PDA

View Full Version : FCR or edelbrock?

quadmx7
03-30-2004, 07:10 PM
im about to be getting a 440 kit for my 400ex and was wanting some info on the FCR carb? what do yall think of it and how does it compare to the edelbrock 440 carb? so far i really like what i'v read about the edelbrock.

JustRace
03-31-2004, 09:50 AM
What I would do is get which ever one that you can get for the lowest price. Both carbs perform well, the edelbrock makes a little bit more low end hp, but both FCR's make more top end hp. So if I did mine all over again, I would just go with whichever I could get for the lowest price. I like my carb alot but both carbs are great.

shamisc
03-31-2004, 09:54 AM
I think the FCR is easier to tune.

EXrider65
03-31-2004, 02:41 PM
I found my Edelbrock carb used, it sat on the shelf in a garage for almost a year for $200. and it performs great all through the RPM and really hits hard on the mid - top end but then again I run a 13T on the front for crawling through ditchs and climbing over logs cause actually how fast can you run through the woods GOOD LUCK

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-31-2004, 03:24 PM
I hope to give some review on the edlebrock carb after this weekend. Since my husband sold my FCR to a customer:grr: and the FCR carbs have been on backorder for ever I went ahead and had the Eichner 440 carb overnight so I can race this weekend. I really like the FCR so I hope I won't be disappointed with the edlebrock.

Big - D Racing
03-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I hope to give some review on the edlebrock carb after this weekend. Since my husband sold my FCR to a customer:grr: and the FCR carbs have been on backorder for ever I went ahead and had the Eichner 440 carb overnight so I can race this weekend. I really like the FCR so I hope I won't be disappointed with the edlebrock.
Make sure you post those results. I have ridden both and do perfer the edelbrock eichner series (440 version is the same thing without the red anodizd cap and the etched eichner signature) and I think they are very comperable. I decide I liked the edelbrock better becuase of it's all billet and extremely large float bowl and the ease of tuning it. A lot of people say the FCR is easier but that is because they have no true experience with the edelbrock and the fcr is just what they have always been use too. For me if I need to make my gas mixture more lean or rich it is a simple twist of my dial on top of the carb. No need to change jets (because there is none), and no need to change the needle clip position based on your altitude of where you live and ride. What that means is I can ride my bike well below sea level, well above it, or right at it and still not have to touch my carb.

cals400ex
03-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
Make sure you post those results. I have ridden both and do perfer the edelbrock eichner series (440 version is the same thing without the red anodizd cap and the etched eichner signature) and I think they are very comperable. I decide I liked the edelbrock better becuase of it's all billet and extremely large float bowl and the ease of tuning it. A lot of people say the FCR is easier but that is because they have no true experience with the edelbrock and the fcr is just what they have always been use too. For me if I need to make my gas mixture more lean or rich it is a simple twist of my dial on top of the carb. No need to change jets (because there is none), and no need to change the needle clip position based on your altitude of where you live and ride. What that means is I can ride my bike well below sea level, well above it, or right at it and still not have to touch my carb.

since you have had hands on experience with both, how would you compare the power differences on low, mid and top end given both are jetted properly.

Big - D Racing
03-31-2004, 07:54 PM
I thik theedelbrock pulls harder on the bottom and a a bit more top end, but not much barely noticeable. I think the FCR is a little more powerful in the mid rpm's though. All in all both carbs are exremely alkie in terms of power, but the edelbrock does have a clear advantage in terms of torque.

400ex#18
03-31-2004, 08:11 PM
i think that with the 440 motor the Eichner 440 carb from edelbrock is much better. It is not hard to tune in. My teck guy workes with lauren duncan a lot, and they say to run the edel brock 440 carb with the 440 kit, and put the 21 needle in 15 clicks up from the bottom, and run a yfz thumb thottle with raptor cabe, and it will open the throttle all the way. I have been running mine and it is excellent. And also run on tooth bigger than stock in front, Not smaller, it just seems to run better. With the FCR i haven't really read or seen much on them so i don't know, but i LOVE my Eichner 440 carb, and how it feels!!!

nasty88r
03-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Are you guys able to leave the red adjusting knob on the carb because when I leave it on, the gas tank pushes down on it. So I took it off and put the plug back in. So now everytime I want to adjust it I have to move the tank and instal the adjuster.. Is there any way around that?? As for the throttle opening you just take off the thumb throttle cover and grind a little off of the thumb throttle stop then it will open all the way and it won't cost you anything..

cals400ex
04-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
I thik theedelbrock pulls harder on the bottom and a a bit more top end, but not much barely noticeable. I think the FCR is a little more powerful in the mid rpm's though. All in all both carbs are exremely alkie in terms of power, but the edelbrock does have a clear advantage in terms of torque.

what jetting did you run in the fcr?

Big - D Racing
04-01-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure it was a friends carb and he jetted it for me and I ran it for 2 weeks.

400ex#18
04-01-2004, 05:57 PM
i do not run with the adjusting screw, but you can, YOu have to prop the take up with some foam or so something, but the plastics don't fit well. You could take a styraphone(?) ball and cut in it so that the nob will not be pushed then put the tank on. It shouldn't really have to be adjusted much after you tune it in though. Only like 1 or 2 clicks up or down. But i grinded mine out and you will WILL not get all that you can with it, you need to get the other one to make it run best. I have run both!, and the yfz one works best, but you must run a raptor cable!

BIGRED400
04-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Heard alot of negative on these carbs, alot of positive on FCR's

hondaexryda
04-01-2004, 07:32 PM
F C R >>> edelbrock

JustRace
04-02-2004, 10:39 AM
The edelbrock carb is very easy to adjust, and they have the best technical support around. If you call them or e-mail them a guy named Chris will help you with whatever you need. Also for the guy that was talking about running the 21 needle, are you sure thats the needle that is in the carb? 21 is a very very rich needle. In my 440 I only went with the 17 and it runs fine as far as the ratio goes. It was way lean on top end with the 15 in it.

Hondaluva
04-02-2004, 10:47 AM
F C R >>> edelbrock

Hondaexryda...You gotta give us more than that. What is your basis for comparison? Results? If we weren't here to learn we wouldn't be here.

cals400ex
04-02-2004, 12:32 PM
yeah, a hands on experience with both carbs would be nice. however, both need to be jetted properly. if one isn't, it could run worse than stock. if some one was to compare these two i would assume it would take hours of tuning with both carbs to get them both dialed to where it should be. well, it may take that long with the fcr because i have one. maybe the edelbrock won't take that long.

K_Fulk
04-02-2004, 03:21 PM
When i had my regular edelbrock it had good bottom end when i got it tuned in. But it seemed like it would get worse and worse every ride till i readjusted it again. I didnt run it with the adjusting screw in either. Maybe something was wrong in the carb?

I think its easier tuning the fcr. But i have been around that type of carb more. Like Big D said.

Also my fcr has is easier on the tumb in my opinion. My edelbrock was stiff compared to the fcr. And it also seemed like the edelbrock wore it out the thumb more beacuse you had to push it farther to open it up all the way.
Buddy of mine has a eichner series edelbrock on his 400 and it seem to be easy to push than my regular edelbrock was.

In the end i just feel better overall about the fcr with my expierence with both.

JustRace
04-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
When i had my regular edelbrock it had good bottom end when i got it tuned in. But it seemed like it would get worse and worse every ride till i readjusted it again. I didnt run it with the adjusting screw in either. Maybe something was wrong in the carb?

I think its easier tuning the fcr. But i have been around that type of carb more. Like Big D said.

Also my fcr has is easier on the tumb in my opinion. My edelbrock was stiff compared to the fcr. And it also seemed like the edelbrock wore it out the thumb more beacuse you had to push it farther to open it up all the way.
Buddy of mine has a eichner series edelbrock on his 400 and it seem to be easy to push than my regular edelbrock was.

In the end i just feel better overall about the fcr with my expierence with both.

I love the twist throttle on mine, but I can tell it is stiff and would definately tire my thumb out if i had a thumb throttle on it. My EX has ran exactly the same since i've had the carb, and I have had mine over 2 years now. I run at the dragstrip and my times have been very consistent so I would say that my performance doesn't change.

However if you could get one cheaper than the other which would you go with. Say you could find one cheaper than the other by 50 to 100 dollars, would the FCR still win out over the edelbrock even if it was that much more expensive? I'm just wondering if your problems with the edelbrock would have been fixed, then would you just buy whichever you could get for the lowest price?

K_Fulk
04-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Maybe there was something wrong with my carb. But i never tried to figure it out. I wanted something that didnt kill my thumb.

If there was a price diffrence of 100 it might affect my decision but 50 bucks more I would probly just drop the extra cash for the fcr. Assuming were talking 440 version compared to a fcr.

It would be hard to go back to the regualr edelbrock. After having my fcr. The 39mm just has a lot more mid and top compared to the regualr edelbrock. The 440 version is the way to go.
Me and a buddy of mine motors both had the same mods other than him having stock bore and the eichner carb. I had a 440 with the 39mm. Both had the same compression brand piston same headwork etc. We were both pretty close on the bottom. But i would usually pull him 4 or 5 bikes at the end of 100yds.

I'm sure the twist throttle would feel a lot better over the thumb with the edelbrock.

nasty88r
04-02-2004, 06:44 PM
How do you tell if you have the 400 or 440 carb?? I just got my 440 ex that had the carb on it already. The carb that is on it is the eichner with the red intake bell. Is that the 400 or 440 carb or is there another way to tell????

K_Fulk
04-02-2004, 06:45 PM
The eichner is the 440 carb.

quadmx7
04-02-2004, 10:40 PM
i think i am going to get the edelbrock 440 carb. i like what i'v read on this fourm and reading other things. it seems like a really sweet carb and should be good enough for me.