PDA

View Full Version : :**( More problems this sucks!!! A-arm help ASAP

Greg Z
03-30-2004, 07:02 PM
hey well.. I fixed that bolt problem... so yeah im just sitting there bored.. so i look at my new set of a-arms and im so happy so i grab the bottom a-arm for the right side.. I go to put it on the bushings are to thick about 1/8th of an inch on each side

I got pics ONCE again.. I dont think I can actually bend the mount around I think that would be to much .. Plus theres guessets at thte bottom of the mount which would only make the top make it bend if i were to use a hammer...

I need experts on this one...

By the way I also did the top a-arm.. Same thing to thick 1/8th of an inch...

http://www.freewebs.com/whatwouldyoudiefor/a%2Darms/Not%20fitting/100%5F0010.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/whatwouldyoudiefor/a%2Darms/Not%20fitting/100%5F0013.JPG

could these be for a cannondale or a 250r or another quad in general. it looks like if the bushing was a little smaller it would fit in perfectly...

If you need more visual.. I got a couple more pics.. so instent message me on aim for them.. my sn is newjacksm...

Thanks...

- GReg

Tommy 17
03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
looks like its a 250r a-arms... get out the grinder or call JB and try to get a differnt bushing:(

Greg Z
03-31-2004, 05:03 AM
bump

punker69q
03-31-2004, 06:45 AM
They look like 250r a-arms to me also. If you bought these a-arms new, send them back, but if you got them from e-bay, just go to any competent machine shop and they will modify the bushings for you. I wouldn't suggest that you try to bend your stock bracket, because they will be way open to make those bushings fit.

Also, ask for a price before you let a machine shop play with your bushings and if you can, unmount them from your a-arms and get a precise mesurement of the width they need to be. They shouldn't ask you for more than an hour (~40$) of work)

From the pic I cannot tell, but your steels bushings seems to be narrow enought to fit between your brackets, if not, you can have them machined also and it's not something long to do, so this could maybe another 40$ max if the shop know what they are doing.

redrunner
03-31-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
call JB and try to get a differnt bushing:(

;)
I always like to try and use factory parts for new installations, that's what you got here. Tweaking and fabricating is for when you absolutely need to. You will be much better off getting the right parts, heck they may send them for free if your nice to then, if not spend the money there rather than machining them.

jonc623
03-31-2004, 08:27 AM
hey i just put 250r ars-fx aarms on my 400 had to take them to a machine shop and have them machined to fit take your old aarms with you and have them cut the new ones to the same size as the old take it out of the metal not the bushing and then they will go right in

QuadRacer041
03-31-2004, 10:35 AM
send em back and get some houser's

Greg Z
03-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by punker69q
They look like 250r a-arms to me also. If you bought these a-arms new, send them back, but if you got them from e-bay, just go to any competent machine shop and they will modify the bushings for you. I wouldn't suggest that you try to bend your stock bracket, because they will be way open to make those bushings fit.

Also, ask for a price before you let a machine shop play with your bushings and if you can, unmount them from your a-arms and get a precise mesurement of the width they need to be. They shouldn't ask you for more than an hour (~40$) of work)

From the pic I cannot tell, but your steels bushings seems to be narrow enought to fit between your brackets, if not, you can have them machined also and it's not something long to do, so this could maybe another 40$ max if the shop know what they are doing.

the steel is actually still wider then the mount.. im sending back the a-arms for a full refund and im just gonna go with like burgard or houser..... depending on the money

-Greg

Jnine
03-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Hello Guys:

Those are DEFINITELY 400EX arms, and when you say that they are about 1/8" too thick on each side, you are very close. Actually the 400 EX is 44mm between ears and the 250R is 52mm. The arms are the same, but the mounts must account for the 8mm difference.

Talk to you later.

redrunner
04-01-2004, 04:56 AM
So to clear it up in my mind, just the bushings and spacer tube would have to be changed? that is what you are saying, correct?

Jnine
04-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Possibly all you would need to change would be the bushings & spacer tube. It depends on the width of the steel sleeve, and the shoulder of the new bushing. If you have a bushing with an 1/8" shoulder, then your steel sleeve that is the welded part of the a-arm can be no longer than 1.48" (hopefully a little less for clearance) If you can find a bushing with a thinner shoulder, then the welded part of the a-arm can be a little longer. Either way you only have 44 mm (1.732) to work with. If the welded sleeve is too long, the game is over.