PDA

View Full Version : taking off my a-arms... ran into problem *PICS*

Greg Z
03-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Well i came home around 2:30 today ran into the garage started taking off all my crap for my new a-arms.. Well Cotter pins I HATE it took me an hour just to get 1 cotter pin out because of the way it was angeld and how long it was and wasnt short enough to clear a wall. all in all it tiwsited and i couldnt stragithen it out and i dremel the hell out of it cut it off and WAS PISSED... so on and so forth about an hour later im starting to actaually take all the a-arm off. I soon see my AC bumper is in the way to take off the top part of the a-arm to your right looking at it and yeah.. ok took off the bumper now im ready to take that one bolt off.. I go right ahead its tight as ehll I notice with the right sizes and all I try pushing it down to losen it up before i start actually taking it off.. anyways IT STRIPS!!!! i start screaming all the curse words you can think of... ok so I still had 1 other side to loosen up.. I went to do it .. to tight.. Stripped it but not to bad.. I got pics to show you... anyways I need help to take off these damn bolts before I go insane.. I realllly REALLY dont wana tap a 13mm sprocket on there I tryed it and the only way i could do it is with some one elses finger there and wont care if i bang his fing at the speed of 90 mph lol...

http://www.freewebs.com/whatwouldyoudiefor/a%2Darms/phase1/100%5F0004.JPG

toby400ex
03-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Have you tried just takin the nut off, that bolt doesnt like to turn when its tightened by a nut on the other side. And get some six sided sockets, they rock.

JDiablo
03-30-2004, 05:32 PM
try a set of vice grips might take you awhile to get lose but they will come

Doibugu2
03-30-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm sure you don't want to hear anything else, but can you make them pics smaller.

But, I can't see why a pair of channel locks wouldn't hold that nut. Are you spinning the nut now, because when I took mine off, I was able to break them free before even putting a socket on that side.

That thing about the bumper is a pain in the arse. Make sure when you put the new bolts on you put them on the other way so you don't have to take the bumper off to take the a-arms off.

I feel your pain, though. After I brought my quad back outside to finish putting together, I had to take some things off 3 times before it was right.

Greg Z
03-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Have you tried just takin the nut off, that bolt doesnt like to turn when its tightened by a nut on the other side. And get some six sided sockets, they rock. Yeah i stripped that side to unfortuantly!!!. oh yeah any one like my quad stand.. a plastic bucket with a hub cap that i found on the side of the highway :):devil:

JOEX
03-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I'm sure you don't want to hear anything else, but can you make them pics smaller.

Agreed:macho

You shouldbe able to some vise grips and/or channel locks in there.

Good quality tools are very helpfu tool;)

Greg Z
03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
OMG yet another problem BUT i did get off the bolt :) im posting another UNFORTUANTLY..

Ralph
03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
back to mechanics 101, never try to tighten or loosen a nut on the bolt, use a socket or wrench to hold the bolt while turning the nut.

Greg Z
03-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
back to mechanics 101, never try to tighten or loosen a nut on the bolt, use a socket or wrench to hold the bolt while turning the nut. ha yeah i know i just ment like break it so it at least TURNS! lol

gump
03-30-2004, 10:14 PM
get rid of those 12 point sockets!!!!! try loosing a swingarm on a z with out 6 point sockets.. possable but hell of a mess when you do

foleyit
03-31-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by gump
get rid of those 12 point sockets!!!!! try loosing a swingarm on a z with out 6 point sockets.. possable but hell of a mess when you do

Definitely get rid of those 12 point sockets. Always loosen the the nut never the bolt.

03-31-2004, 10:49 AM
Greg Z. Please go out to www.irfanview.com and download it. That way you can resize your pics. Posting pics the size of a tractor trailer for people to look at sucks...:cool: and do you honestly think anyone waits 4 hours for your pics to load???

I"m on the fastest possible connection you can have to the internet and it takes 3+ minutes for the above pics to load. ;)

Let irfanveiw be your friend..

foleyit
03-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Greg Z. Please go out to www.irfanview.com and download it. That way you can resize your pics. Posting pics the size of a tractor trailer for people to look at sucks...:cool: and do you honestly think anyone waits 4 hours for your pics to load???

I"m on the fastest possible connection you can have to the internet and it takes 3+ minutes for the above pics to load. ;)

Let irfanveiw be your friend..

Rico, that is funny. I probably would have responded earlier but the pics didn't show up until this morning. J/K but it sure did a long time to load.

400exdad
04-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Irfanview rocks. Its small and its free.

Get some 6 sided sockets.... if thats not what you used. They tend to slip a lot less.

tstrenuous10
04-05-2004, 12:47 PM
have you thought that it might be a left handed thread?

barry rhames
04-05-2004, 08:12 PM
no its right hand threads just do the best you can get the 6 point sockets and if it dont work cut them of and go to the hardware store and get some more

kbass24emtp
04-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Go to Sears. They have sockets for stripped out bolts.

250rmike
04-06-2004, 11:18 AM
also get a set of sockets that grip the flat portion of the nut not the edges

REC
04-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Dude,

That is frustrating as I dont know what.
Get your self a snap-on wrench and socket 6-point.
They have what is called flank drive and they rarely slip or strip.
That still might not help you this time. You can try tapping a standard socket on the stripped nut or use vise grips, etc. You might have to get a little creative.
Hope this helps
REC