PDA

View Full Version : FMF MegaMaxII vs. others????

quadman22
03-11-2002, 11:54 AM
does anyone have the FMF MegaMax II pipe? how good is it? how does it compare to other pipes such as... supertrapp IDS2,WB E-series,etc. if you have a megamaxII can you post a pic too? thanx

03-11-2002, 12:55 PM
hey there,

I just bought myself a FMF MagaMaxII yesterday. I went to my honda dealer and he said that the silencer gives you good power gains in the low and mid ends. There is an added bit of power added to the top end too. I am going to install it tonight and also put in my new k&n filter and re-jet it. I will try to let you know how it performed tomorrow

Dan :devil

CranMan
03-11-2002, 01:11 PM
I have a Megamax 2. I cant compare it to anything but the stock pipe, but it's alot better than stock. I put the pipe on and tried it with a stock air filter and jets and I noticed a good improvement. Mostly it seemed to rev faster and pull harder. Then I re-jetted and put in a K&N and it was even better. I think the FMF is a good pipe. It may not be the best, but the price is pretty good...

JB's 400ex
03-11-2002, 02:33 PM
I was dead set on a MegaMax for a long time. I dug further into reviews and found that from what I read it seems to be better suited for Utility applications. It does improve lower to mid range but very little on the top. For not much more and especially for a one time purchase like a pipe I would go with the WB e-series. I have been completely happy with it. Not to knock the MegaMax but the e-series has a little better sound to it. It seems a little more throaty if you know what I mean. There is a review on it in the reviews section and also look back at old dirtwheels magazines and the e-series always come out #1 or #2 for performance.

NewRider
03-11-2002, 03:42 PM
The MegaMaxII seemed to add significant low end and mid range power increases. The high end was a noticeable gain, but no serious gains in this area. Since low and mid range power is what I was after, its been a very good choice in exhausts for me. :)

This pic isnt a close up of the exhaust, but its the only one I have on the comp at the moment.

NewRider

03-11-2002, 04:30 PM
I had the first version of megamax and it worked great. The original mount to the headpipe caused mine to break and they sent me a new power core. By then I had ordered a Double Barrel. I broke the Double Barrel and put the new power core on so I could keep going riding while I was waiting, and the power core gave me more bottom end then the double barrel. If your interested I would be willing to sell the power core with a Dyno jet jet kit pertty cheap and can telll you that this set up will give you 4hp's on bottom, 3 more peak hp's and I think 2 more hp's way up on top. It's a really good set up with significantly notice able power gains. Call Dyno jet and they"ll give you the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure I'm right on with these numbers. Let me know if your interested at hippiemcgrath@cs.com Thanks friend, best of luck either way Later.

golikesnot250r
03-11-2002, 06:42 PM
Hey does anybody know how that new FMF Quiet silencer works? If anybody knows I could sure use some help picking a silencer for my 250r. Thanks

03-11-2002, 09:11 PM
NewRider,

Like I said in my other post, i just got my MegaMax II and i was wondering how many disc do you have attached to it? Also are you running a k&n air filter with it? And one more thing, what size main jet are you running?

thanks,
Dan:devil

K_Fulk
03-11-2002, 10:36 PM
If you want power form a slip on get a white bros. or a yosh.
I had a megamax and wasnt to impressed with the power. Then it broke and i got a DMC then i was impressed.

NewRider
03-12-2002, 05:31 AM
crazy,

Im running 10 discs, K&N with modified airbox lid, JE 10.8, with an XR400 cam. Im running a 165 main and it performs great, plug has a nice color to it.

NewRider