PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud! - questions...

MOFO
03-30-2004, 02:56 PM
yesterday I was attempting to setup an auction on a gun broker site for my father...well I found out my credit card number was denied... very strange I thought.

well after looking into it further, it was declined because some scum of the earth changed my address and phone number. I called Discover and they canceled it right away and said I caught it in time before they could use it. I also noticed there were no strange charges to it... the thing that really makes me angry is that discover said they have a record of someone calling in with my social security number and all information needed to do this!!! :mad:

Here is the address and phone number listed on my account before it was canceled.

5632 VAN NUYS BLVD APT 479
VAN NUYS, CA 91401-4602
PHONE (818) 414-5189

I have tried calling the number and obviously no one answers... just rings then goes to a generic voice mail. Discover said they are reporting it to their credit fraud investigators....

My question is... what else can I do and has anyone seen or heard this address before? I really want to do everything I can to help make sure these SOB's are caught!!!

Thanks!

Guy400
03-30-2004, 03:00 PM
What frightens me even more is how they got your social security number. With that they can just about do anything. Identity theft is an ever increasing crime and is sometimes difficult to spot. Go to your local bank (where you've got your checking and savings accounts) and talk to a representative there. Tell them the story and they can generally point you in the right direction.

Syrus
03-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Well, the most popular way to get info like Social no# would be the net, if i were you, id check out a program that deletes all unwanted cookies in your computer, and to erase all stored info. I use Window Washer, its very good, you can download it for free with a 30 day trial, search for it on google.

MOFO
03-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks... I think I may do that.

I also agree the scariest part is the fact they had my SS number. When discover told me they had that, my stomach hit the floor.

Tomorrow I am going to run one of those credit checks and make sure I dont have any open accounts from someone else.

MOFO
03-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Well, the most popular way to get info like Social no# would be the net, if i were you, id check out a program that deletes all unwanted cookies in your computer, and to erase all stored info. I use Window Washer, its very good, you can download it for free with a 30 day trial, search for it on google.

I'm very good at cleaning my computer up with programs such as that. Also I NEVER have entered my SS number on a computer. Alot of company's hate dealing with me because I refuse to give it out when verifying information. This is what really bugs me... I really protect my SS number and now I find out someone has it!

popo
03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Most thiefs will find out your information from your garbage.

People end end throwing out old checks, credit card statements, utility bills. CREDIT CARD RECEIPTS

chucked
03-30-2004, 03:33 PM
www.mapquest.com

MOFO
03-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Yep, I agree about the trash. This is one area I know I lack in... I usually just rip up applications then throw them out. I will be picking up a cross shredder tomorrow.

03-30-2004, 05:17 PM
little late now to buy a shredder...they already have everything they need...good luck :(

03-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Mofo..............Me, you and my little friend here need to pay a visit to Cali...:mad:

Bad Habit
03-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Swing by the house and pick me up on the way, there's safety in numbers. :devil:

MOFO
03-30-2004, 06:48 PM
I appreciate the backup guys... :devil:

I couldnt resist... :cool:

elite ATV1
03-30-2004, 07:07 PM
i got a chromed out 9 wana pick me up 2 lol

03-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by elite ATV1
i got a chromed out 9 wana pick me up 2 lol pic would help

Tommy 17
03-30-2004, 07:50 PM
mofo u need any long range support let me know

EvilJester400EX
03-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Family oriented ATV site? You guys are posting pics of guns. :huh

logan
03-30-2004, 07:55 PM
i have a 7mm Riger with a Liepold scope here if you all wont help :devil:

Guy400
03-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Family oriented ATV site? You guys are posting pics of guns. :huh Guns are legal. Also, they're just pics of guns--not pics of them being pointed at anyone or being used in an unsafe manner:huh

logan
03-30-2004, 08:04 PM
no kiding some one needs to take a chill pill:p

Guy400
Originally posted by Tommy 17
mofo u need any long range support let me know I'll help :devil:

Bad Habit
:huh I'm with Guy.

BTW, I take my whole family shooting, so it's a family sport

Bad Habit
03-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
I'll help :devil:

A muzzle brake???? girlie man :blah:

j/k at my advancing age, I'm finding them more appealing.

Guy400
03-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
A muzzle brake???? girlie man :blah:

j/k at my advancing age, I'm finding them more appealing. All I hear is a crack and there's virtually no kick :macho

And from muzzle brake to the complete opposite:eek:

Juggalo
03-30-2004, 08:20 PM
mount up

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/200000/207600/207622/products/4564683.jpg

Bad Habit
03-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
mount up

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/200000/207600/207622/products/4564683.jpg

LMFAO, that literally made me laugh out loud.:D

Bean
03-30-2004, 10:12 PM
raising an army, let me come to, i want to be captain

elite ATV1
03-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Re: safety in numbers is always good

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by elite ATV1
i got a chromed out 9 wana pick me up 2 lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pic would help

RytM1
03-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
My question is... what else can I do and has anyone seen or heard this address before? I really want to do everything I can to help make sure these SOB's are caught!!!

Back to the subject at hand....

Mofo, start by making out a report with your local Police Dept.
Also call the credit bureaus (TransUnion, Equifax, Experian...if you need phone numbers, let me know), and have a fraud alert put on your name/SSN. This way if someone tries to open an account using your information, they have to contact you and verify it first. That doesn't stop what happened in this case though. There is no telling how/where someone got your info (if they want it, they will get it). Over the winter, I investigated a number of EBay cases where peoples accounts got hacked, along with some credit card info changed. All of this stuff was done by a Russian-Ukranian based group (which the Postal Inspectors, and Feds are still on the trail of). The bad thing is that they are always a step or two ahead of everyone. By the time society realizes what happens and does something to prevent it, they have already come up with some other way to get you.

xr50layke
03-31-2004, 06:58 AM
mount up

rotflmfao x 10

someday ... maybe when I have $200 :p
http://www.czusa.com/product.img/5.jpg

MOFO
03-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
Back to the subject at hand....

Mofo, start by making out a report with your local Police Dept.
Also call the credit bureaus (TransUnion, Equifax, Experian...if you need phone numbers, let me know), and have a fraud alert put on your name/SSN. This way if someone tries to open an account using your information, they have to contact you and verify it first. That doesn't stop what happened in this case though. There is no telling how/where someone got your info (if they want it, they will get it). Over the winter, I investigated a number of EBay cases where peoples accounts got hacked, along with some credit card info changed. All of this stuff was done by a Russian-Ukranian based group (which the Postal Inspectors, and Feds are still on the trail of). The bad thing is that they are always a step or two ahead of everyone. By the time society realizes what happens and does something to prevent it, they have already come up with some other way to get you.

Wow...thank you for the info. I'll be sure to follow up with alot of this information. As for those credit numbers, if you have them, PM me if you dont mind. I'm running a credit report today and I want to prevent any future accounts being opened.

Thanks again!

seatec
03-31-2004, 07:40 AM
It is good practice to check your balances every week if not more to check for weird charges.
You should also run a credit check like Equifax every 3 months.
Often you will find that some yahoo typed in the wrong information and a loan or something is actually showing on your report instead of theirs. Honest mistake but possible.
Good luck with your Cyber hunt.

spincr4hire
03-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by popo
Most thiefs will find out your information from your garbage.

People end end throwing out old checks, credit card statements, utility bills. CREDIT CARD RECEIPTS

yeah, buy a shredder. $20 well spent

JustRace
03-31-2004, 11:01 AM
I have had a couple of friends that didn't get so lucky. Two of my friends had their information stolen and then it was used in Europe on a nice long vacation apparantly. Hopefully you will get everything figured out and nothing bad will happen.

FreekShow
03-31-2004, 02:44 PM
mount up

Lol, Think I just sh*t my pants laughing!

THEbluYFZ450
03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
wow, you guys are packing some heat :p

EvilJester400EX
04-05-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Guns are legal. Also, they're just pics of guns--not pics of them being pointed at anyone or being used in an unsafe manner:huh

Just cracking a joke? I go hunting sometimes.

4OOex
04-05-2004, 03:12 AM
[QUOTE]Most thiefs will find out your information from your garbage.

unless its a cross cut shredder its pretty easy to piece the stuff back together i just save my old documents and throw them in my grill after i cook up some grub not much chance of piecing ashes back together

MOFO
04-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by 4OOex
[QUOTE]Most thiefs will find out your information from your garbage.

unless its a cross cut shredder its pretty easy to piece the stuff back together i just save my old documents and throw them in my grill after i cook up some grub not much chance of piecing ashes back together

no worry's... I just picked up a cross shredder... this thing must be confused with a garbage disposal cause it eats anything I feed into it!