PDA

View Full Version : How do you know your jetted

03-11-2002, 01:15 PM
Ok we always have jetting questions by the 100's,,,but here's mine. When can you say I"m jetted perfect,,or is there a such thing. My quad fires up easily,,has tons of power,,from bottom to top,,but I always feel I could jet better,,is there an end to this quest. I feel like I could get more power from the middle of a gear and up,,,but when at the top of the gear WOT,,it doesn't seem to bog and never backfires or pops in anyway when I back off the throttle.. I feel like it's jetted correct,,since I never hesitate, bog, or backfire.

I've also never done a plug check either since there's so many additives to the gas now a days,,should I try the plug check..what's ya'll's opinion on this,,,,should I just stick with the theory,,,if it's not broke don't fix it??????? tanks....:D

wscotthougland
03-11-2002, 01:29 PM
there is an article at dirt wheels that is talking about jetting if your interested, but my opinion is if it isn't broke, don't fix it:).

http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=138

MOFO
03-11-2002, 01:36 PM
I agree with that idea of thinking as well. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

But, if you feel the need to rip and tear, which I know you do :D ....go with the plug test. Warm the quad up to normal temps. check your idle circuit...then your 1/4 throttle....then half, then WOT.....This should give you a better idea of where your jetting is.

Eric

MadcapEX
03-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Man I have raced cars,boats, bikes you name it. Always try to make it better until you make it worse then go back one step.
IF IT AINT BROKE YOU CAN PROBABLY STILL FIX IT!!!!!:D

stevengates45
03-11-2002, 02:28 PM
I say if it aint broke, dont fix it! It seems when my bike is runnin good & i try to do something to it to make it work better, I just always mess something up that I have to fix!

03-11-2002, 03:15 PM
well, the way it is, i ride it till she blows, then find the prob, and upgrade wile its all apart.

Troy86250r
03-11-2002, 07:17 PM
I would do a plug check and go from there. My brothers friends race car was running just fine and he ran an 11 flat in the quarter mile so he kept doing plug checks and dropping down on the jet sizes and got it to 10.6 secounds before it was too lean. So you might be able to get more out of it, its worth a try.

Wingnut
03-11-2002, 08:17 PM
My philosophy is, "if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is." However, I don't recomend this. The problem with a plug check is that it gives an over all jetting reading, or for the main, it is not specific to a particular range(pilot, needle, main) Read the Dirtwheels article I found it very helpful. It will give you a good idea of what to play around with.

beerock
03-11-2002, 10:49 PM
jetting a bike right can release alot of power.

I always do plug checks. when I install a new plug I do wot runs and check the plug, and then note if it could use some leaning out.
I was running a 190, I went to a 180 and gained some power. I should be running a 175 main, but I like to be a litlle rich.

MOFO
03-12-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Wingnut
My philosophy is, "if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is." However, I don't recomend this. The problem with a plug check is that it gives an over all jetting reading, or for the main, it is not specific to a particular range(pilot, needle, main) Read the Dirtwheels article I found it very helpful. It will give you a good idea of what to play around with.

nope. There ARE ways of doing the plug test for each circuit of the carb.

Eric

Wingnut
03-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Eric, how? Every thing I have ever read about plug checks says to go WOT through every gear. That would only give a reading for the main since it is the jet being used at WOT.

03-12-2002, 09:23 AM
I guess you could kill the motor in the middle of whatever circuit your in.:confused: :huh

I think I'm just paranoid it's not perfect,,, when it probably couldn't get tuned any better...:o

Wingnut
03-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I think I'm just paranoid it's not perfect,,, when it probably couldn't get tuned any better...:o

I have that problem too. That is what causes the "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is" problem I have.