PDA

View Full Version : how do i get the holeshot?

westcoastmxer
03-30-2004, 09:25 PM
hey guys i suck at gettin the holeshot on my 300 i mean how do i get it to pull hard all the way?

bradley300
03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
short shift it, dont rev it all the way out. the motor goes alot faster if you shift about 3/4 thru the rev range

markk
03-31-2004, 08:26 AM
I try to watch the flagman, and see what little thing he does before me starts to move the flag, like the way he turns his hand to lift the flag, or the way he sets his hand down closer to his face to watch the clock, and try to count the amount of time between each group of riders, and u should be able to sorta get a feel for when he is gona let the flag drop! good luck thats my best advice!

300racer
03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
don't listen to markk he sit on the out side of the line and lets every body else go and them when he gets to the first turn he stops to make sure he is the last one to go around it if not he waves the other people through :D

markk
03-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Yeah 300racer is right im a Darrel! But at least i keep my machine off of those trees!

KY Woods Rider
03-31-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
short shift it, dont rev it all the way out. the motor goes alot faster if you shift about 3/4 thru the rev range

Amen to that. Many riders think the higher the motor is revving, the more power it's making. Well, it doesn't work that way, and you can easily see it for yourself by looking at a dyno chart. If you rev the motor enough to let the power fully peak and start to fall off, then you've waited too long to shift. The key is to shift just an instant before the motor reaches its peak power, which will be well below the engine's maxiumum RPM. This will insure that you're keeping the motor pulling in it's optimum RPM range at all times.

LT250Racer609
03-31-2004, 08:17 PM
dont listen to them about the flag men...it doesnt work all it gets you is stuck behind the gate. the flag man is NEVER on the same timing as the man who drops the gate...this is what you do...

In EVERY gate there is large Pins that hold up the gate next to every line up space...WATCH THOSE PINS...you cant miss them...they are huge and are what hold up the gate....NOW after the flag man goes through everyone and makes sure they are ready..he counts down...as soon as he gets to 3,2,1 WATCH THOSE PINS...the instant you see that Pin fall...HIT THE GAS...dont worry about the gate being down yet because even if the pin is down..you go forward there is nothing holding up the gate and your front wheels will knock over the gate...this may take practice but if you follow me and find these pins and watch them...you are GUARented top 5 in the first corner...

good luck!

markk
04-01-2004, 08:39 AM
IN xc racing there is no gates!!!!!

muff
04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by markk
IN xc racing there is no gates!!!!!

check his sig he's setup for mx :p

when your sittin there make sure you have the clutch out just before it starts to catch, if you hold it in all the way you cant be as quick, start in second also, it'll save time shifting, unless you have high gearing

James Parent
04-01-2004, 03:04 PM
start in second? ive never heard that but i have heard don't clutch second and third gear

TCracin440ex
04-01-2004, 05:41 PM
some 1 may have said this but slide foward towards the tank so when drop the clutch she wont wheelie off the line.....cuz if she wheelies and u gotta let off the gas to get the frontend down...there goes your holeshot.....after u get off the gate slide back to normal riddin position and keep her pinned....

WOOLIN
04-02-2004, 02:35 PM
GO FASTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE!:D

James Parent
04-02-2004, 05:41 PM
if the front end comes up.. dont' let off the gas to bring it back down.. feather the clutch

how do i get the holeshot?

turn off everyones gas

honda250xrider
04-02-2004, 05:57 PM
i lean forward toward the tank, my butt is in about the middle of the seat and i start in second, I let the clutch out enough to were it will move and then i apply the front brakes just enough to hold it, so when i left out the clutch it wont just be like dumping it and you will get less spin and usaully hook up better and once the gates drop just power shift intill you reach the corner and you should see a good result

fastkid400
04-05-2004, 07:49 PM
NITROUS!!!!!! LOL;)

stonerider250x
04-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
some 1 may have said this but slide foward towards the tank so when drop the clutch she wont wheelie off the line.....cuz if she wheelies and u gotta let off the gas to get the frontend down...there goes your holeshot.....after u get off the gate slide back to normal riddin position and keep her pinned....

i learned this the hard way:rolleyes: last saturday was my first race and during the qualifying moto when i was sitten at the gates i was in the normal riding postion with my quad in second gear. right when the gates dropped i popped the clutch and hit the gas hard.......thats the fast i have ever seen that thing stand up on the grab bar.:eek2: :o the next moto i had my balls on the gas cap:p