PDA

View Full Version : 1995 300EX with rough idle and stalling

fanke19
03-31-2004, 04:56 AM
I did a brief search on this topic, and I came up with somebody suggesting adjusting the pilot screw for a rough idle...

Adjust your pilot screw on the bottom of the carb.......turn it in to lean it & out to richen it.....that should help

This is the story. We got a 1995 300EX brand new back in '95. This was a third quad at the time...a trail machine for my dad...we also had an '86 and an '87 250R. He had the first '87 250X when they first came out, so he knew it would be a great quad. In pure Honda fashion, the '95 300ex, as well as the '99 400ex I have now have always been ultra reliable...basically, start them, ride them, put them away.

Well, the 300ex has always been cold blooded...since day one. It has to be thoroughly warmed up before you think about plunking it in gear, or it will stall. No big deal, we've just always dealt with it. Well, now after being in the garage all winter, it's developed another little "quirk".

The idle is VERY VERY rough, it will start out level, then race, then level out, sometimes stall abruptly. It also sounds like it's missing during this viscious cycle.

We did all the basic maintenance, clean air filter, clean gas, new spark plug. We even adjusted the valves(by the way, they were right in tolerances after 9 years of action...GO HONDA). So if it wasn't for the stalling, we could probably live with this...but you can only deal with so much.

Should we bother with the carb settings, or is this something else? Help Please!

Raptor555
04-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Could be a dirty carb after 9 years I would think you might have some build up in there. Just clean it with gas and not carb cleaner. Carb cleaner is to harsh to use it will eat any rubber components in the carb. Also look for a vacumm leak on the carb boots. Start it up and mist some water on them and see if you see any air bubbles. Good luck