PDA

View Full Version : shock questions

vetteblues10
03-31-2004, 11:36 AM
ok i know these will be a simple questions for you guys to answer for me. i am just what goes now with the whole shock rebuild issue. i have a 2001 400ex with stock shocks. i have never had anything done to them. they really arn't that good anymore. on most jumps i bottom out. so i know i need to get work done to them. i was thinking about buying some nice new fronts( like elkas or something) and sending the rear out to get serviced. would this idea work ok? what kinda of fronts would anyone recomend for trail riding and harescrambles? will it affect how i get the rear done depending on what kinda of front i get? from the sounds of other threads, alot of you guys recomend having derisi do the servicing. what is the difference between a service and a revalve? so far everyone on this site has helped me out a ton so i am looking forward to your replies. thanks a ton guys.

300exOH
03-31-2004, 11:41 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track. The Elka's are awesome. Just have your rear shock rebuilt/resprung to match the Elka's and you'll be fine.

A revalve is to match a riders weight and riding style and a service is basically just a fluid change.

Pappy
03-31-2004, 11:41 AM
Just about any aftermarket front shock would probably put a smile on your face that soap wouldnt remove:p

I recommend Elka , either a dual rate or tripple rate with or without rezzys depending on your budget. Id also suggest having the rear done at the same time.

if you want to do it a bit different, buy up a set of works or pep's used and send them and your rear to have them redone.

if you just have a service done, normally oil and any other wear parts are replaced. a revalve will require different set up inside the shock body, and if buying used possibly a spring change would be needed.

what ever road you chose, you will be much happier with a decent set up over stock

redroost85
03-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Ya can't go wrong with any advice from Pappy!:p

Stock shocks/suspension=Ford Pinto

Aftermarket shocks/suspension=Cadillac:devil:

vetteblues10
03-31-2004, 12:04 PM
so would a servicing be good enough or would i be better off with a revalue? i guess what i am wondering is if a revalue will make it that much better? if i got just a service and became a better rider, would i be kicking my butt for not going out and getting a revalve too? i don't think that the rear has ever been valved or serviced before. :( would it be possible they would say that it is junk when i send it out? you guys are the best. thanks for helping me clear this up.

Pappy
03-31-2004, 12:08 PM
first off if your thinking of doing anything to the fronts ...forget it. they cant be rebuilt or serviced.

the rear stock shock should be properly set up for you. that may mean a revalve. and yes, its worth it. ive riden redone stock rear shocks that felt as good as aftermarket...and better then some:eek:

when it comes to suspension, dont skimp. if you only have enough money for the low end....keep saving because its kinda like sex, the more you can get the happier you will be :p

AlaskaSpeed
03-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
first off if your thinking of doing anything to the fronts ...forget it. they cant be rebuilt or serviced.

the rear stock shock should be properly set up for you. that may mean a revalve. and yes, its worth it. ive riden redone stock rear shocks that felt as good as aftermarket...and better then some:eek:

when it comes to suspension, dont skimp. if you only have enough money for the low end....keep saving because its kinda like sex, the more you can get the happier you will be :p

I knew there was a reason I was addicted to shocks.....:blah:

Pappy is correct in what he is telling you, I would skimp on any mod before thinking about going cheap on shocks. Once you go aftermarket suspension that has been built to suit your style, etc....you'll never go back....JIM

vetteblues10
03-31-2004, 02:09 PM
thanks pappy. alright so following your advice you, i will get the rear shock serviced and revalved. looking at www.derisiracing.com, it looks like it costs about $220 plus shipping. does that seem reasonable or am i reading the website wrong? i am guessing when i send it in they will ask me all the questions they need to get it set up for me. awesome so the rear is set. for fronts i am just wondering the difference between double and triple rate shocks? i am looking at elka's because i always hear good things about them. they seem reasonable in price. rezs would be sweet and i am guessing they are worth the extra clams. maybe i am looking for doule rate (becusae they look cheaper) with rezs. what price should i be looking for? thanks everyone. glad i got a new job for the summer, looks like i am going to need the extra cash.

kwatts400
03-31-2004, 02:26 PM
I've been having the same dilema. I'm having a hard time deciding between the works triple rates for the front for $370, and the elka replacement shocks for about $525. I'm just curious how much better those elkas will be over the works triples. After I get the fronts, I'm thinking about the millenium rebuild from Santo for the rear. Any help/thoughts would be apreciated.

PhilMoore
03-31-2004, 09:25 PM
I had a set of works tripple rate with no res on my 400EX. They are fantastic shocks for the price. If you are an aggressive trail rider, you will absolutely love them. I don't think I ever bottomed mine out. They do fade under heavy use, and start to "bounce". However, if you plan on racing, you will probably want to get a little higher grade shocks, or at least Works with remote res on them. I recently sold the trips to a riding buddy, and got a set of PEP. I haven't used the PEP yet, so I don't have an opinion (they look perty, that is my only opinion). My Works had 1/2 shafts and held up fine. The new PEP have 5/8 shafts and remote reservoir.

You ought to be able to find someone local who can re-oil, recharge, or rebuild your shocks for you since Works are very popular and rebuildable. Mine never leaked, and really only needed new oil/routine maintenance when I sold them. The guy I sold them to is running them on his 400EX and hasn't complained or cussed me out yet.

The works are much, much better than stock. Mine didn't have any sort of sag or ZPS type springs, so they matched the rear shock quite well as far as ride height. They did out perform the rear stock shock and it started bottoming because I was taking bigger jumps because the fronts could handle it.

Works also have a good resale value. I think mine cost about $350 with shipping. I used them for 2 years and sold them for $225.