board has a single "red" X such as yours. After further inspection, your account is brand new... right after he was banned. Your birthdays are the same Jan, 2 1986.

...try again. The mod's usually dont mind people re-registering, but the board does NOT like liars. Keep that in mind...

Rebelrider4OOex
03-31-2004, 06:02 PM
ask popo hes a cop:eek2:

44oEX
03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Rebelrider4OOex
ask popo hes a cop:eek2:

he doesn't help me out. I ask him about a motor question the other day and he never replied.

OK so we have two page of replies and still no real answer.

Why are there some states that you can put a quad street legal? Is it just because you can have 4 wheeled motorcycle?

Does anybody know the laws in Canada?
Where could I find out if it's possible or not?

As far as why I don't just get a street bike I would really like to but I don't have any money and I already have a quad. So putting 200$ in blinkers and brake light... Is alot cheaper.

I also like to be different.

44oEX
03-31-2004, 06:40 PM
yeah that would be funny as long as it's not you on the quad.

RMX500
03-31-2004, 06:51 PM
just imagine rolling a quad with a seatbelt on

northeast400
03-31-2004, 07:22 PM
I think it would be cool to make it legal

TDBRPH
03-31-2004, 08:00 PM
Apparently here in Missouri quads can be street legalized as a car and must undergo the same scrutiny as a car would for inspection. Most importantly are DOT tires, 2 headlights a brake and tail light, parking brake. According to my conversation with the State Highway Patrol Headquarters since you can use hand signals turn signals are not required. The toughest thing is the seat belt. No where does it say how it can be attached so I imagine you have some room for adaptation in this area. Overall the most costly part is the DOT tires but Trailer tires would work for the rears and the radials they groove for MX would be perfect for the fronts....... I have been tempted but too lazy to try. Obviously all states and rules are different.

Triston